Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2003

gknopp is on a distinguished road
Older or newer...what''''s best

You guys may be tired of my quesitons, but Im finding this process more confusing than I expected. Thanks to all who have posted on my other threads.

I''ve found a couple of used Tartan 35s on the web. One is 2001 asking about $170k and one a 1987 asking $98k. The older one is described as "professionally maintained", "ready to cruise", "great condition" and it looks great on the web. If I assume I may have to put $20-25k onto such a boat that''s still a lot less than $170k. I can afford the newer one but I fear more depreciation.

Comments?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2003

GordMay is on a distinguished road

1.I think you''ve got it about right. A little older, a lot more value, less depreciation.
2.That $20-$25K you anticipate will be spent "your" way, and brand new.
Gord
Old 05-14-2003

mattjo is on a distinguished road

Gary,

I would only point out that the model years you are comparing are very different boats. The newer 35''s are basically a different boat. Not really an apples to apples comparison.

Re: depreciation, that''s a good concern to have. In my search for a boat, talking to friends, larger consideration of newer vs. older was commissioning. Most opinions were that 2-3 seasons, depending on use, was needed to fully "vette" the boat out, including initial warranty issues. On later model boats after that initial 2-3 yrs. of use, the difference in prices becomes a result of the intended use and how extensively fitted out the boat is. Upgraded electronics, etc.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 05-14-2003
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Gary K,

If the older boat truly meets its listing description, why assume you would need to put $20-$25 into such a boat - why not assume you can pay the asking price and then enjoy it as is? If you are paying a fair (which should SEEM high) price for a premium condition boat, that''s what you should be getting. If you suspect it is otherwise, you can just as reasonably assume $40-60K as $20-25k...
The bottom line is that with a newer boat you are more likely to get what you think you''re buying (that''s what people pay the $$ for), while with an older boat you are more subject to expensive surprises you and your surveyor(s) aren''t experienced enough to find. In this, I speak with the voice of my own expensive experience ($40-60K versus $20-25K)

Good luck.
Old 05-14-2003

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road

Gary,

Some of it is the same as buying a new vs used car. With a new boat you don''t have to plan on replacing existing sails, systems, etc... With an older boat all systems are there but many require upgrading.

With the older boat you can probably go sailing right away but you will need to plan on replacing something major every year or two. This is not really all that big a deal though and still probably costs much less than buying a new boat. Sails, engines, electronics and hull finish are all getting older and not as good as when new. Also will need to pay attention to keel bolts, standing rigging, osmosis, etc...

That all being said I think the older boats are an outstanding value and most have very long lifespans.

I will always remember the words of a local boat builder who obtained the mold of an Aloha 27. He built his own boat and frequently stated he could have had a nice 40 footer for the same money.

Best of luck,

Mike