Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2010

2HTP is on a distinguished road
Best blue-water boat for less than 30k?

OK, the thread title was meant to get the salty forum regulars a little spun up. Not looking for a blue-water boat per se, more a pocket ocean racer.

I'm shopping for a boat with the following characteristics:

Sub-30', sub $30k
Decent light-air performance
Planes off the wind in a blow
Dinghy-like day sailing
Trailerable would be a bonus for recovery from point-point races
Crew of 4-5 optimal, but does well short-handed
Located on the West Coast

Uses will be:
Round-the-buoys racer/cruiser in light-air venue
PNW distance races: Offshore, Swiftsure, Vic-Maui
Day-sailing and overnights

The Express 27 is at the top of my list. The quality of construction is lovely, and from what I've heard they've a well-balanced helm and are quite stable off the wind. The Santa Cruz 27 is 2nd, there's a building OD fleet a few hours north of me, but for most attributes I find myself preferring the Express.

Other boats I've considered:
Olson 29/30 & Hobie 33 - prefer the smaller size, sail areas, loads of the 27'ers
B-25 & Moore 24 - too small
Synergy 1000 - rare, possibly outside of my price range

Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
A bit small for the Vic-Maui race. Victoria to Maui on a 27' boat with a crew of 4?
Old 12-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
First, you do need to define trailerable. A Norsea 27 is trailerable, but you still need a travel lift to launch or haul it generally...it does fit on a trailer and can be stored on one and hauled around if you've got a large enough tow vehicle.

Second, many, if not most, of the boats that will sail like a dinghy for daysailing and will get up on plane are not going to be suitable for a bluewater race like the Vic-Maui.

Third, for your budget, most of the larger boats, say 28-30', you would be looking at are going to be in pretty rough shape. They'll need a fair bit of work and generally it will be FAR LESS EXPENSIVE to buy the exact same boat in good condition than it is going to be to buy the boat and refurbish it to good condition.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-15-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Doesn't the Vic Maui have a minimum length of 35?... could be my recollection is off...

Kirby 30 might fit the bill,

View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com

In Vancouver right now there's a 30'version of a Martin 242 for sale.. well-built coldmolded and goes well, but it's a one-off.

View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com

O29 would be marginal for any kind of cruising.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-15-2010

COOL is on a distinguished road
The Antrim 27 fits your requirements,
other than they generally sell for a bit
more than $30K. They have done a few
Pac Cups.
A Laser 28 may be a good option.
The Express 27 is a great boat, but
does not love light air.
You might keep an eye out for a Tripp 26.
Slightly smaller, but with more accomodation
than a Moore or B25, an Olson 25 is a great
little boat.
Old 12-15-2010

Faster
I looked at the Vic Maui site and couldn't find a min size listed but I would have thought 35 as well.
Old 12-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Considering the Notice of Race says:

Quote:
Yachts 8.5m (28 ft) and over, constructed 1/95 and after; shall have two exits. One exit shall be located forward of the foremost mast except where structural features prevent its installation.
and has several references to boats under 28' LOA, I would guess that there isn't a minimum length for entrants.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-15-2010

2HTP is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the replies.

I thought the Vic-Maui had similar requirements to the Transpac and Pacific Cup, but they seem to be a bit more conservative in Canada. Wasn't aware of the 4-crew requirement. Also inboard propulsion is required. I guess that race won't be my first trip to Hawaii.

So "trailerable" will be essential, as I'll need to move it to and from S.F. SD: by trailerable, I mean under 13' tall on the trailer, <102" beam, under 3 tons with trailer and gear, hoist-launched. And I'm not looking for a project, but don't think I'm going to need to settle for one at $30k. Keep in mind, the boats I'm shopping for don't include a lot of teak furniture and plumbing/electrical down below.

The Antrim is a compelling boat, but yeah, out of my price range. Will look into the Tripp, Laser, Kirby and the O25. Great recommendations.

I've heard other comments that the Express doesn't like light air. Is that just relative to the SC27? For the around-the-cans stuff, I'll be racing PHRF against mostly heavier 30-35' racer cruisers (S29.1, J35, C&C34...). Unless they stick me in the sportboat fleet, against M24's and FT10s. Then it won't really matter.

Faster, I think I've seen that Martin listed for over a year now. A curious boat. You know what the story is?
Old 12-15-2010

It is still mainly a big boat race. In 2008 the smallest were a Tartan Ten (33') and a Pretorien 35 and the other boats were 40' or larger,
Old 12-15-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2HTP View Post
Faster, I think I've seen that Martin listed for over a year now. A curious boat. You know what the story is?
This boat was a one-off built for a client that wanted a 'big' M242. It was built by Tuulos Boat works, a well known local cold molded builder. It really is a stretched 242 (a great little boat for banging around the buoys, btw) Originally called 'Knockout' she had a pretty high powered rig and, while a handful showed a lot of speed. She's since been sold a time or two, currently called 'Scimitar' and the rig has been downsized to something a bit more manageable. The interior is quite basic, IIRC.

She has been for sale for some time... and may be ripe for an serious offer. Obviously if you're looking for one-design action, though, this won't do.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)