Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman535 View Post
I bought my Catalina 27 off ebay. I found out where the boat was located,
How did you find out what yard it was in?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-13-2011

dvdcnl is on a distinguished road
Exclamation boat angel

I bought a Columbia 29 from b a back in 04. Had the dickins getting paperwork so I could register it because the donor didn't give them any. Finally had to demand they give me papers or my money back. Finally they got the donor to send the paperwork. I think they want papers before they will accept a donation now. BTW, the boat needed fixing up a little but the A4 ran good, had good sails and the price was right. I bought a pig in a poke but it turned out ok. Don't know if I'd do it again tho.
Old 01-13-2011

dman535 is on a distinguished road
Here were the before pics:
Catalina 27

These are the result after a few months work and a couple grand:
http://www.opus45.com/c27_pics/

The ebay listing for the boat showed the city it was sitting. I found there were only a couple of marinas in that city. Took a drive out and checked it out. I lucked out on this one as the boat was pretty well taken care of, and the owner was careful about storing the boat. All the sails, cushions, electronics etc were at his home. There were other boats on the lot that were left to rot full of water, sails on board - just nothing left to salvage.

Derek.-
Old 02-03-2011

ThumperJR is on a distinguished road
I just started working with these guys so I wanted to comment. They keep the locations secret so people are not stealing things off the boats. If you want to view an item, you simply email brian through the auction and he will show the boat. They require all paperwork before they take a vessel, maybe that's new but they do it now. Untill they got me they only had the owners word to go by, most boats and jetski's "only need a battery" but have fried electrics or a ceased motor. I am a certified marine mechanic with over 10 years experence and I check out the mechanical condition of the boats now. They operate on a shoe string budget and do the best they can. If you have a question about a vessel just email them and they will anwer it, or show you the boat!

Last edited by ThumperJR; 02-03-2011 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-03-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperJR View Post
.......They keep the locations secret so people are stealing things off the boats.......
Kind of unfortunate slip of the keyboard.

It does sound like you are allowing them to get better control of the process.
Old 02-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Kind of unfortunate slip of the keyboard.

It does sound like you are allowing them to get better control of the process.
Posting from my phone, thanks for pointing that out, its fixed.

I hope to make things go a little smoother. They have had a few issues that hopefully I will keep from repeating by giving them more information to place their auctions. But there will always be someone who thinks that they are getting a 100% perfect boat with a warranty. They try to be as honest as possible in their auctions and I think the pictures help that.
Old 02-03-2011

dman535 is on a distinguished road
Are we talking about the same people? This place is based out of Arizona

Charity Boat Donations -Boat Donation Donate Boat - Donate Your Used Boat!

Their auctions are all over the country and most of them are not viewable, its says so right in the ebay auctions.

Derek.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperJR View Post
I just started working with these guys so I wanted to comment. They keep the locations secret so people are not stealing things off the boats. If you want to view an item, you simply email brian through the auction and he will show the boat. They require all paperwork before they take a vessel, maybe that's new but they do it now. Untill they got me they only had the owners word to go by, most boats and jetski's "only need a battery" but have fried electrics or a ceased motor. I am a certified marine mechanic with over 10 years experence and I check out the mechanical condition of the boats now. They operate on a shoe string budget and do the best they can. If you have a question about a vessel just email them and they will anwer it, or show you the boat!
Old 02-03-2011

that's not them. Sorry, i thought it was, its boats with causes that contacted me. I work with a local broker who handles their stuff down here in florida, all the stuff i mess with is small enough to put in the storage yard. The bigger stuff that stays at the donors house can't be veiwed. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by ThumperJR; 02-03-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-03-2011
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
Beautiful boat, Derek!!!! My best sailing buddy owns the same boat, in tall rig. He's a full time live-aboard. At 6'3" I can actually stand up down below.

Not so on me humble little boat. I still love her.
Old 09-04-2011

kcrco is on a distinguished road
Boatangel has been a great and reasonable site for looking for fixer-uppers. But latley the boats are getting rougher and the increase in the processing fee is ridiculous. I've been following you dailey, and bought several boats, since you came to Ebay which I believe was in 2002. With the new $249.00 processing fee it's time to take Boatangels off the favorite list.