SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Need Tartan 34C opinions please

35K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  NavySnipe 
#1 ·
I have finally found a beautiful Tartan 34C that is within the budget. I would appriciate any pearls of wisdom any owners can share.
I plan to cruise the upper Chesapeake.
Are there any concerns one should be aware of when looking at this model?
My main intial concern is that while the engine placement gives great access, I worry that it would also cause the below decks to heat up in the summer when I will be using her. The Bay is noted for hot windless summers. In Maine I would not be as concerned.
Thanks for sharing all your experience.

#3 ·
The Tartan 34C is capable of crossing oceans if you are up to it and your boat is prepared. Cruising the upper Chessy in a T34C should be a blast. The center board will allow you get into many shallow anchorages that deeper keels will not permit.
Potential issues with this boat:
- chain plates; these can go bad and need to be re-done
- standing rigging; if it is old it may need to be replaced
- center board pennant; this is important, especially on the shallow Chessy. If the lowering/raising mechanism fails you may not be able to get back to your home port.
- engine; has it been replaced or is it still an Atomic 3 or 4?
- sails; new or needing new canvas?

TARTAN 34 C Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com

Disclaimer: I have never been on a T34C but I am a Tartan 27' owner from the same era (1967) and I like the build quality that Tartan put into their boats. I like to think that the T34 is the larger cousin to my own boat which also has a center board and garnered Tartan a niche in the retail market as the 'Cadillac' of sailboats in their time.

#7 · (Edited)
The engine location is fantastic for easy access and causes no issues with heat. If you are concerned about heat, you can always add extra insulation around the inside of the dog house. All of these boats came with a bilge blower that could be used to pull any excess heat out of the cabin while the engine is running if you find it is an issue and if the blower is still there. (Yes, diesel powered boats came with it too for some reason.) The engine location also provides for a huge storage space below the cockpit sole. My boat has the hot water tank and engine batt. located there along with additional storage space. Only problem with the engine location is walking around it while someone is in the galley trying to cook. Its a minor inconvenience.

Only real areas of concern would be to check the foredeck for any gelcoat cracks and/or delamination issues, particularly around the the forward edge of the coach roof and around the pulpit. The CB pivot pin can be an issue, but many - most of these boats have likely had it replaced already. Check to see if it has been done. If not it will likely need it in the not too distant future. Not a huge job, but a bit of a pain in the back side. inside CB controls are easy to fix if there are any issues. CB drooping below the trunk is a very common problem, but I have found it is easy to fix with some minor adjustments on the cable/winch. Lower rudder bearing is reported by some owners to need replacing, but I haven't had any issues with it. Check the rubber exhaust muffler that is located under the chart table. They are getting old and can fail allowing exhaust and cooling water to dump into the boat. Replacement mufflers are no longer available, but there are ways around it.

There are still quite a few parts available from Tartan if needed.

Other than that just look for the usual old boat issues mentioned above regarding the rig.

#13 ·
T34C muffler/standpipe

Replacement mufflers are no longer available, but there are ways around it.
This may be off topic, but I would love to hear your "ways around" replacing the original T34C rubber muffler. I haven't seen a solution on the T34 owners site but it is great to see that Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Engine Rebuilding and Parts now sells a stainless replacement for the original copper stand pipe.

#8 ·
The Tartan 34 is one of my favorite boats of this size from this period. For that era, it was a great mix of decent accommodations, good performance, moderately shoal draft, and good construction.

Obviously their performance won't match a more modern design, but they still are pretty lively sailors.

I don't think that the Tartan 34 engine position is any worse than any other 34 footer in terms radiating heat into the cabin. At best, you can buy the foil faced engine room insulation which makes some difference in terms of heat and noise. I can't recall whether the C has a vee-drive but vee drives can be a pain in the butt.

Jeff

#9 ·
Well there you have it.
Jeff_H is one of the most respected members here with a broad knowledge of vessel construction and sailing characteristics. He does not hand out praise easily.
There was a great old gent here named Robert Gainer who had a T34 that he was prepping for a trans Atlantic journey. He never got to take that journey though and died a few years ago in his late 50's. There is at least one book about or by him on Amazon.com. He sailed a 20 something foot boat to England when he was in his 20's. There are many other stories of course. He had faith in his T34 or was it a T37?

#10 · (Edited)
We have a later model Tartan 34-2 (1985) purchased 2009

chain plates; these can go bad and need to be re-done
Did it...and it turned out to be a PITA of a job since the '85 only has access to the chain plate by crawling through the lazarette.

Also have cut a lot of wet balsa and replaced with fiberglass around the partners.

But all said we really love the boat :) . Tons of older generation Tartans here on the southern shore of Lake Erie. The early models have much respect from the sailing community.

#12 ·
T34C Opinions

I would echo the comments of the owner of Maeven. Cored decks are an issue with any boat of this age. I have a late model (hull number #519) and highly recommend the boat, particularly for the shallows. Note that the centerboard is held in both directions by the cable which means you will snap the cable if you bump. It sails fine with it up except on a beat and I suspect you will keep it raised much of the time where you are. T34C owners baby their engines because it's so easy. You will love the access and the heat is not terrible, but you will feel it after extended motoring. Use the exhaust blower. Or just sail. The chainplates of the T34C (at least late models) are very simple compared to later model Tartans and should not be an issue. But these boats are old and many have lived 35+ years in salt. As with any fitting, if you can spot rust, pull it and check. Buy it and have a ball. Bob

#16 ·
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would put my question here so information on this boat can be found in one place. I am thinking of buying one built in 1968. I am use to sailing a Cal33 and Pearson36, which are both club boats. I believe the waterline on the Cal is 28.5 feet, which is adequate for me. My concern is the waterline of the Tartan 34 which is only 25 feet. Will I notice a decrease in performance (speed) with the T34? The seller said under power the boat can easily exceed 6 knots, which is adequate for me. Does this sound right? And is the water line extended when heeling and if so does that make a difference in performance?

#29 · (Edited)
It has reported by some that the Tartan 34c will in fact run 6.3 kts on the Atomic Four even with its small prop. One such report I got was from an owner using a two blade folding prop. There is nothing wrong with the Atomic Four that a freshwater cooling system, electric fuel pump and electronic ignition won't improve on. Most are raw water cooled but somehow still manage to run 30 years without an overhaul. The low compression is gentle on cylinder wear and most rebuilt with minor honing of the bores and no over-boring. One factor in raw water cooling is that corrion can force the head gasket at the water port from the block to the head. This is a PITA because it means a mill job on the head or block deck and then shimming the head to keep the compression in spec. Moyer sells these copper head gasket shims. These engines today new with aftermarket blocks can run as much or more than a diesel replacement. I understand all the reasons for the preferrence out here for diesels, but most of those reasons fall short when one is replacing an Atomic Four. The resale value factor falls far short when you consider the cost of the replacement and the actual price value increae when later selling the boat. I myself would find it very hard to reconcile replacing the Atomic Four with a diesel in a Tartan 34c. The last overhaul I was apprised of for one of these engines was quoted at 8K by a boat yard. The owner did it easily himself with guidance from Moyer Marine for 800 dollars. Yes, you read that correctly. I have never heard of a crank being replaced on these engines either. In fact that is one part that is so plentiful now that you can grab one for a song. One word of warning though; These engines have no center crank shaft bearing and do NOT take well to "performance" modifications at all. If you want to see how much one of these truly remarkable marine engines is going for Moyer Marine is the place to go. You will think twice about throwing these engines away once you see the pricing on them.

#17 · (Edited)
http://www.sparkmanstephens.info/doc/37944PvCf88p9RRw6yzvasCcIaGK6bvY.pdf

I love the S&S designed T34C. It's a CCA boat, so they all sail faster with a longer waterline when heeled. I doubt you will feel slow. It's got a PHRF of 174, so it's a bit slower than the P36, and a touch faster than the P35, most likely due to the skeg rudder and the finer entry. It's a CCA boat, so the accomdations are smaller than the new breeds, but I bet you'd be happy. Nice boats, particularly pre72.
Best.

Reactions: Slayer
#18 · (Edited)
http://www.sparkmanstephens.info/doc/37944PvCf88p9RRw6yzvasCcIaGK6bvY.pdf

I love the S&S designed T34C. It's a CCA boat, do they all sail faster with a longer waterline when heeled. I doubt you will feel slow. It's got a PHRF of 174, so it's a bit slower than the P36, and a touch faster than the P35, most likely due to the skeg rudder and the finer entry. It's a CCA boat, so the accomdations are smaller than the new breeds, but I bet you'd be happy. Nice boats, particularly pre72.
Best.
Oh- and I've had my P35 over 6 in both power and sail. So if the T34C is faster, should do the same or better.

#19 ·
Funny to see that I replied to this thread back in 2011.
By now I have had the chance to sail on a T34C in Long Island sound. I recall being impressed with the way the boat handled and sailed and I believe our top speed sailing was damn close to 7 knots if not a hair over.
That boat is on it's way to FL, TX and/or the Bahamas.

#22 ·
PHRF rating for NE is 144, so the Tartan is a bit slower. Probably not enough you'd notice. Biggest difference is probably in handling and coming through the wind where the Cal would be a bit more sprightly, and would most likely sail to windward a bit better as well.
Not nearly as pretty, IMO, however.

#26 ·
Keep in mind there are two Cal 33s. The later one built in the mid to late 80s (which I have) has a base PHRF rating of 132 in western LI Sound. The older one is rated slower. The later Cal 33 will be quite a bit quicker than the Tartan 34C. It has a tall double-spreader rig and does quite well in both light and heavier air.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.