Boat Angel - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 79 Old 09-11-2013

Re: Boat Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Did you have to pay before you were able to see the boat?
If after you saw the boat did you have the option to get your money back?
I had the option to inspect the boat before I paid but I didn't have the opportunity. I paid for the boat sight unseen except for the description and pictures. I made arrangements with the owner to leave it where it was until spring (approx. 4 months) That's when I first saw the boat. Everything was as described or better. Best and easiest transaction I've ever made. I don't know if I could have gotten my money back or not. I think not. I was a yacht broker in my past and I know you would not in the open market.

Harry
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 79 Old 05-06-2014
sloblowboat

i know this is a old thred but yes i did buy a boat from them on ebay! it went very smoth and as they said if i did not take the boat they would refund my money! so i bid! it eneded i sent the money i went and saw the boat it was alot better then they said so i called they sent all the paper work it was done ! then i saw a fishing boat it said it had not been started in 2 years so i thought wy not! i bid and won! i sent the money i went and saw the boat and wow it was a joke the motor was locked up the hull was beat to death the trailer was rusted so bad it would not tow anywhere, i called and i was shocked the money was refunded is 2 days! i will buy from them but remeber do it at a risk! wy would someone give away a great boat? you will have some work to do!
davidpm likes this.
post #53 of 79 Old 04-09-2016

this is an old thread....
my experience dealing with the guys at boat angel has been a nightmare. i lived about 800 miles from where the boat for auction was at. luckily i recognized the marina where the boat was. i had a friend that lived close and was able to go look at the boat for me. other than some minor nit pick repairs the boat was in great condition. so i started the bid. i called boat angel for some clarification and they were rude right off the bat. so my first impression was not great.
i ended up winning the auction, for a steal. paid within an hour of auction close. they emailed me what they call a bill of sale, along with the pick up info. they also fedex the paper work as well. i had to call, three times to get a tracking number. i ended up on the third time talking to the head guy. he explained that the paper work sent would just be copies of what had already been sent. he said he would send out the title after i claimed the boat. not something that was included in the ad! i explained that i was moving to the marina where the boat was at and was anxious to have all paperwork before i moved. he then said that there was nothing really important in the packet they fedexed and if i was in a rush just head down to the boat. that he would send the title when i picked up the boat..... well i got the package and it was just copies of the stuff emailed. pretty close to worthless as nothing is actually signed, everything is copies. it did include all the keys to the boat. i would call those important. at this point i had spent 40+ minutes on the phone with two different guys. fairly rude and it seemed there over all desire was to just get off the phone.
so i make the drive and claim the boat. the boat was all my friend had said and more. great marina, great location. the marina gives you the option of yearly contract, or month to month....oddly if you're living aboard it's cheaper to do the monthly versus the annual with live aboard tacked on. paid the slip rent. called boat angel told them i was happy with the boat. that i had made arrangements with the marina and paid for the slip. then the main guy starts giving me the run around. apparently a month to month lease is a problem for them. he wanted some sort of proof, so i told him, call the marina and verify. so he did. he calls me back and tells me the marina manager said i hadn't paid anything, which was a bold faced lie on his part. i called the manager and she had spoke with him, and did confirm that i had took over the slip and paid the rent. she was astounded about how bold the guy was to blatantly lie. so i call boat angel again and tell them to send the title to the marina..... once more the head guy, brian, starts giving me the run around. he wants to send it to my old address... HELLO.... i'd already told him i was moving to the marina! he says the title might get lost if he sends it to the marina, or the fedex guy might not be able to find the marina.... considering how small the town is and how big the marina is...... all very very lame excuses. in the end he agrees to send the title to the marina, with the package being addressed to the marina manager...and that he would have it at fedex in an hour or so. though it was painful, i did thank him, and
asked him to email me the tracking number. this was on 4\8..... so far no tracking number....
so in summary even though i got an awesome deal on the boat. boat angel has been a real nightmare to deal with. very rude. no follow through or follow up. you have to stay on top of them. they've outright lied a few times. extra after the sale stipulations, not included in the ad. i would warn anyone that deals with them to proceed with caution. best to view them like a seedy car salesman.
this is still ongoing as i have not got all the paper work, so i'll ad to this thread when i get all the correct paperwork.
post #54 of 79 Old 04-09-2016 Thread Starter

Good luck with your purchase. Keep us in the loop, thanks.
Can you tell if you are being mistreated due to just incompetence or do they have a motive of some sort.

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
The Following User Says Thank You to davidpm For This Useful Post:
cs2340 (04-11-2016)
post #55 of 79 Old 04-09-2016

In many states it's illegal to sell a boat or a car without a certificate of title. If the seller doesn't eventually produce one, or a signed, valid bill of sale, which some states will accept in lieu of a certificate of title, talk to your local police and/or prosecuting attorney. If you have paid him for the boat, there's no excuse for him to be dragging his feet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sailormon6 For This Useful Post:
cs2340 (04-11-2016)
post #56 of 79 Old 04-09-2016

I bought a boat from Boat Angel through E-bay a while back. Everything went great. Pictures were all accurate. I went in with worst case expectations based on pictures, and things were much more to the best case end of the spectrum. Paperwork was no trouble. I had to meet the family at the boat to get the registration signed over. I was worried they might be a no-show, but they came, and it was actually a pleasure to meet them. I'm sure experiences vary wildly, and some go bad, but that is mine for the record. If anyone is looking at a Boat Angel boat, I would just encourage them to have low expectations. They make it very clear they do not know anything about the boats, they just play the tax game with the donations. You can't expect them to be anything like a boat dealer, or to offer any help with storage, moving, berthing, etc...
post #57 of 79 Old 04-10-2016
░░░░░░░░░░

cs-
FedEx (and UPS) has a very simple service called "Hold at depot for pickup". You can have anything shipped to your name, but held for pickup at any local depot (including most of the storefronts) for actual pickup. They sometimes need a day to correct a delivery that is already in transit (you can request the hold while an item is in transit to your other address) or the shipper can have it sent to the depot when the item is originally shipped. Check with FedEx for your local and account options.

Some companies simply have bugs up their butts about "the way we always do things" and can't figure out how to accommodate customers. Whenever possible, I try to help them out by giving my business to someone else.(G) Of course, there aren't many competitors in the "donated boats" business.

If you haven't been able to get a tracking number...odds are they either didn't get or haven't processed (shipped) the title. Doesn't sound like you're asking anything unreasonable.
post #58 of 79 Old 04-11-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Good luck with your purchase. Keep us in the loop, thanks.
Can you tell if you are being mistreated due to just incompetence or do they have a motive of some sort.
mainly i feel it's just incompetence.... if you point out and press those issues they go on the on the defense really fast. i was finally able to get the tracking number for the paper work that was mailed out 4\8. funny though that they chose the slowest delivery fedex offered. i spoke with the guy that donated they boat again as well. he didn't go into details but apparently he's very upset with boat angel as well. on the plus side if i can't get valid paper work from boat angel.... he still has the original title for the state in which the boat is located, and has no problem giving it to me.
post #59 of 79 Old 04-11-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs2340 View Post
mainly i feel it's just incompetence....
That's the likelihood.

Quote:
if i can't get valid paper work from boat angel.... he still has the original title for the state in which the boat is located, and has no problem giving it to me.
There's the problem. The donor still has the title to the boat, and Boat Angel has sold a boat to you that they don't even own yet.

In most states, the only way to transfer ownership of any boat over about 16' (other than by order of a court) is for the seller/transferor to sign the certificate of title over to the buyer/transferee. If the donor wants a charitable tax deduction, he needs to transfer the certificate of title to Boat Angel. That's the donor's proof that he made a charitable donation. That makes Boat Angel the owner of the boat. Then, when you buy the boat, Boat Angel needs to sign over the title to you.

If the donor doesn't transfer title to Boat Angel, then he doesn't get a tax deduction, and Boat Angel won't own the boat, and consequently Boat Angel won't be able to transfer ownership to you. If you don't get the certificate of title signed over into your name, you don't own the boat, and if you don't own the boat, you won't be able to register it and operate it on the water.

I suspect the person you have been talking with is a volunteer who doesn't understand the process.

I don't know what "paperwork" the Boat Angel rep is sending you, but the paperwork that you need is a signed, valid certificate of title (assuming the boat is over 16').

Last edited by Sailormon6; 04-11-2016 at 02:32 PM.
post #60 of 79 Old 04-11-2016
░░░░░░░░░░

What sailormon said.

There's NO WAY that the donor could have a "title" if BoatAngel also had the "title", unless someone filed for a replacement of a lost title, and then found the original again. In which case, someone might have to explain which title was real and valid, and which one they had neglected to destroy, and "title" might be suspended and delayed until that was cleared up with notarized affidavits and other complications.

I'll bet the FedEx that's "coming" is like a box of Crackerjacks: There's always a surprise inside.(G)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.