Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2003

mimi robin is on a distinguished road
Lippincott 30 - Info wanted - PLEASE

My husband and I are looking at a 83 Lippincott 30 to buy. We''ve been trying to get any info we can about Lippincotts. We know they were biult in Riverton, NJ and are no longer in production. We''ve read about 2 opiniions (that''s about all we can find!) Can anyone give me something that helps us make a decision?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2003

stm is on a distinguished road

I know there is a Lippencott Marine on Kent Island Maryland. I think the town would be Stevensville and I know they are somehow related to the firm that build these boats.
Old 06-08-2003

facabrut is on a distinguished road

Hello,
I saw your request & thought that I would respond.
I purchased an 81 Lippincott 30 three years ago at Willis Marine, Huntington, N.Y. It is a fully equipped beauty, and I am very pleased with it.
There was one advertised on ebay, moored near Port Chester, N.Y. @ $14,000, last fall. I almost bought for resale, until I looked it over. It
was a derelict, with a bad knock in the engine.
There was a brand new Lippincott 30 (never in the water) at a boat yard in Riverton, N.J. I inquired about it, and the asking price was $30,000 last fall. there are also two Lippincotts docked there in beautiful condition (Maybe the owners would sell if the price is right).

Skip Lippincott is no longer in the boat building business. He currently owns a Canvas Shop in Riverton, N.J. He helped me with technical information when I bought my boat, and later sold me a bimini for it.
His phone # is (856) 764-8282.
Also, I saw one for sale in "Soundings" last month @ around $28,000 in the Chesapeake Bay area.
A lot of them were sold from dealers around
the Chesapeake, also from Coney''s Marine, Huntington, N.Y.
I am interested in forming a Lippincott 30 Owner''s Association. Please let me know if you buy one, and if you are interested in helping locate other owners.
Sincerely,
John
Old 06-08-2003

facabrut is on a distinguished road

Hello,
I saw your request & thought that I would respond.
I purchased an 81 Lippincott 30, three years ago at Willis Marine, Huntington, N.Y. It is a fully equipped beauty, and I am very pleased with it.
There was one advertised on ebay, moored near Port Chester, N.Y. @ $14,000, last fall. I almost bought for resale, until I looked it over. It
was a derelict, with a bad knock in the engine.
There was a brand new Lippincott 30 (never in the water) at a boat yard in Riverton, N.J. I inquired about it, and the asking price was $30,000 last fall. there are also two Lippincotts docked there in beautiful condition (Maybe the owners would sell if the price is right).

Skip Lippincott is no longer in the boat building business. He currently owns a Canvas Shop in Riverton, N.J. He helped me with technical information when I bought my boat, and later sold me a bimini for it.
His phone # is (856) 764-8282.
Also, I saw one for sale in "Soundings" last month @ around $28,000 in the Chesapeake Bay area.
A lot of them were sold from dealers around
the Chesapeake, also from Coney''s Marine, Huntington, N.Y.
I am interested in forming a Lippincott 30 Owner''s Association. Please let me know if you buy one, and if you are interested in helping locate other owners.
Sincerely,
John
Old 01-14-2007

lharmon is on a distinguished road
I have a Lippincott 30 a 1981 I believe. I would like to find out about the never lauched hull in Rivertoon NJ. It is a GREAT boat. I would consider purchasing it just to get dry decks, etc. Ours sails stiff due to ballast vs displacement and fast. She points very high. 4000# balllast for a 8600# displacement. The D/L is 246 and the SA/D is 17.3 so it has good power.

We wish they had made a lot of 36's. I understand there were only two. As usual a slightly bigger boat would be nice. Dickerson's are a similar or the same hull.

I seem to remember an article by Tucker Thompson in some mag about a cruise in an L-30. Goggle it for another view.

The Lippincotts produced a great boat consistent to the technology of the time. The fit/finish on ours is still beautiful. On older ones you need to be realistic on the upgrades that may be necessary.

First is the wiring and the electrical systems in general. Small Yanmars, 2 batteries, limited circuits. Consider boosting your storage with say two batteries on your house bank and keep a third for starting. At 20-30 years, you may want to rewire the boat as well. Using more efficient nav and interior lighting will greatly extend your usage as well. More storage capacity should be augmented with a bigger alternator and appropriate charge controllers.

The holding tank is joke for anything other than a daysail. Some of the space under the V-berth can be used for a larger holding tank. Water is in Fiberglass tanks under the settes. It's enough for about a week for our family, but we drink from bottled water we carry aboard.

The sail controls may not have been modified. You should invest some time/money and effort into a rig survey for both the standing rigging and also to learn about optios for sail control/reefing. Original winches were non self-tailing. That alone is a great but expensive upgrade.

The engine on our boat is more than adequate. Our's is a 15 hp 2GM (2 cilinder) Yanmar. The fuel tank is small - 10 - 12 gallons. I recommend a larger tank. Plenty of room to add one. The cockpit lazarettes are huge and allow access to the fuel tank. Our prop is a two blade and I have not wanted to make a change because the performance and handling are more than adequate to great.

This boat would not be a good dockominium. But it makes a terrific low cost fast stable fun cruising boat. For us it is a great starter boat for our young family to get used to cruising on.

LH
Old 10-03-2009

4arch is on a distinguished road
I recently had an offer accepted on a Lippincott 30. She'll be surveyed a week from Monday and I'm just keeping my fingers crossed now that all will go well!

I looked at a number of other comparable boats but found the build quality, sailing characteristics, and interior appointments of the L30 superior to other production boats of the same vintage. The interior feels like those of larger, higher end boats and the designers really seem to have thought of little places for everything.

The main weakness I've noted so far is that the stove is set into the counter rather than being gimbaled and that cockpit seat behind the wheel is only about 8" wide. I don't think the stove is going to be a major issue and I'll really have to wait and see how I feel most comfortable steering before I decide to do any mods to the cockpit.

My plan (well, our plan) is to cruise the Chesapeake extensively and perhaps do some of the overnight bay races. I may even eventually move into weekday evening PHRF racing, but that remains to be seen. I have a feeling the L30 will be an excellent cruising boat and an adequate racing boat.

She only comes with a main and a 150 genoa so I'd eventually want to get a working jib or perhaps a 135 that could be roller reefed down to 110ish. I would have liked to have purchased a boat with a stronger sail inventory, but in the end this boat was so well maintained and otherwise well equipped that it was worth the trade off.

All in all I'm very excited! If the survey works out I'll share my experiences and with any luck might be able to reconnect with some of the other L30 owners out there.
Old 10-19-2009

4arch is on a distinguished road
Well the boat mentioned in the post above officially became ours as of Sunday!

The survey turned out very good. The biggest issues found were that there was an extreme amount of bottom paint buildup on the bottom and the keel will need refairing. I think for next season I'll just throw on some cheap bottom paint and let it slide one more year until we can save up to have the bottom soda blasted. After reading up on various ways of removing bottom paint, I think I'd rather pay to have her bottom blasted than trying to sand or use chemical strippers myself. Maybe if I find someone at the yard who can fair out the rough spots in the paint without going down to gelcoat I'll take them up on it, but I'll wait and see.

Other than that, the chainplates and stanchions are going to need some rebedding but that's to be expected on a boat of that age. There aren't any major leaks so I figure it's a project I can chip away at somewhat slowly.

Long range I'd like to improve the sail inventory both with a 110 working jib and a spinnaker. I haven't decided whether I'd want asymmetrical or poled, but I'll wait and see how she performs and how much racing I find I actually want to do.
Old 02-04-2010
andrea

acdc is on a distinguished road
Can anyone tell me were you fill the water tank on this boat?
Also any manuals,for plumbing and electric?
Thankyou Andrea
Old 02-04-2010
andrea

Lippincott 30

Hi, were do I look for info on this boat?
Thanks Andrea
Old 02-04-2010
andrea

lippincott 30

Hi,anybody own a lippincott 30 in Rhode Island?
thanks Andrea

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.