Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2011

ttavenner is on a distinguished road
Gs 40

I have hull # 5 and sail her in Maine. purchased the boat in 06 and love it. Points extremely well and great performance for her weight. vast cockpit, plenty of room down below with quality craftsmanship, ample storage and great lines. Nothing not to like about these boats and overall well built. As part of purchase 2 blisters were repaired on bottom but I have seen no signs of anything further. survey showed no deck moisture. she will submarine if you use the bow water storage so I just keep it empty. I have windless which is definetely a plus. no autopilot but on my list. The portholes and someof the PVC piping to the through hulls are definetely something to replace if not yet done. I have not done so but on my list before I take her off shore.

Lastly, make sure the centerboard trunk/cable is in good shape. Mine snapped 40 miles offshore 2 years ago so the board was all the way down. The board worked fine but where the cable attaches to the trunk the years of salt water corroded it. Had to turn around and ended up having the entire trunk plate re-bed so I won't have to worry about it. The trunk sits below the waterline so nothing to fool around with!

Is the boat you are looking at in MA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2011

kmp1284 is on a distinguished road
Yes, it was the one in Marblehead, MA; Patriot I believe is the name. For a while there this seemed like the ideal boat but my price point has changed a bit and it's no longer on my list. I never got to the point of seeing it in person but I had the opportunity to get a lot of feedback both here and in real life and by all accounts it's a very well regarded boat aside from the minor issues you've mentioned and those are fairly typical of a larger, production builder in that era.
Old 01-17-2011

ttavenner is on a distinguished road
gs 40

will do. best of luck with your search. there is another for sale in california for 50k but needs some TLC. check out gulfstarownersclub.com and look up "where are they now" It is the boat that had the new taller mast installed.

tom
Old 01-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavenner View Post
will do. best of luck with your search. there is another for sale in california for 50k but needs some TLC. check out gulfstarownersclub.com and look up "where are they now" It is the boat that had the new taller mast installed.

tom

Thanks but when I say the price point has changed it's increased. I'm primarily looking at the J/44 now.
Old 01-17-2011
Admirals fav target

NCountry is on a distinguished road
Before you go for the J boat you should take a look at the Gulfstar 44 CC. Ours is an awesome boat. Not that the J/44 isn't. Robert Perry is apparently a fan of the 44 and the build quality is first rate. Ours is fast on the water and super comfortable at anchor. She's definately a world cruiser class boat.... One thing you'll notice about the Gulfstar 44 is that the owners tend to keep them for years and years. That alone should tell you something.
Good Luck on your shopping! Looking at boats is almost as fun as sailing them....
Old 01-17-2011

Thanks but the J is the boat I want. Other than an Alden 46 priced slightly over my limit, I can't think of anything I would rather have in the under 250k range.
Old 01-17-2011

paulk is on a distinguished road
If you're set on the J/44, it's a nice boat. It may be a lot of boat, too. Do you cruise with crew? We had dock neighbors in Northeast Harbor (ME) on our last cruise North. The couple was just returning from Canada on their custom forty some foot sloop, which they had outfitted with lazyjacks, r/f, etc. If we hadn't been there, they would have had big trouble docking.
Old 01-18-2011

Longer cruises and ocean work would be with crew, probably a total of three or four which is more than adequate for the 44 and day sails and short overnighters would be done either solo or with crew. I realize for some people this probably seems like a lot of boat, for me it's not. I've been around boats my whole life and have a fairly solid delivery and racing resume under my belt. If you're in good shape, have the boat properly set up for shorthanded sailing and most importantly, you know your limits and don't have a tendency to be stupid or rash about things virtually any size boat can be sailed solo.
Old 01-20-2011

bgytr is on a distinguished road
G-40, J-44

Hey- I made a comment about the Gulfstar 40 in the other thread, my dad owned one as a kid, and sold it to get a J-44, which he owned for 6 years. Both boats raced and cruised extensively.

The 44 will obviously sail circles around the G-40, but I still love the G-40. Very solid and comfortable feel, and the shoal draft for cruising made a big difference on the Chesapeake.

If you are looking into performance cruising, have you thought about a J-120? It will hang with a J-44 in just about all conditions, and is a heck of a lot easier to sail (I've done much ocean racing on one). Also, the J-120 has a lot of ergonomic fixes that make the boat much more comfortable and easier to handle at sea.
Old 04-11-2013

DesertPirate is on a distinguished road
Re: Ted Hood Gulfstar 40

To kmp1284...I know this is a reply to old posts, but I was wondering if you ever found out more about the Ted Hood Gulfstar 40 and if you ever bought one. People throw out such erroneous information on these forums that you have to take all posts with a grain of salt until you can due your dd. As someone finally posted, the GS 37 and the GS 40 are two entirely different boats. Very few GS 40's were built, but they do come up for sale from time to time. I should know as I have looked at them myself and of all the GS boats, I think the Ted Hood 40 is the nicest looking boat. That is not surprising since Ted Hood designed it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.