Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Caliber 40 LRC and Sabre 402

As I stated a few years ago you cant go wrong with either boat. Cailbers are fine boats made for ocean passages and have certain advantages such as tankage, the water tight compartments a great build quality.

I ejnjoy Tims posts and he is very knowledgeable and would be a great resource for the Calibers. His boat looks like a beauty

I would have to disagree with Tim in that a Sabre 402 like other Sabres is a real performance sailor and will do substantially better in not only light air but also pointing ability. The PHRF ratings are not close ( 138 compared to 84) as just one of the measures. The Sabres have jib tracks against the coachroofs and also on their rails and point substantially higher. Their wing keel or fin keel and large rudder screams performance. Cailbers has the advantage of the greater varied sail plan for deep weather with the rig and two headsails. I have found the Sabres wide uncluttered gunwhales eaiser to walk forward on. Caliber has a great anchor locker. Caliber 21,000 lbs vrs Sabre 19,500 lbs. Sabre a little beamier by 6 inches. Sail area of the Caliber ( 100%)= 729 Sail area of the Sabre (100%) = 810, 12% more.

Sabre 402 was sailing Cruiser of the year 1997.

In terms of the liveaboard space it all depends what you seek. Both are great setups.

I personally do not like Pullman berths and crawling over by wife. I also have yet to find any Pullman berth you can stretch out in like you can in a V berth. To me the need for the second head doesnt exhist and I would rather have the added space in my living area like the salon. Sabres interiors are richly wood designs with warm teak or cherry.Both have great ventilation. The Sabre has a table in the middle of the sette accessable on both ends. The Cailiber has a fold down table so the cabin appears more open, but you can get trapped behind the table if working there or eating when down.
Caliber has side facing Nav station, while Sabres is foreward facing. Sabre galley is great for passage making as you are enclosed for saftey. Caliber isnt bad either. Sabre reefer opens from the fromt or top while Caliber is a top loader only.

Cockpits are both very comfortable and safe. Both well thought out.

We have an example of both of these in our club and I have a friend who has a 402 WK which I have raced on and she is quite the powerhouse in the races. Skeg protected rudder can be an advantage.

This would be a tough choice as they are both great boats. For me I pick performance, however the Caliber is not a slug or poor performer, its tha the Sabre is just above most others in this size boat. I keep looking at both these boats also as my last boat. You cant go wrong either way

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2013

Irunbird is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Tim- I was just about to ask about all that!

Ray
Old 03-14-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Good info Chef. I would agree that around the cans the Sabre would significantly pull away upwind on a Caliber. Although the chainplate spacing may not be that much different. The caliber has a narrower beam by about 8" with the chainplates midway between the cabin and toe rail. I think the keel configuration is a bigger factor in their pointing abilities.

It would be interesting to see how these would perform head to head in a significant seaway.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 03-15-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Keel and the deep rudder differences, plus the sail area is 12% more. The Sabres I have found are really racer cruisers.

I was fortunate enough to be on a Sabre 425 on 1500 about 8 years ago. They are thoroughbred performance cruisers. The speed of the Caliber might more likely compare with a Tartan 41 or 4100 another nice well made American boat.

The Sabres really are in a class of thier own with the living accomadations as well as performance characteristics. The J120 is quicker, but more spartan for long term live aboard cruising.

Another boat the OP should lok at is the Perry designed Saga. The 40 is nice, but the 43 is a sailing machine.

2006 Saga 40 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-15-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdawg View Post
I would greatly appreciate some more thoughts on the comments about the seaworthiness of the Sabre as far as ocean passages go. I started looking at Island Packet 35's (the same sort of high displacement design thinking as the caliber), but then found a Sabre 42 for about the same price that is very well equipped. By going up in size I was able to get more of the storage and tankage that came in the smaller IP, but also feel that I am getting a boat that sails much better. I just helped take an IP42 from West Florida to the Bahamas last week and there was definitely a clear shortage of any light wind performance and the iron genoa was cranked up much more than I would be happy with.
kd3pc- you commented that the Sabre would need much more upgrading to be capable of ocean passages, versus what the Caliber comes with. Do you think you could expand on this a bit?
Sailingdog- you stated that the Sabre isn't designed as a blue-water cruiser, do you think you could add a few more comments?
While I know that the Sabre isn't built with the same full keel, heavy displacement philosophy, I am still under the impression that it will make a good boat to not only enjoy cruising the caribbean with, but to also head to the Pacific in. Am I wrong in this assessment?
Thank you for your thoughts...
Drew
Our slipmate has a Sabre 425 and in my mind its built to a standard (similar to the Tartan 40 I crewed on for 3 years) that I would feel comfortable sailing offshore. He has raced it to Bermuda with no problems. I'm not sure about tankage, but I'd choose a Sabre over a Caliber (and I'm a Caliber fan)and figure out how to deal with the tankage issue. Well built and fast would be the combination I'd look for for offshore. People have circumnaved 40+ foot Hunter's and Catalina's, so there is no way you can say either of these boats are not up to the task. The Caliber's aren't slow, but a Sabre would do a horizon job on the Caliber pretty quickly and many times the boat that gets to port earlier misses having its build strength/crew endurance tested.