Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2008

southernsmoke is on a distinguished road
Alright, sorry:

The boat will be kept in eastern NC, and sailed in the mid atlantic. I'm definitely not going any further than the bahamas with it. I live about 30 minutes from the coast and have several options of places to store it.

Got a recommendation of better value for the money? I'd love to hear it. I intend to get something better in the future, but I'm new to sailing things this large and I'm on a budget.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You could look at this search on Boats.com. There are quite a few good candidates there.

The Pearson Triton, while only 28' is an excellent boat. There are also several Ericsons, larger Pearsons, Catalina 30s, etc. Most of these boats are basically coastal cruisers, and as such would require some care in planning if you plan to hop along the Caribbean to the Bahamas. There is a Westerly Longbow 31' sailboat listed, which, if in good condition, might be a good choice. The Westerly brand of boats are generally well regarded and fairly seaworthy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-11-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
Alright, sorry:

The boat will be kept in eastern NC, and sailed in the mid atlantic. I'm definitely not going any further than the bahamas with it. I live about 30 minutes from the coast and have several options of places to store it.

Got a recommendation of better value for the money? I'd love to hear it. I intend to get something better in the future, but I'm new to sailing things this large and I'm on a budget.
For $11k asking, you can get into a Pearson, Cal and Catalina 30s, maybe even a Tartan, all are much better made and designed boats.

Last edited by sailingfool; 03-11-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-11-2008

southernsmoke is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the responses, here is the actual link :

EDIT: damn. it wont let me post the link until i have 10 posts. The actual boat is listed on the boats.com website, the listing id is 1710261
Old 03-11-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
My first boat was a grampian 26, 1969. I got it for 1300 buck in November of 2003. I gave it away to our local youth sailing association in March of 2004 because that was faster than cutting it up and hauling it away and I wanted the slip for my Hunter. They sold it for 500 bucks a year later and now it's sitting in dry storage at the local marina where it was claimed for overdue fees.
When I got it the survey had been done by a pretty reputable company basically it passed with minor issues, but then I've never seen a survey that said 'why this boat is afloat is a wish and a guess'.

I think that's a pretty clear assessment of it's quality.
Old 03-20-2008

Herreshoff01 is on a distinguished road
Some of the Grampians i believe were designed by Peter Van Dine of the Tancook Whaler fame. I always thought his designs were quite good (sail well) - but cant speak to the build quality of the manuf.
Old 09-25-2009
Scallywag

SaintM is on a distinguished road
Just since this thread pops up whenever someone searches for a Grampian 30 online, I figure it is worth keeping it updated.

I sail an old G30 out of Annapolis, and have come to love it. As for my comparison with others I have known, I can say this:

1. It is a great boat for people who plan on spending a lot of time belowdecks, it has a lot of room and feels like a larger boat, and a lot of headroom as often noted. I use it often as a "get-away" cabin of sorts on the Bay, and for the size and cost, I have not found better. If you want a small, semi-live-aboard, it is a good choice.

2. It is solid as hell, build sturdy and simple. The simplicity makes for a good custom boat for many DIYers who want to update above and below decks as they best see fit.

3. As for sailing: It is a fair handler, I think many have said that it is a great big wind boat, but in light winds it is a bit of a pig. I wouldn't disagree. After a few years, I have managed to understand most of it's unique sailing characteristics, and it does me very well.
Globalksp likes this.
Old 09-25-2009
Scallywag

SaintM is on a distinguished road
Also... Cruising world has recently published a short review.
Old 10-15-2009

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
'72 G 30'

am looking at a '72 G 30 as we speak... taken over by the marina due to failure to pay slip rental, so they dont have much in it...... needs new rigging, on a 30' probably 500-750?. atomic needs work or replaced. turns over, but gas is stale, and carbs probably need a kit. needs upgrade to electric panel. etc etc... sails need reconditioned.... h20 tank in question... lol. head works. glass looks good. not leaky in the slightest even with a bum hatch closure. did notice one soft spot where they life line stay meets starboard side, not too bad. no stove, yet oddly fixed with A/C they are asking 5, i thought i'd bid 'em 3 as a fixer upper, or pay the ask if they will put it on the hard and do a bottom job. any thoughts? looks like it just needs some tlc, but already has a good feel.