Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2003

troyaux is on a distinguished road
Grampian 30 a good boat?

I am set up to look at a Grampian 30 but know little about the company or quality or the boat itself. I am looking for a sturdier boat to replace my macgregor 25 so i can feel comfortable along the Florida coast with regular trips to the bahamas. I the boat has no outboard but I would put in a siolid honda 4cyl to power me when I need to. I am guesssing the boat has a well but I am not sure. Any on who knows anything about what to watch for or has owned on please reply amd fill me in so I know what to look for. I don''t even know the keel configuration and hope it lifts as I sail shallow waters.

Any info or experience with a 1979 or similar Grampian 30 would be much appreciated. the Boat comes with extra sails and heavy rigging. Anyone.........PLEAASE help me understand the quality of the boat i am looking at and does it compare to say a a Hunter? Fill me in Thanks Troy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-09-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Grampian 30 a good boat?

Grampian was a very early fiberglass boat builder. I actually owned one of their boats from the mid 1960''s. In the mid 1960''s they were considered to be a reasonably high quality company. In the late 1960''s Grampian retooled its line coming out with boats that were highly budget oriented and not very well built. Compared to their earlier boats this new line had little to recommend it except inexpensive pricing and a lot of room for a 30 footer. The Grampian 30 that I knew best was really pretty shodily constructed and was a mediocre sailor at best. Grampian was one of the last companies to use extensively plastic laminate (formica) over plywood. While plastic laminate is easy to wipe down it allows the substrate to rot out undetected.

Comparing the build quality of the Grampian 30 to the Hunter 30 of that era, the Hunter was much better constructed and finished and was a faster and more easily handled boat.

The real issue with the poorer constucted boats of that day is how well they were treated over the 25 years of their existance. Did the owner replace the problem systems and upgrade hardware? Have rotted bulkheads and lightweight chainplates been replaced? have modern electronics been installed? Have they purchased new sails and replaced rigging? And so on.

These boats originally had an Atomic 4 inboard. I don''t think that there was an outboard option. I cannot imagine installing an outboard on a Grampian 30. It would be a very big job to do correctly.

So while the Grampain 30 would be a big jump up in quality from your Magregor 25 these are still not very high quality boats and given the age of the boat, I would be very careful about buying one. Even if you bought one as a fixer upper, these boats have such low resale values even in pristine shape that unlike a higher quality boat that was down on its luck, these would be a hard boat to recover a reasonable portion of your investment at resale, especially if equipped with an outboard.

One last minor point. I believe that the Grampian 30 went out of production before 1979 but I could be wrong on that.

Respectfully,
Jeff
Old 07-24-2007

Zogumwesterly is on a distinguished road
My G-30 is built like a tank and has no formica in it.
Old 07-25-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Hunters do not come anywhere near the quality of Grampian.
Old 07-25-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
I never sailed a Grampian 30, but I looked at a few with the serious intention of buying one. My initial impression was that it was quite large down below, lots of standing room, but when I sat in the salon of the last one I looked at, I couldn't lean back to 90 deg. The back of my head was hitting the corner where the cabin steps down to the deck. I would have had to sit hunched over any time I was below decks. I'm 5' 6" tall (There's an oxymoron!). I'm not used to bumping my head and I figure I'm too old to get used to it now.

So when you look at that boat, take a seat down below.

All in all, I liked the lines and the layout of the 28 better. Just my personal opinion.

Some reference material here: http://sailquest.com/market/models/models3.htm

Last edited by CapnHand; 07-25-2007 at 01:26 AM.
Old 07-25-2007

Gramp34 is on a distinguished road
Grampian closed in July 1977. It is possible that some of their unfinished inventory would have been sold to individuals who finished the boats and registered them afterwards as a 79 model. The last four digits of the hull identification number (on the transom) will give the month and year of build so you can check if 1979 is right or not.

There are some resources where you can learn more about the G30:

Grampian website: http://www.grampianowners.com/
Yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grampiansailboats/ You need to sign up to become a member to access the contents.
Previous discussion of the G28: Grampian G28

As for suitability for Bahamas trips, here's a quote from a message on the Yahoo mailing list:
Re: Mounting an outboard motor on a G30?

I called the previous owner and he said the out board motor for this
boat is a Johnson 25 HP.

As an aside, when he bought the boat, he found the original owner's
log on board. The boat made 4 trips across the pond and back!
If it surveys well, I personally wouldn't have any concern coastal cruising in a G30.

Good luck,

Tim
Old 07-25-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
I hate to break it to you guys, but the original poster has been MIA since '03. Probably bought the boat not listening to Jeff's opinion and sunk on his way to the islands.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 07-25-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
LOL... dead thread revival...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-11-2008

southernsmoke is on a distinguished road
Sorry to bump this old thread!

I found this thread while googling for some information and would like to see if anyone else can give me their informed opinion.

I'm hopefully going to become a first time sailboat owner within the next few months, and I have been looking around for something suitable. I have found a 1974 grampian 30 and the asking price is $11,500. I intend to offer about $7k and might pay a bit more.

Can anyone give me their opinion of these boats? Is it possible to live aboard? (1 person) Are they fast, strong, or not worth the money? Is there another boat in the same price range you would recommend instead?

Thanks for any information

Any information would be appreciated.

Last edited by southernsmoke; 03-11-2008 at 03:44 PM. Reason: .
Old 03-11-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Hmm... From what I understand, they're fairly roomy, but don't have the best sailing characteristics. Might be workable as a liveaboard... but it would help if you gave more information regarding where you're planning on keeping the boat, sailing the boat, etc.

Personally, I think you can do better for the money.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.