Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2010
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
You can search sailboatlistings.com as well...... just another spot. No affiliation.

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One word of warning with eBay... most of the boats sold on eBay that I've seen were AS IS... and not subject to survey or seatrial. This is really not a good idea, since you're far more likely to get a boat with serious problems that devalue it, if not giving it an actual negative value.

BTW, with a budget of under $40k, many of the boats in the 38-40' range you'll look at will be in rather poor shape overall, and many will be in need of some major refitting. It is difficult to live aboard a boat and refit it at the same time, especially if you have children and do not have a house or condo to fall back on. I would highly recommend working to increase your boat buying budget a fair bit, especially if you want to get a boat in the 38-40' LOA range.

While you don't need what Maine Sail calls a two-percenter boat, one that has been meticulously maintained, you probably do want to get one that doesn't need any major work, especially interior work, and has an interior you can live with. I'd point out that a two-percenter 35' boat sold recently for over $60,000.

I'd also point out that buying a "boat angel" boat is probably also a really bad idea. Those boats are also sold "AS IS", and many have an actual negative worth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-15-2010

LakeSuperiorGeezer is on a distinguished road
What and Where to Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
One word of warning with eBay... most of the boats sold on eBay that I've seen were AS IS... and not subject to survey or seatrial. This is really not a good idea, since you're far more likely to get a boat with serious problems that devalue it, if not giving it an actual negative value.
Never buy any boat sight unseen. I have emailed people on ebay who are selling a boat and arranged to inspect the boat. Ebay does allow you to email the seller. I am attracted to ebay because I believe this is where you will find the lowest prices when a person really has to sell. You might also arrange for a surveyor to drive by and have a quick look for for less than a full inspection. There are a few folks here on sailnet who may look at a boat for you that is in their area. There's a thread on it somewhere in sailnet. As for boats to consider, check this thread: Updated Offshore Cruising Boat List - January 2008
Sources for boats for sale:
Latitude38.com
sailboatlistings.com
yachtworld.com
craigslist
ebay
sailquest.com
marinesource.com
boattrader.com
Old 12-15-2010

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

That E-39 referenced in the earlier thread belongs to a friend of mine. Good boat, altho you would have to add shipping to move it to the right coast...
He is selling because he bought a much bigger boat.
Unlike some you hear about, that particular boat is ready to go sailing.

LB
Old 12-15-2010

groovy is on a distinguished road
I live in Boston as well and I have always wanted to cruise away as you dream about. The big question is, do you currently have a boat and how much do you know not only about sailing a boat, but also the endless task of keeping a boat? My Dad maintains a 25' sailboat at each of his homes(2) and there are times when it is a full time job. (fortunately he's retired and needs a job) My plan is to research and buy my first boat, something smaller than the one I take over the horizon, and then use owning that boat to make my mistakes and learn how to solve various problems before I retire into a bigger boat later on.
Old 12-16-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
The kids would be my primary concern. At their current ages, you pretty much tow them around as you see fit. Very shortly, they will tow you around. Keeping a permanent eye on toddlers is impossible. Considering the number of backyard pool accidents with young kids, I would be nervous effectively having an unprotected moat surrounding my house and the walkway up to it. Most young kids keep PFDs on, but that isn't practical when its your 24/7 home. In fact, my marina requires all very young kids (forgot the exact age) to have a PFD on at all times on the docks. I suspect that rule was written after an accident.

You've recognized above that it may not work as well when the kids get older. You didn't say if they are the same gender or not. From experience, young kids of opposite genders are not going to be able to share a room, after the oldest gets to about 12. The conflict starts well before that. 3 cabins would be mandatory in my mind. Oh, and the kids cabins better be identical !
Old 12-16-2010

JKCatalina310 is on a distinguished road
Try before you Commit

I am in the Boston area too and wish I could convince my wife to live aboard. I have talked to many people who are doing this and Constitution Marina in East Boston seems to be the best place for winter live a boards. Some people I have talked to, spend the winters there and move down to places like Hingham for the summer.

My biggest suggestion is to try living a board with the kids before you commit. At Constitution Marina they have a bed and breakfast were you stay on a boat. Bed and Breakfast, on a boat! They have a number of sailboats you could try.

As far as the boat, I would not be so quick to rule out Catalinas. While they are not typically the potential blue water boat that you may want, you can get a lot more boat for the money and they usually have great resale value. You could learn to sail on the Catalina, make your mistakes, then sell the boat and move up to the blue water boat.

Of the boats you listed, my preference would be the C&C landfall. We had a C&C before our current Catalina. They seem to be well built and have reasonably good access for maintaining most systems.

Also, when it is time to buy, I highly recommend Peter Hunt as a surveyor. We used him on our Catalina 310. He was great. Took the entire day and wouldn't leave until we were comfortable with the various system and explained everything from basic diesel maintenance (had a small out board on our last boat) to making sure we knew how to operate the radar.

Which ever way you go, good luck. Hope to see you on the water this spring.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
Old 12-21-2010

SuenosAzules is on a distinguished road
For the record, my son grew up on a Gemini 105Mc for the first four years of his life and socializes just fine. There are no social norms he is kept from. I think actually raising kids on a boat gives them a better look at the world rather than letting them watch t.v. or play video games for hours a day. Aside from that... I would say a Gemini 105Mc or a Used Leopard are good starter boats for living aboard. They are relatively inexpensive and safe to sail on. I have an article on my website about living aboard based on my own experience for anyone pondering the idea. It is at Suenos Azules dot com. Fair winds...
Old 12-21-2010

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
As far as the boat, I would not be so quick to rule out Catalinas. While they are not typically the potential blue water boat that you may want, you can get a lot more boat for the money
I'd second that. Catalinas are great boats. I also would not worry too much about the blue water part. The reality is that the vast majority of people with sail boats do not use them in a truly blue water fashion. The reality is the a very few cross an ocean. Very few.

I recommend buying the boat that suits you now. Your needs will definitely change as your experience and the children grow. Your opinion of what you need will also change. Guaranteed. As the father of a 16 year old daughter who has been on the water since 3 mos, I speak from experience.

Stuffing 4 people on a 40' monohull during a New England winter is ...... challenging.

Last edited by Sabreman; 12-21-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-21-2010

lawdawg is on a distinguished road
Might want to check out this thread--
What we (CD & Family) Look for in a boat
Cruisingdad is a great source of info, as are so many on here, best of luck
And I'd have to agree, Catalina sounds like a great fit for your current plans