Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2010

mikeafloat is on a distinguished road
Where in the world is the cheapest?

A hypothetical question for the worldly sailor: if identical boats were sold in the Mediterranean, the east and west coasts of the US, Australia and Thailand, how would you order the locations, from cheapest to the most expensive?

Let's imagine that the yacht in question is a 10 year old 40’ cruiser of a well known brand..

Cheers, Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2010
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Austraila is the most expensive - for everything - without a doubt.
Old 11-28-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
The US. With the largest market of buyers and sellers the prices are the lowest. With the recent economic issues prices are even lower.
Old 11-28-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
The problem with this question, is not only what you pay for the boat, but where do you need to get it too! Shiping could outweigh the lower cost of the boat, THen again, if it is something you have to have, there are very few around........better buy it where you can find it!

As a comparison, my 85 Jeanneau Arcadia is a low to mid 20K boat, the few I find listed in Europe, ie where the other 280 out of 305 built are, they list at twice what the going rate is here in the states. BUT, shipping it to Europe, is going to cost 10K, or sailing it over.......

Marty
Old 11-29-2010
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Marty, some people are content to find the lowest-priced whatever-they're-looking-for anywhere in the world, fly there (one way), buy it, live on it for a while pottering around a cruising area they'd never otherwise go to and then either sail or ship the boat home - so it's a fair enough question.

There's a (very) good chance that, if it's expensive to buy a boat of Size/Type X, it will also cost a lot to fix/fit-out/cruise it in the same locale and is thus best avoided.. if you have the choice, simply because you don't already live there.
Old 11-29-2010

nemier is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
The US. With the largest market of buyers and sellers the prices are the lowest. With the recent economic issues prices are even lower.

Washington, California, Texas, Florida, or East Coast States?
I'm in the market...
Old 11-29-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Once you decide what you want search for prices in different areas. But since you live in N. Vancouver a bit lower price in Florida isn't really a bonus. In addition to the shipping cost which can easily be 5 figures a Florida boat will probably not be in as good shape due to UV issues. I'd look down the West Coast.
Old 11-29-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Camaron,

I would agree that some will buy in an area then do as you say. Some will not. I do feel the shipping needs to be in the equation to a degree. On the other hand, the OP has not said what size of boat either. So a 30' ftr like mine, the 10K to ship is a different animal than say if one was buying an a Oyster at 60 -80', 10K shipping on a $100-200K drop in price is a whole nuther issue! BUT, I doubt an Oyster is too different in price no matter the size or where it is parked if you will.

Marty
Old 11-29-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
yachtworld.com, or any simliar site will give you the answer by taking a little time to do the research.It could be anywhere in the world ...........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-29-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Short answer, ex charter, Carribean or Western Meditteranean.

Long snwer, while you can pick up the odd bargain in various outlying ports if you want a wide selection of vessels there are really only five alternatives being East Coast America, West Coast America, Meditteranean, Northern Europe and the Caribbean. Australia and New Zealand have relatively low available stock and high prices compared to Europe and America, particularly now that the AUD is less than 10% shy of the USD and 30% shy of the Euro, rest of Asia and Africa very low stock available.

Until some time in 2009 America was the obvious choice, particularly west coast although ex charter boats in the Carribean and western Meditteranean have always looked to be bargains. I've known Australians who have taken both options, usually then either heading to Europe or transitting either Suez or Panama and back to Oz. Piracy has made Suez a worry. Whatever you do, it is a long haul home. Shipping costs (circa 40') if you put her on a freighter is going to be roughly USD$30.000-$40.000 so shipping tends to make more sense the more expensive is the boat purchased. If you want to sail her back to Oz or NZ then West Coast America is the obvious place to go. The market is pretty well stuffed and there are bargains a plenty provided you go with a popular west coast boat production builder, i.e popular on the west coast, not necessarily built there.

That said the cheapest newish boats anywhere are surely going to be ex charter and that means Western Meditteranean or the Caribbean. Negatives....could have had a hard life, could have been poorly maintained, could have too many cabins and not enough storage.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett