Island Packet 35 - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 Old 01-01-2011

You can also charter an IP from here:
Island Yachts U.S. Virgin Islands - Charter Vacations

No affiliation, but we'll be giving them a try to escape New England weather.

We've owned 5 boats over the last 20+ years from full keel's to whale bottom center boarders. As others have stated, our advice would be to think about how you like to use your boat, then pick a design that matches the application.
We've also found that the ideal boat for us changed over time, depending on where we wanted to cruise, where we wanted to moor, how many people we wanted to cruise with, etc. Whatever you do, it's unlikely to be your last boat.
We've had 5 LAST boats so far
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 10-31-2012

Re: Island Packet 35

I fully realize that this is an OLD thread.

However, I'd be very interested in hearing from some current (and former) owners of Island Packet 35's.

Do YOU concur with Jeff's evaluation that the IP 35 is mainly suited for boaters not interested in sailing and that, in fact, they sail poorly in heavy going. Are they REALLY so slow that, in your experience, you had to motorsail in order to get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time?

[/SIGPIC]Dave
Sailing out of Seward, Alaska

"Fight the good fight, holding on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked thier faith"
post #13 of 16 Old 04-13-2015

I have an Island Packet 35 (1989) for over 26 years and have 1700 hours on the engine (original engine). I USE my boat and while I do have to occasionally motor sail I spend most of my time sailing. I live on the Chesapeake and the wind are typically on the 5-15 kt. range. This has been an excellent boat in all waters (Florida, Bahamas, Bermuda, Chesapeake). The best improvement for speed has been the installation of a feathering prop; it improved my light air performance significantly. She doesn't point as high as I would like (full keel) but she gets me there; safely!
post #14 of 16 Old 04-13-2015

Nobody has mentioned looks. Too boxy for my tastes. And I, too, would need a boat that pointed higher and was generally faster.
post #15 of 16 Old 04-13-2015

I like my IP ...12 knots it's fine but when all other boats are heading for cover in 25 knots I'm still wondering if I should put the first reef in...there's nothing like it...
post #16 of 16 Old 04-13-2015
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBreeze17 View Post
Tommays,

If the IP "points" 10-15 degrees worse than a typical wing keel boat (and that is a big IF as I don't have any experience with an IP), and has 5-10 degrees less leeway, then the COG difference may be minimal.

Southern Breeze
Well that is the biggest problem, they not only point poorly but also make more leeway due to the shoal keel, so it is a double whammy.

I like the look of the boats, and they have a lot of well laid out space below. But that layout also provides some serious issues. The cabinetry makes it very hard to inspect things like chain plates, and on top of that the chain plates are embedded in the hull, so even if you can get to them you can't inspect them without cutting them out. Embedding them is really more of a cost cutting measure than anything else. I am not fond of other build techniques that are not really appropriate in a boat of the price.

But they would be one of the first boats to accept an invitation for a drink on, nice comfortable interior for sure. If you really need shoal draft, it is an option, but for me there is just too much compromise on performance and I am not a racer by any stretch of the term.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.