Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2010

AKUMAL is on a distinguished road
Question How To Register A Boat In Bvi?

Hello to everybody!
I'm new in this forum and sorry for my English, I'm Italian.........
I need your help to understand how to register a boat in BVI.
We (my husband and me) are going to buy a sail boat located in Tortola and we would like to know the best way to register her.
Is it possible register the boat as private and not under a company? (We don't want put her in charter).
We have Italian and Mexican passport.
Our idea is to sail around all the Caribbean and arrive, maybe in the next 2-3 years, in Mexico (Atlantic side).

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-08-2010

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Talk with the authorities in BVI, and Italy and Mexico to find the optimal option.

To flag a boat under in the BVI, you need to be a British citizen. BVI is a British territory but not part of EU. The other option would be to establish a corporation in BVI and have the boat registered with the corporation as the owner.

Why not flag as Italian or Mexican, you could still base the boat in BVI.
Old 12-08-2010

AKUMAL is on a distinguished road
Thank you Ulladh for the fast reply!

If we flag the boat in Italy, do we have to pay 20% VAT even if we don´t sail in Italian territory?
And about Mexico...all say that it is not a "good" flag for a boat, is it true?

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
To flag a boat under in the BVI, you need to be a British citizen. ......
Are you sure? The BVI have an autonomous government and the national currency is the US dollar. I don't think they give a hoot if you are a British Citizen. I believe the British government provides protection, but that's it.

If your entire purpose is to avoid Italy's VAT and the boat will never be in Italy, there are certainly countries that specialize in that sort of thing. Cayman Islands might be an example.

Actually, I think the BVIs themselves might be one of those places. You might need to establish a local company that actually owns the boat.

Now, if you're buying a boat in Tortola that is coming off charter and have never done that before, you may want to start another thread and ask about that specifically.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 12-08-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-09-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Your best bet is to talk to a marine law attorney in the BVIs that can help you with this. Getting information off the internet may be a good research move, but you really need a professional to guide you through the landmines that registering a boat as a foreign national in a different foreign country.

Flagging the boat in Italy or Mexico may make more sense and be less expensive than flagging it in the BVI. One other issue you may run into is you may have some problems entering other countries if you have a BVI flagged vessel, since you and your husband are not British citizens. Often, it is easier if the owner and the boat have the same nationality.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-10-2010

wardp is on a distinguished road
I would like to document a foreign hull in the US. Been waiting awhile for the Coasties to get back to me.
Old 12-10-2010

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Akumal
The VAT is due if you import the boat to the EU. Check with Italian authorities on requirements to flag as an Italian vessel.

Provided all your documents are in order I can't see why a Mexican flag would be a problem. If your intended sailing area will include Mexico then this may be the optimal choice.

Minnewaska
BVI is a British Oversea Territory with a British Governor. The Brits have a lot of little Islands scattered across the globe, all British Territory but with different levels of autonomy.

The French and Dutch also have little island territories.
Old 12-10-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardp View Post
I would like to document a foreign hull in the US. Been waiting awhile for the Coasties to get back to me.
Are you a US CITIZEN. Can't USCG Document a boat unless the ownership is OVER 51% by US Citizens.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.