Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2011
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Well there you have it.
Jeff_H is one of the most respected members here with a broad knowledge of vessel construction and sailing characteristics. He does not hand out praise easily.
There was a great old gent here named Robert Gainer who had a T34 that he was prepping for a trans Atlantic journey. He never got to take that journey though and died a few years ago in his late 50's. There is at least one book about or by him on Amazon.com. He sailed a 20 something foot boat to England when he was in his 20's. There are many other stories of course. He had faith in his T34 or was it a T37?
Robert Gainer was a great guy. He also had a T34-C at the time he passed.
Old 01-07-2011

VTSailor12 is on a distinguished road
T34C Opinions

I would echo the comments of the owner of Maeven. Cored decks are an issue with any boat of this age. I have a late model (hull number #519) and highly recommend the boat, particularly for the shallows. Note that the centerboard is held in both directions by the cable which means you will snap the cable if you bump. It sails fine with it up except on a beat and I suspect you will keep it raised much of the time where you are. T34C owners baby their engines because it's so easy. You will love the access and the heat is not terrible, but you will feel it after extended motoring. Use the exhaust blower. Or just sail. The chainplates of the T34C (at least late models) are very simple compared to later model Tartans and should not be an issue. But these boats are old and many have lived 35+ years in salt. As with any fitting, if you can spot rust, pull it and check. Buy it and have a ball. Bob
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2011

VTSailor12 is on a distinguished road
T34C muffler/standpipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C View Post
Replacement mufflers are no longer available, but there are ways around it.
This may be off topic, but I would love to hear your "ways around" replacing the original T34C rubber muffler. I haven't seen a solution on the T34 owners site but it is great to see that Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Engine Rebuilding and Parts now sells a stainless replacement for the original copper stand pipe.
Old 01-08-2011
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSailor12 View Post
This may be off topic, but I would love to hear your "ways around" replacing the original T34C rubber muffler. I haven't seen a solution on the T34 owners site but it is great to see that Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Engine Rebuilding and Parts now sells a stainless replacement for the original copper stand pipe.
After mine went out, another owner that had recently repowered was nice enough to send me his old rubber muffler. While doing the research on replacements, the general theory I got from other was to just get rid of the muffler and install a section of rubber exhaust hose in its place.
Old 01-17-2011

boomvangdc is on a distinguished road
This article mentions a few other areas of concern for a Tartan 34: What Is The Best 25 to 35-foot Cruising Boat For Under $15,000? | Daily Sailing News from North American Sailor.