Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2010

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Boat Angel

Has anyone bought a boat from eBay from boat angel? What was the experience like?
I posted on another thread my experience which is summarized as follows:
Buyer won the bid and had to pay before getting the address to see the boat. Buyer was too far away so I visited the boat for him. The boat had no interior, engine or sails so it was not worth transporting.
The buyer abandoned the boat lost his payment and luckily was not sued by the original owner to remove his boat.
The rule that you have to bid on a boat and pay in full without seeing it first makes it a very tough deal so I wonder if anyone has been a happy buyer.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Generally, buying a boat unseen is unwise at best. I'd imagine that one or two have been lucky and gotten a decent boat, but I'd bet that the majority of buyers are not so lucky.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-04-2010

SPC is on a distinguished road
Whatever you do, don't give the seller money until you are comfortable with the purchase. It really doesn't matter that they set purchasing criteria in the ad -- must send full purchase price in 48 hours for example. Just don't do it until you and your surveyor have the opportunity to check the boat. You risk a negative mark and/or you might decide to pay the seller's fee if the deal falls through. If the boat was misrepresented, just walk away.
Old 12-04-2010

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road
Most states allow some to back out or be refunded.Don't know if that is applicable here or not.Had a blind date once,kind of wish I had been blind .Skd.Can't imagine why anyone would buy a pig in a poke,IMHO marc
Old 12-05-2010
BoatSmith

Boatsmith is on a distinguished road
Boat Angel is selling low cost donated boats. Expecting to get a good boat that is not in need of major work is not realistic. Their ads set forth their policies very clearly, if you bid you may win and you have now bought a boat. This is not a normal yacht purchase where you submit an offer subject to conditions is not part of the deal. They offer some boats that are well worth their selling price but it is certainly not a risk free situation. Their boats are sold very clearly on an as-is/where-is basis.
Old 12-05-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Before doing business with them, I suggest that you see where the money goes by looking here.

I would also suggest reading about who they are by brushing up on their constitution, available here.

When you win an auction for one of their boats,
Quote:
AN ADDITIONAL $169.00 (processing fee) is added to the final bid price.
Items are sold "As Is Where Is" which is defined as follows;
Quote:
What does it mean?

We are miles away from our donations. The donors send us all paperwork by mail, including an information sheet which they sign the form with a Power of Attorney giving us and the people we sell them to Power to Transfer the ownership and move the items.

Oftentimes the sheet is filled out by wives, widows, parents, etc. Some of these are people who have not used the boat or car in a long time and they are occasionally mistaken about years and models (normally on older items) and sometimes the mistakes are even on the titles of the items themselves. You can call us and ask us about that.

At other times the information sheet is filled out and the donors themselves have moved and the boat, trailers, cars, rv's, motorcycles, vans, trucks, sailboats, canoes, or mopeds are still in storage.

We describe "Where Is": It means that when you pick up the item that is where it is. We are not making a guarantee that the item is at a specific location. We will furnish you the address the donor gives us and you will get the item in the photos. We cannot promise you that the item has not been moved from one area to another (generally the distances are quite short.) You are buying something where it is.

If there is no item: If you make an effort to pick up the item after the auction (call the donor and pick up in 4 days) and the item is simply not there (towed off, stolen or missing) then we will not keep your funds. If you make arrangements to leave it there longer with the donor, the storage yard, or the marina, then you are doing so at your own risk; you are the new owner--the obligations for insuring and securing your item are yours, we will not assume them. We do not guarantee that if you leave your item at someone else's house, storage area, marina, storage yard, or slip, that they will keep it indefinitely. It is just like parking on the street. You take the risk that it can be moved.

"AS-IS" is a phrase taken from the UCC commercial code which governs sales in the United States. (It means, As it is) There is no guarantee that the item is in any condition whatsoever. It can beautiful on the outside and need work on the inside. The ad can describe "Donor says it is running" but the donor may not have used it for 3 years or longer. We do not claim or guarantee anything excepting the item is "AS-IS." Some items need no work at all, other items will need a lot of work put in. Those are the conditions you are assuming in an "AS-IS" sale. It is an online auction conducted under the rules of EBAY. The prices are low and you need to reserve funds for moving and repairs. To get the items into tip top shape most require some work. We publish the photos given us and you can see online the date they were developed.

Once the auction is over and you have paid, we will send you the original donor form so you can see the description the donor gave us. We do our best to disclose everything on the form, but we cannot guarantee that occasionally we won't miss a donor comment. Due to poor handwriting or perhaps a comment unseen on the back of the form we have missed a few. We list about 140 items per month and it is a fairly grueling task for our listing agent. Each listing takes about 15 minutes to upload and prepare as Ebay has about 4 fields that need to be filled out.

Regarding Title Changes of Ownership: Our donors claim to own the items they donate. Sometimes they are the original owners, sometimes they purchased them used. Each state has different rules and some states do not have titles. Some states (currently 50 states in the USA, all with different regulations) have no titles for trailers or titles for certain years, and then some of those states have registration-only rules. You can find out online what your state regulations are quite easily. Some states need titles for engines. The buyer needs to know the rules of their state.*

In the case of defaced, lost or missing titles we will pay for notary services, registered mail, and lost title fees if the item is not listed "Sold on Bill of Sale Only." If it is listed, "Sold on Bill of Sale Only," we are announcing to you that the item is donated with no title from the donor. This does not mean we will pay for your new title or pay for your boat registration as those are your responsibility. We will cover only the "lost title fee" of covering the title that the donor lost. The registered mail fees back and forth we will also reimburse. If the donor has made mistakes on the title we will furnish Statement of Error Forms or new Power of Attorney Forms for the donor to notarize giving you the right to apply for a missing document or make corrections to a document with an error. If the donor has not properly transferred the titles we will cover (within reason) their cost of doing so. While this is being done it is still your responsibility to safeguard and protect your purchase. it is best to get those issues settled prior to rebuilding an engine or putting additional work into the boat.

We do not claim ownership of the donations just the right to sell them granted by the donors who have claimed to be the rightful owner. We have been granted power of attorney by our donor and the right to sell/transfer their items and for the monies received to go to our charity. You are getting the item from our donors directly with the funds going to us.

In short, we will do the best job we can to insure that you can legally use your item and enjoy it for years to come.

Thank You,
Boat Angel Outreach Center Team
Note that I am neither promoting nor critiquing them, just suggesting that you be aware of with whom you may be doing business.
Old 12-05-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARC2012 View Post
Most states allow some to back out or be refunded.Don't know if that is applicable here or not.Had a blind date once,kind of wish I had been blind .Skd.Can't imagine why anyone would buy a pig in a poke,IMHO marc
Coulod you explain your basis for this. I would suspect you are confusing state car lemon laws with a boat purchase. I believe actually in most states, certainly MA, you sign a contract to buy, and after any continguies expire, you own it. Especially once the seller rhas your money.
Old 12-05-2010

SPC is on a distinguished road
I believe that most if not all states allow you to change your mind on real estate purchases within 72 hours or some such. I don't think that will apply to boats but check your state laws.

I will reiterate that you should determine the conditions with which you are comfortable. Fine, if you win you have agreed to the contract they specified. Big deal. Sure, if they are in the same town, maybe you could be sued but even then you can only be sued for damages. They can not force you to buy the boat. The only damages that I see would be the Ebay fees and I'm not sure how many apply for a relisting.

If you are the winning bidder, tell them what you are willing to do. For example, arrange for a local survey ASAP and then you will make a decision. If that is unacceptable, then they can list it again or try the next highest bidder. You should pay the fees that they incur.

Frankly, if they will not agree to a local survey done within the week, then you should walk regardless.
Old 12-05-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPC View Post
I believe that most if not all states allow you to change your mind on real estate purchases within 72 hours or some such...
Yikes, you ever buy a house?

Name one.
Old 12-06-2010

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road
Stated not certain if applicable.marc