Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2010
Beneteau 411

prroots is on a distinguished road
Scaling down: need advice

As background, we cruised full-time on a Tayana 42 for 1 year and then scaled down and cruised 7+ additional years on a Wauquiez Hood 38 (CB/keel). The Hood 38 was our dream boat. Now we plan to scale down again to a 28-32 foot boat and cruise on a part-time basis in the Virgin Islands. We wish to preserve as many characteristics as possible of the Hood eg, shoal draft, strong, well built, with excellent performance. We would very much appreciate suggestions. As starters, we have considered the Tartan 31SD and Sabre 32CB.
Pete
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-13-2010

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Sabre
Old 11-13-2010
Beneteau 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
Sabre
Thanks. A man of few words for sure! Could you please mention some of the Sabre attributes as compared to other possible contenders? The Sabre 32CD has a PHRF of 168 compared to 159 for the Tartan 31SD, but on the other hand the draft of the Sabre is an incredible 3.7 ft vs 4.33 for the Tartan. What other boats should I be comparing to the Sabre? Thanks again
Pete
Old 11-13-2010

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
My current boat (Cal 33-2 SD) comes close. A little bigger, a bit more draft (4'8") but faster (PHRF 138).
Old 11-13-2010

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
can't beat a late model Sabre 28 for price, performance and downright great sailing..

I have not been on their 32 in a long time, but having owned a 28 and a 38, I can't imagine it NOT being a great boat too..
Old 11-13-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
How about a CS33 - I believe there were SD versions. Might be hard to find, but that's a rock solid boat with pretty good performance.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-13-2010
Beneteau 411

Thanks for all the feedback; appreciate it. I'd like to keep the draft to 4 feet or less and the PHRF to less than say 170 and do all of that in a proven offshore cruising boat! It seems to me that the Sabre 32CB proves it's feasible. The CS 33SD has a very impressive PHRF of 147, but the draft of 4.6 is a bit more than I'd prefer. The Cal 33-2SD has a very impressive PHRF of 138, but as stated the draft is greater at 4.67. Please keep 'em coming.
Pete
Old 11-13-2010

Besides being dockmates, kd3pc share the same Sabre legacy - a 28 and a 38. Unless you plan to race, IMO the PHRF isn't a big deal. But I understand your desire to get something that isn't a brick either.

Sabre attributes? Excellent, timeless styling, superior construction, no gimmicks, and a commitment to constant improvement. I will not slam Tartan since I've considered hem to be a close second to Sabre. We've cruised and raced our Sabres, been in a gale with the 38 and never questioned the boat's integrity. I would like her to be faster in the lightest Chesapeake winds, but the ability to ghost in 2 knots of wind is not why I bought the boat. That is, if I wanted a racer or light air performer, I'd go in a completely different direction. But she's not a pig by any means.
Old 11-13-2010
Beneteau 411

Thanks Sabreman. I guess you might say we're looking for a shoal draft, offshore performance cruiser. I realize there are a lot of tradeoffs implied in that statement. Unfortunately, the availability of the Sabre 32CB is extremely limited (ie, I see one). I notice that the Sabre 34-2CB also seems to meet my criteria and is still within my price range. The PHRF is an impressive 144 and the minimum draft is 4-0. Any comments on the 32CB vs the 34-2CB?
Pete
Old 11-13-2010

I love the 34. It was the first Sabre that my wife and I saw when we were lucky enough to hook up with a family that wanted to do some club racing. It was new and along with the owner, were the first to sail her. This was in 1983, a couple of years after we were married. They still have Eventide.

It's a great boat and was our dream boat for the longest time. In fact, we were looking for one when we fell into our 38. We tried to buy Eventide from our friends, but they weren't ready to let go of her. I feel that the 32 is sort of in-between and that the 34 is a really nice combination of performance and comfort.

Interesting that you note a PHRF of 144. That's my rating for the 38.