Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2010
Beneteau 411

prroots is on a distinguished road
Sabre 34-2s vs Call 33-2

I missed a chance to purchase the only available Sabre 34-2 CB in my price range and am now looking at a Cal 33. Both are mid to late 80's vintage. I'm looking for a respectable performance cruiser in the 32-35 foot range with draft less than 5 feet capable of going offshore. I would appreciate comments comparing these two boats or even suggestions on other boats meeting my criteria. Our immediate plans are to sail her from FL to Puerto Rico and then cruise Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. She would be moored in Puerto Rico. All else being equal, i prefer the sleek euro style such as you find with a Wauquiez. Basically, we're looking for a miniature Hood 38. Thanks
Pete
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by prroots View Post
I missed a chance to purchase the only available Sabre 34-2 CB in my price range and am now looking at a Cal 33. Both are mid to late 80's vintage. I'm looking for a respectable performance cruiser in the 32-35 foot range with draft less than 5 feet capable of going offshore. I would appreciate comments comparing these two boats or even suggestions on other boats meeting my criteria. Our immediate plans are to sail her from FL to Puerto Rico and then cruise Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. She would be moored in Puerto Rico. All else being equal, i prefer the sleek euro style such as you find with a Wauquiez. Basically, we're looking for a miniature Hood 38. Thanks
Pete
I know Cal's are considered pretty good sailors, but don't know much else about them or their suitablity for handling your defintion of "offshore". If offshore is not much more than what's described in your immediate plans then "offshore" falls into what many would consider coastal crusing. If you plans are that passages would be 3-5 days duration and you could choose your weather window within your comfort level (which is likely to be well within the limits the boat) then a properly equipped Cal or Sabre will likely be a suitable choice.

You didn't mention your price range but if you have an affinity for Wauquiez and want a boat in the 33-35' range have you considered the Pretorian 35? Its built to a standard that most would consider a true bluewater Ocean crosser.
Old 12-22-2010

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Cal made a great boat, but I would not consider it in the same class as a Sabre. The Sabre 34 is a great boat and I would wait until one became available. There is a reason why so few are available.

This one looks good. With some work, could be really nice. Price is in line with most Sabres. BTW - If the price is a bit higher than your price range, keep in mind the the delta between your ideal price and the purchase price amortized over 10 or 15 years of ownership is miniscule. Sabres hold their value very very well.

1987 Sabre 34 MKII Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 12-22-2010

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hey,

I'm not an expert and you didn't give a price range, but a few boats I think you should consider (it's easy for me to spend your money) are:

C&C Landfall 35
Tartan 33 or 34
CS 33

Good luck,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-22-2010

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
I own a Cal 33-2 shoal draft. I also looked at the Sabre 34-2 when looking and am very happy with my choice. I found the quality of the two boats pretty comparable (sorry Sabreman). The Cal shoal version sails very well - goes to weather well and not tender at all. And no centerboard to deal with like the Sabre 34-2. I like the interior layout of the Cal better than the Sabre. Better engine access and a true double quarter berth with privacy curtain (no aft coffin!). Either would be suitable for what you propose. At 20+ years old, condition is everything. That should drive your choice.
Old 12-23-2010
Beneteau 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
You didn't mention your price range but if you have an affinity for Wauquiez and want a boat in the 33-35' range have you considered the Pretorian 35? Its built to a standard that most would consider a true bluewater Ocean crosser.
Thanks. The only shoal draft Wauquiez of which I'm aware is the Hood 38. We're not prepared to give up on our shoal draft criteria much as we like the looks and quality construction of Wauquiez.
Old 12-23-2010
Beneteau 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
The Sabre 34 is a great boat and I would wait until one became available. There is a reason why so few are available.

This one looks good. With some work, could be really nice. Price is in line with most Sabres.

1987 Sabre 34 MKII Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Thanks. We corresponded with the broker and unfortunately, it's a fixed keel with 6 foot draft.

Wait for one to become available you say. That hurts! We've even started considering the Sabre 36CB and 36WK. BTW, what's the difference between a Sabre 36 and 362; just curious since the 262's are well out of our price range. Also, would a Sabre 36 be as good as a Sabre 34-2 in most respects?
Pete

Last edited by prroots; 12-23-2010 at 06:20 AM.
Old 12-23-2010
Beneteau 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
If offshore is not much more than what's described in your immediate plans then "offshore" falls into what many would consider coastal crusing. If you plans are that passages would be 3-5 days duration and you could choose your weather window within your comfort level (which is likely to be well within the limits the boat) then a properly equipped Cal or Sabre will likely be a suitable choice.
We've made the passage direct from FL to Puerto Rico; It's about a 1000 nm as the crow flies and well beyond the ability to estimate a weather window. Of course we could do the trip via the Bahamas, T&C, and Dominican Republic which may be what you are referring to. We've done that before too, but with waiting for weather windows at each step one must figure on months not days to make the trip!
Pete

Last edited by prroots; 12-23-2010 at 06:16 AM.
Old 12-23-2010

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
BTW, what's the difference between a Sabre 36 and 362
The 36 is an older model and the 362 is a more modern design. Similar to what they are now producing, only smaller. The difference came about after the company briefly went bankrupt sometime in the 1990's (ish). The new line has somewhat more powerful aft sections and more current styling. With that said, Sabre is known for a rather classic styling that to me, hold it's looks over time. if you contact Sabre, they can provide details.

The 36 is a very nice boat. We briefly considered one but at the time. There was only 1 available but it needed a lot of work. We were actually looking for a 34 but fell into our 38 through a wonderful broker at Annapolis Yacht Sales (Dan Nardo). In all my searches, I somehow missed our 38 (and a 34). I'd give Dan a call; AYC is a real class outfit and the brokerage fee is well worth it IMO. PM me if you desire details.

BTW - IMO, For the most part, the buyer seldom realizes the savings that they think that they are getting when making a private purchase. The seller isn't using a broker because they want to keep all or most of the money that they'd pay to a broker. It's so difficult to compare boat prices for boats due to age, condition, and equipment, that there is no way to really know if the seller is passing all or even some of the brokerage savings. I say this because I am really positive toward brokers except for small vessels, one designs, or large volume production boats (Catalina, Bene, etc).
Old 12-23-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
I would second Sabremans evaluation of Of Dan Nardo at AYS. He got us hooked up into our C&C 35 MKIII. Professional outfit and he truly works for you as the buyer.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner