Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
grrrrr or is that ARRRRRRG....

I knew the laser was a farr, but put Kirby down......oh well, he did design the small on, Tony castro who designed my boat did the SB3 version....... yes it is a bit tender to a degree based on coments from an owner here in Edmonds both David and I know who recently sold his. But still a fun boat, and barren to a degree too. About the same length etc as my Arcadia, but half the wt, along with 40-50 secs faster.

I did not realize the K30 was a newer design, thought it was the Kirby half ton that Clarks initially speced, then declined, Kirby had built and a few others bought, the Clarks built later as the SJ30, with a bit more sail/ballast to make the half ton rule or some such thing...... then again, sometimes the brain fogs up, and confuses facts from facts. The SJ is still a quick boat for around here.

A farr 1020 if one can find one is another I like, but not many around. A boat along with the L28 the Farr used to sail IIRC with his family cruising etc.

But all good boats for around here. I would also take a fractional J29 over the MH 29 or 30 personally. Probably a bit easier to SH/DH. Likewise if setup right, the L28 might be too. The Attalia I mentioned, altho an MH rig, about 32' OA, 30'ish on deck should be easy to SH< or set up to do so also. The Cal9.2/Rush, with the pinched stern to me would be a tough SH rig. Must less with a crew.

marty
Old 05-13-2011

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road
A little amplification regarding the J/29 vs J/30: Although they were laid up in the same mold the J/29 has about one foot less freeboard than the J/30. The J/30 was wildly successful; as I recall Tillotson-Pearson built about 700 in the three year production run. When the Olson 30 destroyed the market for the J/30,the mold was trimmed to make the J/29. The J/29 is a availble in two configurations: masthead rig with a diesel and fractional with outboard power. Needless to say, shaving a foot of freeboard severely reduces the accomodation found on the J/30.

The J/30 is easy to single hand with a fractional rig and a bendy mast. Commonly it is cruised with a #2 or #2 on roller furling although that might be underpowered in light air.

Last edited by Hudsonian; 05-13-2011 at 07:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Express 27
J29
J30
C&C 1/2 Tonner
J92
Olson 30
Frers 30
Aloha 30
Kirby 30
S-2 9.1
Cal 9.2
Erickson 911SE
Hobie 33
Gorman Express 30

That's quite a growing and diverse list. The difference between a Hobie 33 or Olson 30 and Olson 911 is huge, as is the difference between the J-29 and J-30. You kind of have two lists here. Honestly, I'd start to eliminate the less cruise friendly boats unless you plan on doing some racing as well. The S2 9.1 and Olson 911 both perform well, will cruise nicely,
but cost more up front.. much more. The J-30 is slower, and finding one that's in good shape will take some patience, but might be a good choice if you like boat work. The Hobie, Olson, and Express 27 are ULDB boats, and are very different creatures than the rest of your list. There are a lot of J-29's on Puget Sound doing a whole lot of nothing, and a good one should go for 17-19k and perform better than the old C&C half tonner. For myself, in the ULDB's, I like the Express and the Olson. I'd rather own the Express as it'll be cheaper to run with smaller sails, and I"m . Of the more cruisey boats you've mentioned, I like the 911 and would look for a Pacific Boatworks version (the 's' rather than the 'se' ). In the end though, it might be more a matter of finding a good deal on a good example of one of the boats you like. Just don't be surprised when you realize the Olson 30 can be quite a handful!

Correct on the J-29/J-30. Same hull, less freeboard. The J-29 is faster. In the PNW, the masthead version would be prefered. There's a immaculate J-30 at Shilshole that'd be on my list even though I'm not really a J-30 fan. Looks like it came out of the showroom last week. J also made a J-28c, which is a nice little boat, but like the J-35c, is very expensive.
Old 05-16-2011

nemier is on a distinguished road
Puddinglegs,
Thanks for your input. I agree the list has grown and become a little diverse. It's a mixture of what I want and what is currently available locally. Your post has given me some more info though, so thanks for that.
Old 05-29-2013

pplotz is on a distinguished road
Re: 34' Wylie for fun

Does anyone know if the hull is cored or not? If it is cored, would it be safe to guess that it is balsa?