Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2010

kmp1284 is on a distinguished road
Ted Hood Gulfstar 40

I put this in the boat reviews sub-forum a couple weeks ago but it didn't seem to get any attention. I figured I'd try posting once more here in hopes of someone with some familiarity with this boat coming along.

I'm looking for some info on a Gulfstar 40 designed by Ted Hood, particularly sailing characteristics, build quality, things to watch for in survey, etc. I'm not normally a fan of Gulfstar but this one really caught my eye. Basically my brief, if you will, calls for a 36-42 foot moderate/heavy displacement, shoal-moderate draft sloop or cutter with with both dockside liveaboard comfort and bluewater capabilities and preferably, some aesthetic appeal. I'm not looking for a circumnavigator, but I want something that I can take offshore without having to question whether the boat can handle heavy weather. The majority of the sailing I'll be doing will however consist of day sails and weekend cruising, at least for now. At the moment I have no plans to race as I'm committed to other boats but down the road I could see participating in the occasional evening beer can race and shorter overnight races. For reference purposes, other boats I've been looking at recently include the Bristol 38.8, Passport 40, J/37, J/40, Cape Dory 36, Sabre 38 and Sabre 36. Among all boats mentioned, the Gulfstar and J/40 are the only ones I have not spent a fair amount of time aboard, The particular boat I'm interested in has had many improvements made over the last several years including a new engine and engine room insulation, new prop, cutlass bearing and stuffing box, recently awlgripped topsides, new ports/hatches and new teak dorade boxes and handholds. It doesn't seem to have much in the way of electronics so I'd be adding a GPS, radar, plotter(probably a combined Furuno NavNet system) and an autopilot. An Espar heating system and power windlass would also be on the list of immediate improvements followed by replacing the two burner Shipmate stove with a Luke Heritage Model 5, if it fits.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-08-2010
Dreamer

jordanship is on a distinguished road
I saw your post awhile ago, but I am not qualified to respond. I have heard that the GS 40 Hood is one of best performing Gulfstars. I too would like to hear details from any first hand person. I think you are on to something.
Old 12-08-2010

rmeador is on a distinguished road
I may be confusing my Gulfstar history a little bit, but I believe that the Hood-designed 40 was one of three boats to share the same hull mold, the other two being the 37 and the 43. For the shorter ones, they essentially just cut off the stern of the larger ones, which is why the 37 has such a long LWL and so much interior volume. My 37 is a very fast boat for her length. I can easily achieve 7-7.5kts boat speed in ~12kts of wind, 8kts in 15-20kts wind, and I've maintained over 8.5kts in stronger wind. My wind speed sensor doesn't work so I can't be sure how fast. It seems to take seas very well, but the biggest I've been in are about 6'. The Gulfstars of this period (mid to late 70s) are very well built. My surveyor said he would feel comfortable taking it to Bermuda (which is one of my goals), and my rigger said he'd feel comfortable circumnavigating in it (I don't know if I'd go that far, but so far it does seem really solid). The deck and rig were different on each of the three boats made from that hull, which would probably significantly affect sailing performance, so I don't know how useful the above info is. I also could be wrong about the 40 being one of those three boats that used that hull.

This site seems to back up my assertion about the boats from this time period being quality-built. All of my info is from a former Gulfstar dealer who visited the factory many times.

Last edited by rmeador; 12-08-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-09-2010

Thanks for the info on the 37. Early in my search, I spent some time looking at the 37 and I don't think they're off of the same mold - different designer, different underbody, hull in general doesn't look remotely similar. Somehow in my first few google searches I missed the Gulfstar Owners website which has a partial listing of owners. Conveniently there are two 40's located in relatively close proximity to me, so I'm going to attempt to get in contact with the owners in the coming days to get some firsthand information. Needless to say, if anyone else has anything to offer about these boats, I'd love to hear it.
Old 12-09-2010

rmeador is on a distinguished road
My apologies if I mislead you. There seems to be enough interest in the history of Gulfstar that maybe I should go do an official interview of the guy who told me all this stuff and get it written down and published.
Old 12-09-2010

mike dryver is on a distinguished road
the Gulf Star 37 has beam of 11ft 10 in and the Hood Gulf Star 40 has a beam of 11ft 1inch, and the angle of attack is finer and more angled than the 37 so absolutely not same mold. the 37 and the 43 are same mold i believe as i think they put a plug into back end of mold and same in keel cavity. The Hood 40 is definately a sexy boat
Old 12-09-2010

Hello rmeador we have hull no. 141 on the 37 in Newburyport that's all not trying to steal thread
Old 12-09-2010

KMP1284 if the boat is a 78 or newer the build quality should be quite good, as that is when G.S. woke up and started building the boats properly, and their quality was second to none in the production industry. they were the innovators of open concept and the beautiful interior finish/craftsman-ship. this was a giant step forward from previous yrs. which is a issue they had and still have to overcome.
Old 12-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeador View Post
My apologies if I mislead you. There seems to be enough interest in the history of Gulfstar that maybe I should go do an official interview of the guy who told me all this stuff and get it written down and published.
No need to apologize. When I first saw the 40 I was wondering myself if it had evolved out of the 37 but it seems that's not the case. It's great to see some Gulf Star owners around Boston though. I live in Boston myself but sail mainly on Buzzards Bay and needless to say, we don't see many Gulf Stars down there.
Old 12-14-2010
Dreamer

jordanship is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeador View Post
That would be awesome! My disappointment in the lack of information online is what triggered me to write the previously referenced: Gulfstar Yachts Review: A Complicated History. I wonder why there is so little written about Gulfstar online...kind of bizarre.

For what it's worth, I second that we're mixing up different designs here. The 37 is a Lazzara (Dick?) design while of course the 40-footer was by Ted Hood.