Cheoy Lee Sigma 38 Sparkman/Stephens - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 11-17-2010 Thread Starter

Cheoy Lee Sigma 38 Sparkman/Stephens

Anyone know anything about these? A friend suggested I look into them. Seem to be a decent boat, nice looking, a little on the skinny side (which I like, "built for speed, not comfort! )

What say y'all?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-17-2010
Lake Sailor

SailboatData.com info here.

Not sure if you know so here is a link to help explain some of the numbers, if you like to number crunch. YMMV.

Umquam Porro

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cb32863; 11-17-2010 at 01:58 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-17-2010 Thread Starter

Yep, I saw the numbers and I'm pretty good at interpreting how all this correlates to performance. Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on how well built they are, how well they actually sail, etc.
Thanks.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-11-2011

Hi Sailor Dave...pretty late response, but I bought a Sigma 38, totally rebuilt it for ocean, and sailed it from Ft. Lauderdale to the Caribbean where I sailed a year. I loved it. Worst weather we encountered was 65 knots gusting to 90, hundreds of miles into the Atlantic, and it handled beautifully. I of course had reinforced the chainplates, reinforced the transom, and remounted the backstay from the railings down to a chainplate I made and installed right on the transom, reinforced from the inside with ply and glass. I also battened down the batteries in preparation for a rollover, but it never happened. It has a stainless steel shoe on the rudder for running aground. I also added 6 inches to the bottom of the rudder to give it a little more area. I finally had to sell it but I ran across your post cuz I was daydreaming about it. Don't think you could go wrong. Alan W

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.