SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

1980 Gib Sea 41

6K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  nickansc 
#1 ·
We're about to view a 1980 Gib Sea 41 with the aim of blue water cruising. Despite hours of searching the internet we've uncovered very little information on the earlier Gib Sea designs (the company was bought by Dufour more recently). Does anyone know anything about these vessels? Are they suitable for blue water cruising? Anything significant we should keep in mind when viewing?

Thanks for your help and seasons greetings to you all!

#2 ·
Nick

Where are you located? Where is the boat?

I have looked at a Gib Sea ketch that was in Nanaimo years ago. The foundation appeared good, but it was going to take a lot of upgrading to get to where I would like it.

Some comments seem to place them below Dufour in build quality. That is not a good thing.

#4 ·
Update: we bought her!

She's needed some modernising, but then most 30 year old boats will do. After 8 months and roughly 1500 miles in various weather she handles well and enjoys the bigger seas (certainly more than me at least!). Accomodation is comfortable with tasteful wood work rather than the plastics and lino so common in modern boats. Hull is a decent thickness so she's stable and the rounded design of the hull forward means she doesn't slam into waves like flatter nosed boats are prone to.

All in all a decent boat compared with others available at a similar price and certainly very comfortable for long-term cruising.

#6 ·
Hi,

Sorry for the slow reply. Yes we still own her, although she is now on the market in Europe as we have finished our travels returning to work to save for the next adventure!

She was built by Gibert Marine and ours was upgraded by Technicoque. I also didn't find a lot of info but have some in hard copy, I'd scan you a copy but it's in a container on a ship right now!

Lovely boats, light and airy saloon and the aft cabin is very pleasant compared with the production boats today with their coffin berths, this was important for us as we were living on her for nearly two years. Ours sails nicely, we've had her out in up to 35 knots and she sails well even in lighter airs and with our mountains of kit and with half a tonne of water on board!

Is there anything specific you would like to know? Send me your email by PM if you'd like to chat more, I tried messaging you that way but cr*ppy Sailnet says I can only PM if I've posted more than X times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.