Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2003

me262 is on a distinguished road
Hunter 36

I have found an early model Hunter 36. Anyone with opinions on this boat???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2003

jjjjjjjjjj is on a distinguished road
Hunter 36

Try going to Hunterowners.com and get some opinions of actual Hunter owners. The folks on this message board seem slanted against the large production boats. As with any boat purchase, a survey is a must. Plus how well maintained the boat has been. I have seen some neglected H-R''s that I would be afraid to go out on sitting next to some well maintained Benehuntalinas. The majority on this message board would take the Hallberg-Rassey and end up swimming to shore...
JJ

Old 05-07-2003
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point
Hunter 36

j x 10

Your suggestion of a comprehensive survey is sound. Do you really think there is a bias on this BB against Benehuntalinas? I''ve noticed that many of the respondents asking about these vessels want to take them around the world or to far away places off shore, obviously this is probably not a good idea however there are those that have and lived to tell about it. Do you really think that a group of Hunter owners wouldn''t be biased? I think the feedback may be more useful from those that have sailed on Hunters and have friends that own them rather than from those that ARE owners. Ascertaining accurate and unbiased information from Hunter owners may prove to be more difficult than finding weapons of mast destruction in Iraq!
Old 05-07-2003

Bluesmoods is on a distinguished road
Hunter 36

I don''t have a Beneteau, Hunter or Catalina. Many who do and live aboard their boats cruising around the world certainly do not participate here.

What I can say is that More Beneteau sailing yachts have crossed more oceans than any other production boat built.
Ocean going Catalina and Hunter boats have also had there share of ocean adventures.

Everybody is an expert, or so it seems.. Larger sailboats built for extended living and cruising can indeed just about go anywhere,(not anytime).

We must remember, boats don''t hurt themselves, people do. There is not a boat built that can replace know-how, vast experience, continued education and training. That combination plus a sound reliable well equipped boat is the combination for safe voyage.

Old 05-07-2003
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Hunter 36

I hope my following opinion will be relevant and useful, but adequately diplomatic.

I haven''t perceieved any bias against boats from the large volume manufacturers here. Their ubiquitousness means most folks with some miles passed under their keels have at least a general appreciation of the essential character of the brands, while recognizing every builder has some gems and some dogs within their space, as does a builder like Mercedes-Benz. So you get plenty of opinions on them!

I think the real excitment tends to surround Hunter in particular. Perhaps marketers would characterize Hunter as a price boat builder, making a boat with the most "features" for the least cost, targeted at newer buyers. The rub is that when tries to mix "least cost" into a boat, you get a volitile mix - errors can mean more than that the car doesn''t start. Do it just right, it can work ok, err just a little and one can be over their head. Beneteau and Catalina are not in this same space.

Enuff (or too much) said.

Good luck.

PS - check out the following to understand what getting it wrong might look like:
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/boatreviews/hunter28.htm

Old 05-08-2003

me262 is on a distinguished road
Hunter 36

Well...this Hunter 36 was a dog anyway. Too many ''soft spots'' especially on the starboard side. Thanks anyway guys!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.