Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
On the bright side, it's winter, the best time to get a good deal on a boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-20-2010

laHolland is on a distinguished road
Keeping a look out..

I'm keeping a look out for a 30-35 foot shoal draft boat, under $10k. Because of where I keep the boat, it needs to draw under 4'. I liked the Wanderer's centerboard setup. I saw a Pearson 33 that would have worked, but it's since sold.
Old 12-20-2010
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
that sucks. Seems to me that the boatyard should be responsible for something.

C
Old 12-20-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
I cringed when I saw that....Chin up...you will find something just as good.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-20-2010
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road
LaHolland sorry to see that hope you recover well with Porgressive , if it all works out tell them from your exp with them more will be comming to thier door for Ins. ...

Tiss the season to buy a boat now , I have been searching over a year and 1/2 of the boats on my short list were discounted around Thanksgiveing most up to a 1/4 of the asking price !

I feel like it's time to s*** or get off the pot NOW , but my better sence tells me to wait a jussssst a bit more .

IMHO that yard owes you a winter storage and haulout & spring splash !

Last edited by HDChopper; 12-20-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 12-30-2010

laHolland is on a distinguished road
Progressive was good.

To follow up: Progressive insurance was true to their word. We got the check the day before Christmas. It took about three weeks from the day of the accident to receiving the check. I am very satisfied with their service, especially considering we only had the policy for two weeks! Hopefully they will be willing to insure us again, when we find a new boat.
Old 12-30-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I'm glad to hear that you got your payment in a timely fashion.

About 10 years ago our boat chafed it's mooring pendant and was damaged enough that the insurance co. (BOATUS) deemed it a complete total loss (CTL). We ended up buying the boat back from them for $800 and received a check for the difference between the face value of the ins. minus the $800 and did the repairs ourselves.
It was nearly impossible to get insurance the next year. Most marine insurance applications have a question like: "Have you suffered a total loss in the last 3 years?" If you have then they likely will not insure you.
YMMV

Everybody has one:

Old 12-30-2010

Mirari is on a distinguished road
Ms Holland, I’m glad this all worked out for you and you were fully covered. I’ve been silently following this posting as my boat is only a few boats away from the scene of the accident. It appeared to be a great little boat and I can understand your disappointment on losing this fine looking vessel. I noticed you mentioned the marina being Portland Riverside and also noted that their insurance was not covering anything. From the reactions of some of the others posting here your posting appeared to have put the yard in a less than favorable light. Some of the folks seem to think the yard owes you something. I think some clarifications are due here:
1. Part of the storage contract is that the boat owner MUST insure his or her's own vessel. This is pretty standard for winter contracts.
2. It was the yard’s insurance, not the yard that denied coverage. Had you not had insurance I can almost guarantee that that Riverside would make this right for you, not for legal reasons but because that’s the type of people they are (I’ve been a customer since 1985).
3. They normally don’t put boats in the area that yours was in but I understand they filled the yard up early this year and told you that but because you were a previous customer they would make an exception and find you a space.
4. I don’t know for sure but I’ll bet they didn’t charge you a dime for unloading your boat when it came into the yard or for any work they had to do in regards to this accident.
As you can no doubt tell I’m a very satisfied customer of Portland Riverside. Apart from their low storage rates my experience is they bend over backwards to accomadate their customers. They fully support the do it yourselfer and will accommodate you if you want to do something like spray paint your own boat by putting you in an appropriate area. They prices in the marine store beat West marine and Defender almost every time.
When a business wrongs a customer I’ll be the first to point a finger but at the same time when a business goes above and beyond I’ll be the first to praise them.
I hope you find a great new vessel to replace the one you just lost.
Old 12-30-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Yard, yard's insurer...What it comes down to are the laws in CT.

http://www.vineandbranch.net/Premise...ity_4-9-07.pdf seems to say that CT puts the burden on the property owner to check on the health of their trees because healthy ones don't just fall down.

Barts Connecticut Tree Service - Part 2 includes a longer quote from the CT insurance department " The tree owner is legally liable for the damage only if his negligence caused the tree to fall. Otherwise, it is an “Act of God” which would be covered under the neighbor’s Section I Property Coverage of the homeowners policy.If the tree falls on your own house, damage to the house is covered. The insurance policy covers the cost to remove the tree from the house. "

So the only real question would be if there were obvious signs that the tree was unhealthy (split, rotted, dying?) and of course, whether the tree was on the marina's property.

A real gentlemen might step up, if the insured value didn't cover the boat, the sales tax, the transport expenses, and make laHolland entirely whole for that. And, perhaps, throw in something extra to compensate for the time and expense that the new search will entail.

Unless it was ruled an Act of God, in which case you send the bill to...The Pope? The Imam of Jerusalem? (Oh yeah, they're all representatives of The One God, until it comes time to pay the bills.)
Old 12-30-2010

billsull is on a distinguished road
Sorry for your loss. However, now that you are back in the hunt, you may want to consider the early Tartan 34's in addition to the Wanderer. It will be tough to find one near the price you paid for the Wanderer, but they are more plentiful. There's a couple on YW with A4s asking $11 - 12K.
Bristol 24
Old Saybrook, CT