Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2010

cabocygnus is on a distinguished road
Allmand 31' Would like comparison reports

I have been led to look into an Allmand 31' boat. The main person is a rather avid Allmand owner. What experience do other owners have, what should be looked at closely for possible troubles down the road, or across the gulf stream as the case is to be? What I have heard is basically good, biased, but good. I have been directed to check closely at the mast step for possible water intrusion into the plywood coring.
I want to be able to have a dodger and bimini on the boat because I plan to be cruising,living aboard for about 5 or 6 months out of the year. I also would like to have dinghy davits on the boat, as I hate to drag my dinghy any distances, really causes a drag.
Any information I would like.
My last boat was a Cabo Rico 38, a rather slug in light air, but there never seemed to be enough wind to cause adverse heeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
My experience with the Almand 31's was that they were of pretty mediocre build quality, and did not sail worth a darn in light to moderate conditions. Years ago, I periodically sailed on one that was in the marina with my boat. I also thought they had a surprisingly very uncomfortable motion, both rolly and a little jerky, an unusual combination for a heavier boat.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 11-08-2010

kb3pwc is on a distinguished road
Gee, we went the other way...

Funny, we had the Allmand 31 (tall rig) and now sail the Cabo Rico 34. We found the Allmand 31 very good for gunkholing...shallow draft, excellent ventilation with all opening ports, roomy cockpit, comfortable bunks, she is a wide boat...doesn't point worth a darn and will not win a race but she was not built for that. We found that we needed to keep water in the holding tank to keep appropriate trim. The holding tan (under port settee) is HUGE and we had, I guess too much weight on the starboard side with propane tanks and oven, and who knows what else.

We did some work to get her to something we found presentable. We had her professionally painted topsides, non-skid, new canvas and sails and furler but the biggest job was to redo the overhead. These vessels have lousy glued fabric for the overhead...it fails, it looks dirty and removal is a nasty job. We replaced it with a vinyl with mahogany trim, coach roof insides at the ports were lined with cream painted wood. She became as good looking as one of these boats could become. We had someone who just had to buy her and we dreamed up a price we would never pay and they bought her.

She did suit our needs for Chesapeake Bay sailing. Build quality is mediocre at best but provides a roomy platform that moves on the water and will take you where you probably wish to travel. Our vessel had a newer Yanmar that was reliable.

Our Cabo Rico is a much steadier vessel in a seaway. I would not look forward to heading to Bermuda in the Allmand but would not think twice about the CR 34. When you spend lots of time aboard, space is important. Both vessels have aft cabins. The CR has 165 gal of water and 42 gals of fuel. The Allmand 31 had about 45 gal water and 40 gal fuel. Both vessels had 3gm30f Yanmars.

Sorry to run on so. Hope this helps.

Happy hunting.

Leslie

sv "Tango, CR 34
lying Oxford, MD

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.