Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2010
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
Roger, +1 on that post. Was hoping to hear from an owner. I had heard about the decks leaking but not about the chainplates. It is definately something to keep in mind. Yes, when I am ready I will do it right as this purchase, a few years down the road, will be like buying a home but more. Thanks again and if you have any other info you would like to share about your boat or Cheoy's in general, please feel free to PM it to me. Would like to see pics of Lydia Green if you have any.

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2011
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road
Man, I've got the bug for a Cheoy Lee myself. This one came up a few weeks ago, but has sold. Picasa Web Albums - JC - sv Softair

YouTube - Captain JC sailing Softair

If I like this boat, what else might appeal to me if I'm looking to move up from my "coastal cruiser" Hunter 36? We'd be sailing from Texas to the BVI's, and on from there.
Old 01-17-2011

Plumbean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Man, I've got the bug for a Cheoy Lee myself. This one came up a few weeks ago, but has sold. Picasa Web Albums - JC - sv Softair

YouTube - Captain JC sailing Softair

If I like this boat, what else might appeal to me if I'm looking to move up from my "coastal cruiser" Hunter 36? We'd be sailing from Texas to the BVI's, and on from there.
That looks to be a Cheoy Lee Offshore 41, designed by Ray Richards. My father owned one for 25 years. When she was finally sold, she needed some serious deck work due to the above mentioned issues with the teak decks being screwed into the fiberglass -- probably needed an entire re-core job. That being said, we sailed her through some rough stuff (gales in the North Atlantic, 25 footers in the gulf stream on the way to Bermuda) and she handled it well. Also handled a family of 6 for summer cruising quite comfortably. Not the fastest boat around, but I don't think anyone buys one of these to go racing ...
Old 01-17-2011
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road
Yes, it was an Offshore 41. The decks checked out good on a recent survey. It had new masts, sails, and engine replaced in 2008. But it's been sold, so off the market now.
Old 10-09-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Anchored in Branford on Thursday, I saw Lydia Green (posted above) power in and anchor too. A lovely vessel.

Last edited by WanderingStar; 10-09-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-09-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogern View Post
We bought a '74 Cheoy Lee Clipper 42 in 2006
1974 CL Clipper 42 Schooner "Lydia Green"
As far as it's possible to say, you have probably the single most beautiful "small" boat ever built IMHO. Sailing into a harbour or anchorage in that boat must be like pulling up to a nightclub in a Lambo - every head turns. Luders was a master and along with Rhodes and Stevens drew the prettiest boats ever.

Do you know how many 42's were rigged as Schooners?
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-09-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb32863 View Post
I had heard about the decks leaking but not about the chainplates. It is definately something to keep in mind.
Chainplates are really not that big a deal. Any boat remotely near the age you are considering must have them checked. I redid all mine, including a reasonably complex stemhead fitting for a few $hundred. I saved a bit by polishing them myself but even paying for that would still have been no more than $1K.

Mine were very accessible and I understand some aren't but it is still routine work on an old boat. One upside if they aren't accessible is that you can make them accessible when you re-do them.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.