Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPC View Post
I believe that most if not all states allow you to change your mind on real estate purchases within 72 hours or some such.......
I think you are confusing the right to back out of a refinance of your own home. Banks will also hold the funds until that time passes.
RobGallagher likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2010

SPC is on a distinguished road
California
Consumer Transactions with Statutory Contract Cancellation Rights: Legal Guide K-6 - California Department Of Consumer Affairs

My neighbor, an attorney, does the time share trips and immediately agrees to purchase so they will leave him alone on his short holiday. He then cancels purchase when he gets home. It's hard to pick the good guy and bad guy in that scenario.
Old 12-06-2010
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatsmith View Post
Boat Angel is selling low cost donated boats. Expecting to get a good boat that is not in need of major work is not realistic. Their ads set forth their policies very clearly, if you bid you may win and you have now bought a boat. This is not a normal yacht purchase where you submit an offer subject to conditions is not part of the deal. They offer some boats that are well worth their selling price but it is certainly not a risk free situation. Their boats are sold very clearly on an as-is/where-is basis.
Sorry, but I'm with Boatsmith on this one. BoatAngel is very clear in their conditions, and if you're expecting a "charity boat" to be in great shape, then you have totally unrealistic expecations.

When I was boat shopping, I looked at some of their ads. I refused to consider any boat that wasn't geographically close enough to go and inspect.

In the end, I chose another boat being sold privately. Due to the economic downturn, there are oodles of "fixer-uppers" being sold privately that the sellers would be glad to have you aboard for an inspection, and that would likely be geographically near the buyer.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 12-06-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPC View Post
California
Consumer Transactions with Statutory Contract Cancellation Rights: Legal Guide K-6 - California Department Of Consumer Affairs

My neighbor, an attorney, does the time share trips and immediately agrees to purchase so they will leave him alone on his short holiday. He then cancels purchase when he gets home. It's hard to pick the good guy and bad guy in that scenario.
Not really. Your neighbor has just gone from duppee to duper. Two wrongs don't make a right, etc, etc.
Old 12-06-2010

What's been posted here from Angel Boat is pretty clear. I wouldn't buy from them on Ebay, but I can't fault them. I guess one tries to buy something at pennies on the dollar and you enter the risk v reward game.
Old 12-06-2010

lickingcardboard is on a distinguished road
BOAT ANGLE does not sell anything, yo Will get a BOS from the one that donates the boat and you will get a receipt from BOAT ANGLE for the Fund you give them for "said" boat, but "said" boat will never be in the name of BOAT ANGLE.

I was on Ebay and bid $794.87 on a 1972 Westerly, was just being A$$ seeing the $1.01 to $1.02 bidding at the time, yes i paid them thee bid price the boat was in Brick NJ, she was sailable and she was worth the price and more, but she was never in the name of BOAT ANGLE, there misleading and hard to get more info from, so i don't even look at there boats any more.
Old 12-06-2010

SPC is on a distinguished road
Yes, I have purchased houses in Texas (1978), Missouri (1984 and 1990) and California (2000). I have a high credit score and a 468 on Ebay at 100% (Chatmanx). I have also bought and sold lots of cars, all for cash -- it's a hobby. I'm not suggesting that anyone screw anyone over. I'm just trying to help a possible Ebay buyer understand their legal and practical options. Especially their responsibility for "real damages" if the deal falls through.

And yes, I am probably especially pessimistic about the "power" of contracts today. I was in Yolo Superior Court this morning to set a trial date. The attorneys of both parties created a contract in mediation that the other party has decided to ignore. So, we are suing them at our financial loss to enforce a contract that they signed in mediation. The mediation, of course, occurred because the other party ignored an earlier contractual agreement.

If you have been in this type of situation, then you know that contracts are not what you first thought they were when you, as an honest person, signed your name as an adult to a long list of promises. I think that is especially true with Ebay because the buyer is the one person on the entire planet most interested in the product -- highest bidder. As the only person bringing cash into the transaction and the one person willing to bring the most cash into the transaction, the buyer has a great deal of power and the seller has a huge reason to make the deal happen.

The bottom-line is do not lay your money down if you're not satisfied with the deal -- ever. You have legal and practical options. That's all.
Old 01-03-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lickingcardboard View Post
BOAT ANGLE does not sell anything, yo Will get a BOS from the one that donates the boat and you will get a receipt from BOAT ANGLE for the Fund you give them for "said" boat, but "said" boat will never be in the name of BOAT ANGLE.

I was on Ebay and bid $794.87 on a 1972 Westerly, was just being A$$ seeing the $1.01 to $1.02 bidding at the time, yes i paid them thee bid price the boat was in Brick NJ, she was sailable and she was worth the price and more, but she was never in the name of BOAT ANGLE, there misleading and hard to get more info from, so i don't even look at there boats any more.
Did you take possession of the boat?
Am I correct in that you had to pay the full amount bid plus 169 before you got the address to see the boat?
Old 01-03-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
The buyer is at significant risk if they have to pay before seeing the boat.
What may not be really evident is that the seller is probably at significant risk also.
The reason BA give a free depth finder or whatever other little gadget is not out the generosity of their heart.
They are interpreting the donation laws and sort of saying that because they are a charity and substantially upgraded the vehicle the seller can take the full book value of the vehicle as a deduction rather than the sale price.
They also say that they are not accountants and their paperwork will be legal which I suspect it is and only reflect the sale price and if you take the higher deduction you are on your own.

Then chances of the IRS demanding the list of sellers every 6.5 years and contacting them all is probably going to depend on how much money the IRS thinks it can make by going through the trouble.
Old 01-03-2011

dman535 is on a distinguished road
I bought my Catalina 27 off ebay. I found out where the boat was located, I called the yard owner and asked if I could look at it. So I had the opportunity to scope the vessel out before I bid on it. I ended up getting the boat for $1300 and some back storage fees. What was listed in the auction wasn't accurate - so I talked with the Boat Angel people to get the price down a bit. This is probably a rare case for these, the boat was in pretty decent shape and it turned out to be a great cruising boat. The real key is trying to do some investigative work before bidding.