Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2010

racepace is on a distinguished road
Information on the Wilderness 30'? By Wilderness Boat Works

Hello

I'm a college student looking to get a boat for a college student kind of price. There is someone in my area who wants to sell a Wilderness 30. I have looked on line for more information about this boat but i can't find much. I know it was partly designed by Chuck Burns (talked to him on the phone), but I'm still lost on its value, its usability as cruiser and racer? Or any structural flaws it may have?

If anyone owns one of these our has sailed one please let me know. I'd be very appreciative for any information and opinions. The ad I read said make offers. I might have to get an appraiser?

hope to hear from you
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Given your "college student kind of price" budget, I would highly recommend you buy a smaller boat. A smaller boat will be easier to maintain and far less expensive to own.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-26-2010

Hi Sailingdog

Thanks for your recommendation, I was thinking of making it work by living aboard. That way i can afford mooring and work on it if it needs work.

So any information on this brand of boat? Is it comparable to a j30? In size at least? i could live on a j30....
Old 10-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Specifications for it are located here

The j30 is a lot bigger, since it has a beam of 11' versus the 8.8 of the Wilderness 30.

Before doing anything else, I would highly recommend you read the Boat Inspection Trip Tips thread I started, as it will help you determine whether this boat is even worth going any further with.

You don't want to buy a cheap boat...you don't want to focus on PRICE, but on VALUE. You want a good boat at a good price.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-26-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The Wilderness 30 was not really conceived as any kind of liveaboard and is pretty spartan.... and narrow, as SD pointed out. A J30 would be luxurious in comparison.

It was considered a pretty lightweight boat when it was introduced, and is a quick, responsive boat that will reward good handling. But roomy and comfy maybe not.....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-26-2010

COOL is on a distinguished road
The Wilderness 30 would be a cool boat to own and sail.
I think only a handful were ever built, and a few of them
are still lurking in Santa Cruz, and the SF Bay area.
They occasionally appear for sale in Latitude 38,
for $15-20K.
Since they are a ULDB, concieved to be similar to
an Olson 30, they will be light on accomodation,
but a great performer. It would be more of a camp
aboard boat than a live aboard, with about the room
of a typical 25'er.
If you search around at Sailing Anarchy, you sould
be able to find an informative thread or two about these
boats. If a budget live aboard is a primary motivation,
then I also concur that it would be worth considering
a slightly smaller boat, but with perhaps a little more
accomodation.
Old 10-27-2010

Hi everyone

Thanks for the great tips and info.

I like the sounds of a good handling quick boat, especially a rare one!! I'd love to get into some more racing. So maybe it won't a long term liveaboard, but a short term camp aboard...

Maybe its just a pipe-dream to have a boat right now, but the current owner really wants to get it to someone who would value it for what it is and is willing to make a long term paying contract or some other arrangement, they're not interested in the money but more that it gets put to good use (the vibe I get). I believe its just been sitting. There are a lot of boats just sitting in Seattle, rather sad to see.

I'm going to go look at it none the less, and will do some research on boat inspections and take some photos so that there is a least some photo documentation of this boat on the web (I cannot find a single picture of one).

I'll be posting up my results. From the picture on the ad I think she has some beautiful lines and looks racy. It also sounds like a fun racer, phrf is around 100-120 (multiple sources), so not bad.
Old 10-27-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
At the end of this video is a W30 finishing mostly under control in tough conditions.. (blue kite) at the 1:50 mark....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
SeannJen (06-03-2014)
Old 10-27-2010

Hey COol Video

Those are the same kind of conditions we just had last sunday at the shilshole Grand Prix, The boat i was on measured a max velocity of 42mph, we reefed one on the main and rounded up twice, big choppy swell (for the the sound)
and at least a consistant 22mph throughout the day, about two hours around 30mph. Lots of fun.