SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   What on earth do I buy?? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/70101-what-earth-do-i-buy.html)

redunculous 11-22-2010 04:14 PM

What on earth do I buy??

So

I initially started looking at hunters as the interiors are laid out in such a way I can see myself comfortable on board for long periods of time.

Then the workmanship was placed under a cloud by a few people... Not only that but the rigging as well as the sail-ability.

So I switched fire to a Catalina 380 around the 1995 upwards mark. I heard good things about them with regards to the build and the way they sail.

What do I want my boat to do

Simple really, I wish to put it somewhere like the keys, and island hop, furthest I plan on is heading over to the Bahamas etc and hopping some more.

So is a Catalina going to do what I need it to do? Can it handle those crossings without too much pain? I've heard lots of bad things but I've also heard lots of good things.

Too much information really can be a bad thing as I now really doubt my choices, although when it comes to safety that can't be a bad thing.

I hope this all makes sense and someone can give me some clarity because I desperately need it.

eMKay 11-22-2010 04:39 PM

Yeah, it will be fine, as will Hunters. What idiot told you they were poorly built?

redunculous 11-22-2010 04:42 PM

Actually my sailing instructor....

So both of those boats are going to do the job well enough?

cb32863 11-22-2010 04:44 PM

Budget would be helpful. Also, why limit yourself to Hunter & Catalina? There are more out there for what you want to do. Tartan, Sabre, Valiant, Pearson, Nordic, Cal, C&C... etc... There is this info too.

redunculous 11-22-2010 04:49 PM

Budgets around 90k which rules out a few of those as the minimum I wish to go for is 38ft

I've had a look at the ones you've listed but as bad as it sounds I really like the layouts on the hunters and catalina.

Thank you for the site, I was buried in that the other night but have no idea how I missed that page haha!

GeorgeB 11-22-2010 05:21 PM

A Catalina can easily handle the trips you envision. I've recently come back from the Baja Ha Ha where three Catalina 36's made the 900 NM trip without a problem. Is your $90k budget after taxes? This might be tough to buy a 380 for that amount. for example, my 2000 C34 recently appraised for that amount.

bljones 11-22-2010 05:23 PM

I would kill for a $90K budget. I'd be buying a whole GRIP of boats.

cb32863 11-22-2010 05:29 PM

And as always is stated in the "I want to buy a boat" threads, leave about 20% for upgrades and what not.... Glad you found the info helpfull and I was just curious on your brand selection is all.

redunculous 11-22-2010 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeB (Post 669471)
A Catalina can easily handle the trips you envision. I've recently come back from the Baja Ha Ha where three Catalina 36's made the 900 NM trip without a problem. Is your $90k budget after taxes? This might be tough to buy a 380 for that amount. for example, my 2000 C34 recently appraised for that amount.

I think I should be ok, I have the 90k before taxes and them some left over for whatever I encounter that requires some work.

I understand its going to be a bit of a squeeze price wise but its going to be cash and I'm hopeful that with the economy the way it is that a boat owner who's had their boat static on the market for over a year (of which there is quite a few) is going to accept an offer in my price range.

How did they fair in rough weather? Do they hold well or are you battling to stay on course?

Thanks for the info

redunculous 11-22-2010 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cb32863 (Post 669477)
And as always is stated in the "I want to buy a boat" threads, leave about 20% for upgrades and what not.... Glad you found the info helpfull and I was just curious on your brand selection is all.

For me its pretty much about the interior and the comfort factor.

I was slightly worried about the lack of a backstay on the hunters which was another reason I moved onto the Catalina