Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2010
1968 Pearson Wanderer 30

ilikerust is on a distinguished road
Aw crap! My sincere condolences.

Please tell us it was insured, or at least that the boat yard is covering it with theirs? Something?

Ick.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Well THAT has to be a spoiler. Hopefully, since it wasn't hit hard enough to collapse the jackstands, it will "just" have deck or cockpit damage, and the yard will be responsible for repairing it?
Old 12-03-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Ouch... that sucks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-03-2010

justified is on a distinguished road
Ouch...my heart sinks for you! what yard are you in on the Ct. hopeful they will cover it for you. She looked like she was a beauty.

Capt. Peter
"Frayed"
Old 12-03-2010

mstern is on a distinguished road
Ohh, that is just terrible. I hope someone's insurance covers this, as it would be very difficult to recover against the yard itself unless they knew the tree was rotten and they put you under it anyway.

Please let us know how you make out.
Old 12-03-2010

Michael K is on a distinguished road
Heart breaking.
Old 12-20-2010

laHolland is on a distinguished road
It's a total loss..

Our insurance company (Progressive) has declared the boat a total loss. The boatyard finally removed the tree and re-blocked the stands after two weeks of sitting there. We couldn't get onto the boat until they removed the tree because it wasn't safe (the boat was slightly knocked off the stands by the force of the tree).

I wanted to cry when I got up onto her and saw all of the damage... The entire cabin top is crushed, the rudder post is cracked, the entire starboard side of the deck/cockpit is sitting 3 inches lower than it should, all of the lifeline stanchions are punched down into the fiberglass from the weight of the tree on the lifelines.

When I first got to the boatyard I realized I forgot the key to the padlock.. but it didn't matter. The tree went directly into the companionway and out the other side, so the companionway hatch boards were gone, along with most of the cabin roof. And since it rained pretty heavily while the tree was still on the boat, the cabin was full of 6 inches of water, including the engine compartment.

FYI, the boatyard is Portland Riverside Marina. Their insurance is not covering anything, although the tree was completely rotten, with mushrooms growing inside it (I took photos). You couldn't tell from the outside that the tree was rotten. Progressive told us (over the phone) that they will be giving us a lump sum that, if they actually deliver on it, will be enough to recover our financial losses (just barely). But I am still very sad about it - I don't have any confidence we will be able to find a comparable boat in our price range, with the features we were looking for. It was a great boat.
Old 12-20-2010

mstern is on a distinguished road
I have heard good things about Progressive, so let's keep our fingers crossed that there are no surprises on your settlement.

As sad as the situation is, you can take comfort in the fact that you can find another boat. It may seem bleak now, but if there is one thing that the internet has shown us, is that there is always another boat out there. Take heart, and keep us all in the loop on your new search.
Old 12-20-2010

laHolland is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the kind words. You're right, we will sail again! Back to the old search engine..

Progressive has been very responsive, much better than I expected from an insurance company that doesn't specialize in marine policies.
Old 12-20-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
laHolland-
Most sailors are at least slightly superstitious. So, try to look on the optimistic side: Someone up there didn't want you sailing on this boat, and had the courtesy to swat the boat while you weren't ON it.
Which is why we have naming ceremonies, and make offerings to Poseidon and Aeolus when christening (really wedding) a boat.
If they give you what you paid for it...You'll also be one of the few boat owners who ever bought and "sold" a boat without losing anything on it.

As Willy Nelson sings, "Back on the road again..."