SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Aloha 32 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/70632-aloha-32-a.html)

AuntB 12-13-2010 09:17 PM

Aloha 32

Our boat search continues. I have been looking at an '85 Aloha 32 on the internet. She is some distance away and I would like a few thoughts before I commit to the drive to see her in person.

We are a family of three. Most of our sailing will be in the Chesapeake but I also want to be able to visit Maine, the FL keys, and the Bahamas. More specifically we are looking for a solid, safe, simple, easy to handle, dry boat that is comfortable at sea and fun. We need adequate tanks and storage. We want a smaller boat. Finally, I want to be able to stand up below and need 6'3" of headroom.

This Aloha appears to be in good shape. Draft is 4'9". PHRF is 171. Headroom is fine and the forward work area in place of a v-berth covers storage.

There is very little information on the Aloha on the internet. I am interested in what people think of this model in terms of design, construction,and sailing and how it would match with our intended use.

Thanks in advance.

jackdale 12-13-2010 09:47 PM

Good boat. I sailed a similar one in '85. Seems solid. Not a big fan of its mainsheet system, but that is an easy fix. One of the crew was 6"5", bumped his head a few times.

Jack

Faster 12-14-2010 01:07 AM

She's a Mark Ellis design, so a good pedigree there. There were a couple of layouts, the original quite different with no V berth but a forward settee, midships head and an aft berth/cabin that would be a reasonable couples' boat. I believe the second version was more traditional, but few may have been made.

A salty looking cruiser with a spacious deep cockpit that's probably a bit quicker than she looks. We considered one but opted for something a bit bigger with two real doubles, among other things.

AuntB 12-14-2010 05:35 AM

Thanks. Both of you are saying she is a good boat, better than average. That covers local sailing in the Bay.

How will this design do off shore (assuming everything is in good shape, the rig is inspected, etc)? How would she do on the trip to the Islands or down the St Lawrence Seaway and around Nova Scotia?

gbm4th 12-14-2010 08:36 PM

There is a good review in Good Old Boat May/June 2005:

Summing up
The Mark Ellis-designed Aloha 32 is a comfortable, traditionally styled, cruis- ing sailboat. It’s a little light for serious bluewater work but is more than ad- equate for coastal cruising and that escape to the Bahamas. Even though its production run is purported to be 1979 to 1988, there weren’t hundreds built.
Consequently, there aren’t many on the market at any one time. If you are fortunate enough to locate one for sale, expect to pay in the neigh- borhood of $30,000 to $45,000, with condition being everything. For more information, see Aloha Owners Association

Good luck,
George

jimjazzdad 12-14-2010 09:24 PM

Solid cruising boat

A friend of mine had one for years and sailed it through all kinds of weather - a seaworthy boat and a good performer. Basically the "little brother" to the Niagara 35 (same designer). Bit of an untraditional layout below, but lots of room.

AuntB 12-17-2010 08:45 PM

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.