Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2010

sanjuan24racer is on a distinguished road
Many people will tell you there is nothin wrong with a Hunter or a Catalina, and they are rite... as long as your not looking for sailing efficiency. These boats are comfortable, but not fast and responsive. But, that's just my opinion and I love to race any boat I'm on regardless. I even crew on a friends New Hunter 40, its a shoal draft version, and the boat rarely does'nt finish last and rounds up in more than 25knots. I would recommend getting an opinion from someone you trust and who is unbiast toward these cookie cutters that so many people will recommend only because they own/have owned/ or want to own one. Hell... I've met Bucaneer owners who on the dock will tell me their boat is fast!

Good luck friend, Steve. Hylas 44
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2010

redunculous is on a distinguished road
Thanks Steve

I looked at the beneteau as well as I had the same concerns - maybe thats the middle ground?

I've researched for well over a year now and still I just don't know what to buy - times ticking and to be honest I just want my feet on one
Old 11-22-2010

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
I have owned my C34 for a little over ten years and have both cruised and raced her pretty extensively so I have a pretty good idea of the product’s capabilities and how she stacks up against the “competition”. I have also raced (2nd place, PacCup, 3rd place Rolex Big Boat Series) other people’s boats so I think I can keep any bias in check.

The 380 was under development at Morgan when Catalina bought them out and Gerry Douglas completed the design with a “Catalina” style interior and some minor tweaks to the rig. I have sailed on that boat a few times and in winds in the mid twenties (TWS) in San Francisco Bay. The boat sailed well and balanced (110 jib). I have not sailed that boat in a heavy sea state, but from what I experienced, she should track well and not be too tiring for the helmsman. The boat does have an ST6000 hydraulic autohelm which is more than capable of handling high sea states in that boat. Rig wise, the 380 has a higher aspect mast than the typlical Catalina and some variants have a baby stay installed. I did not detect any mast pumping on the boat I sailed. I do not track the 380’s pricing so I don’t know if $90k is a good figure or not. Catalinas on the West Coast tend to have a higher resale value for some strange reason. Just be wary of any hurricane boats.

What has impressed me the most about the product line is their relatively high value for the price. They are not constantly redesigning their products and they do use a lot of common parts. They have a high economy of scale. The downside is they do not do custom work, so one Catalina pretty much looks like another (but it does keep the used boat prices high). They do have a fantastic customer support organization (run personally by Frank Butler himself) and the owners are quite loyal and have very active websites. Performance wise, they are not racehorses. My boat rates a 147 here in California, and I need to sail her well in order for her to match her rating. In open YRA, OYRA and SSS competition I am in the front half of the fleets and occasionally finish in the money. A lot of boats mentioned on this BB as being superior, I have prevailed over in racing. The only Hunter I have had the opportunity to race is a Hunter 47 in the Party Circuit. I have never failed to correct out ahead of him and I occasionally beat him boat for boat. Not bad for a “fatty catalina” that’s over ten feet shorter. Sure, I’d love to get my hands on a Sabre 42, but at a half million for a used one, it ain’t happening any time soon.

This photo is from the Double Handed Lightship race a couple of years ago. We finished third.

Last edited by GeorgeB; 11-22-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-22-2010

TheWhiteRabbit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
I would kill for a $90K budget. I'd be buying a whole GRIP of boats.

Old 11-22-2010

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

You do realize, I hope, that a 90K budget will get you into a really nice Ericson 38, with change to spare?
Old 11-22-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by redunculous View Post
For me its pretty much about the interior and the comfort factor.
Comfort where? At the dock, or at sea? They're two very different creatures.
Old 11-23-2010

BGallinger is on a distinguished road
They say that if you can sail the great lakes, you can sail anywhere. I have been sailing Hunters in the great lakes for years. Heavy weather may come quickly and with little warning. Gusts to 55 knots can appear with thunderstorms and my Hunter 340 handles the weather with ease. My priorities are safety, ease of handling and comfort. The Hunter takes full marks for all three.
Old 11-23-2010

seaparrot is on a distinguished road
I am not myself knowledgeable enough to comment, but you might search through Sailingdad's post history here and at Cruiser's Forum. He sails a 40' Catalina and knows a lot about them.
Old 11-23-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaparrot View Post
I am not myself knowledgeable enough to comment, but you might search through Sailingdad's post history here and at Cruiser's Forum. He sails a 40' Catalina and knows a lot about them.
That would be CRUISINGDAD, not SailingDad... and he's also the technical editor for the Catalina 400 for the Catalina Owner's Association newsletter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-23-2010
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinlegs View Post
Comfort where? At the dock, or at sea? They're two very different creatures.
+1

Very different, and you can have both.....

Interior comfort is a great thing but, sailing ability, comfort at sea and safety are higher as far as I am concerned. FWIW.

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

Last edited by cb32863; 11-23-2010 at 08:29 AM.