Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Caliber 40 LRC and Sabre 402

I believe that both vessels are a capable ocean voyager. I would greatly appreciate if you can comments on their ability in turns of

1. Ability to sail close hull
2. Light wind
3. Sea motion comfort
4. Reported problem due to manufacture and design faults.

Every made and design have compromises on the paper. However, if they hold up in the real world, I will not worry about it. TIA.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-03-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The Sabre 402 isn't designed as a bluewater cruiser, while the Caliber 40 LRC definitely was purposely designed as such. The Sabre can probably point higher and does better in light winds. The Caliber is probably more seakindly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-03-2010

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
sabre can be made in to a decent voyager...and it sails very well, even in light winds..and can point higher than the LRC..

Sabre will be short on all tankage and storage for most long voyages. It has a less comfortable motion in large seas than the caliber, not sure if it is the keel or the weight, but I found that the Sabre bobs a bit in heavy seas...the LRC just shoulders through on a straight line

The Sabre to me is much more comfortable at the dock and most are "light and airy" compared to the LRC...but the LRC has the Sabre beat on seaworthiness in general

Both are well made boats, just different purposes. Neither have a host of inherent problems, quite the opposite...but I would speak with and hire the surveyor who knows voyaging boats, were I in your position - wanting to cross oceans...

I have owned the Sabre and only crewed on the LRC...so I may be a tad partial to the Sabre...but you will need to do quite a bit of upgrading to the Sabre to get what the LRC comes with..
Old 11-03-2010

sck5 is on a distinguished road
Sabres are beautiful boats. I looked at several when I was boat shopping but because I wanted to do ocean passages I got a Caliber.
Old 11-07-2010
Alan Grand Slam Yacht

AlanGSYS is on a distinguished road
All good posts with valid comments. But think about the day you want to sell the boat. I think the Sabre will sell more quickly than the Caliber when you are ready to move on.
Old 11-07-2010

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I think the Sabre will sell more quickly ... when you are ready to move on.
I hope so!

A check of Sabre 38 prices shows that selling prices are at or above what I paid. Sabre hold their value very, very well. When we sold our 28, we "lost" $10k over 15 years.
Old 11-07-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
2 different boats for two different purposes. Both excellant builds and reputations. You wont have any trouble selling either. Notice there are very few Calibers for sale ever. Both 40s are on our short list. Sabre better light air performance and quicker overall. Cant go wrong with a well maintained Sabre or Caliber

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-08-2010

lawdawg is on a distinguished road
I would greatly appreciate some more thoughts on the comments about the seaworthiness of the Sabre as far as ocean passages go. I started looking at Island Packet 35's (the same sort of high displacement design thinking as the caliber), but then found a Sabre 42 for about the same price that is very well equipped. By going up in size I was able to get more of the storage and tankage that came in the smaller IP, but also feel that I am getting a boat that sails much better. I just helped take an IP42 from West Florida to the Bahamas last week and there was definitely a clear shortage of any light wind performance and the iron genoa was cranked up much more than I would be happy with.
kd3pc- you commented that the Sabre would need much more upgrading to be capable of ocean passages, versus what the Caliber comes with. Do you think you could expand on this a bit?
Sailingdog- you stated that the Sabre isn't designed as a blue-water cruiser, do you think you could add a few more comments?
While I know that the Sabre isn't built with the same full keel, heavy displacement philosophy, I am still under the impression that it will make a good boat to not only enjoy cruising the caribbean with, but to also head to the Pacific in. Am I wrong in this assessment?
Thank you for your thoughts...
Drew
Old 03-14-2013

sailor7885 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to sailor7885 Send a message via Skype™ to sailor7885
Re: Caliber 40 LRC and Sabre 402

lawdawg:

Did you ever get a reply on the blue water capabilities of the Sabre 402? I am looking to buy one and would appreciate sharing thoughts on that.

Feel free to call 847-942-9400
Old 03-14-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Re: Caliber 40 LRC and Sabre 402

I know this is an older thread but I am responding to help with future searches. I can tell you that the light wind performance of the Caliber 40LRC is comparable to a mid 80s Ericson 34 or 35. The pointing ability is nearly comparable to a Sabre 402 with a wing keel although the sabre will be a little faster at the same angle.

The interior comfort we believe is much better in the Caliber because of the Pullman berth. The Sabre has a conventional layout where you have to climb out of bed across your pillow assuming your pillow has not already hit the sole. Although it can be argued that having to crawl over a body in the Pullman berth is also bad. We have no problem with it after nearly 3 years living aboard.

For off shore work, the Caliber will have better motion comfort as it has a better entry while the Sabre has a wide rear end that can cause some issues off the wind. The Caliber was designed for off shore work. The Sabre not so much. The Caliber has a skeg hung rudder, reinforced bow section and leading edge of the keel. The Caliber also has collision bulkheads that make it a safer passage-maker. The bow under the anchor locker is the holding tank which can sustain a hole without flooding the boat. All water and fuel tankage is built into the hull and is redundant. You can hole any of the areas below the tops of the tanks and not flood the boat and also not affect the sailability or performance of the boat. The fuel capacity is 210 gallons. That is a 1,400nm range. Water capacity is 175 and because of the built in tanks there is lots of room for a watermaker.

A perceived vulnerability of the Caliber is the encapsulated keel. Fears of damaging the outer skin and water intrusion have been addressed by doubling the thickness of the outer skin and also creating a collision zone in the forward area of the keel that does not easily perforate the area where the ballast is located. IOW, the ballast does not start until about a foot back from the leading edge of the keel.

There is also a rudder dam that rises above the WL that prevents flooding should your rudder packing gland fail.

A safety feature that we and our dog love is the conventional step/rise 90° companionway steps. You enter the cabin facing forward.

One last point in favor of the Caliber being a better off-shore boat would be the cutter rig. We love being able to reef the genny and put out the stay-sail from the cockpit. All lines are led to the cockpit standard from the factory. Redundant heads is also nice if you should have a potty failure. Ours has an electric Jabsco head that has performed perfectly for nearly 3 years. Our second head is a low maintenance, low failure Lavac.

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Tim R.; 03-14-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.