Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2010

Moody38CC is on a distinguished road
Moody crusing

I own a 2002 Moody 38CC, Bill Dixon design, and use her on the Chesapeake, keeping her in Deltaville. I have taken her to New England via the C&D Canal a couple of times. Have cruised all over the Bay.

Normally the boat has only my wife and I as crew, and it is fine for two adults. Four adults, look at the 42. The 38 would do with two small children. They would bunk in the V-berth. The settees can be slept on--by kids.

As a center cockpit boat, the rear cabin is very large with a queen centerline bunk--why we bought it. Climbing over someone or being climbed over at 2 AM is not the fun it once was. There are walk-throughs to the rear cabin on both sides of the boat--one from the galley; the other from the nav station and through the head, which has a separate and fully enclosed shower.

The 38CC Moody has one head which can be entered from the owner's aft cabin and the salon. Our boat has a genset (Panda 4.2) and air conditioning, for us a must. The genset allows running the a/c on the hook, and my genset can be set to exhaust via the main engine exhaust or directly under the boat. The latter option means you will not disturb anyone at anchorage. The boat has roller reefing for main and jib, for me a safety factor as one does not have to leave the cockpit. Every now and then something jams and has to be adjusted, but it is a boat and they do that.

The stern is sugar scoop and I keep my dinghy on davits, so at anchor, I lower the dinghy and one can swim off the stern and board there as well. However, swimming not so good on the Bay owing to the nettles (jelleyfish).

We have a dodger and bimini with zip-in side and rear panels with both isinglass and screen panels--a must for the occasional fly swarm. The fully enclosed cockpit keeps us dry in bad weather and warm, and in the summer, the screening means more time above at anchor in case the bugs are out or one is anchored too close to shore.

The engnie is a Yanmar 4JH3E I beleive--54 hp. The boat is overpowered as it is the same engine used in the Moody 42, as is most of the equipment, but I'd rather have that as in heavy wind or current, we never worry about enough oomph. Uses about a gallon an hour when motoring above 6 knots. I have a shallow draft wing keel, 4'9" and a small rig (52') which is ideal on the Bay. No sweat under the Cape May Canal bridges at low tide.

The boat is built solidly--the quality is fine. She sails well in medium and up air. She is heavy (18500) so she likes some wind. Heavy gives a stiff boat. She'll move slowly in light air, but when the wind gets to 14 or higher, she comes alive. Very comfortable sail; down below no noise at all when under any pioint of sail. Start reefing after 20 or 25 (if you like to bury the rail). And speaking of that, no rub rail. She has a teak cap rail (ugh--varnish) all around and I have stainless strakes screwed to the outside of the cap rail which absorb the dings of docking at the Bay's ubiquitous pilings.

Moodys are not cheap and there is a reason, and I was willing to spend a few more dollars to get a boat that can take more than I can. Very seaworthy; solid; stiff; peace of mind.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook