Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2003

maestro is on a distinguished road
luger 30 ???

anyone have any comments about a Luger 30????
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
luger 30 ???

Lugers were kit boats that were widely advertised back in the 1970''s and early 80''s. As an owner finished boat I have seen all kinds of levels of fit and finish, on these boats. I have seen some very knowledgeable build outs, as well as, some very ill-advised corner cutting and non-regulation complying systems.

From a design standpoint these were boats concieved more from the standpoint of being the biggest posible trailerable than from actually being able to sail. Years ago I taught a couple to sail who had built one but who had never learned how to sail. They had bought a bunch of new sails and some pretty good gear but for all of my tweaking I found that this was a very poor sailing boat by any objective standard.

They had a lot of room down below but the Lugers that I have seen have had a pretty wide ranging variation in their interior layouts, again some were pretty clever but others were just plain silly.

The boat that I had taught the owners to sail had a beautifully built out interior. The fellow was a former furnature maker. His electical, rigging and plumbing work left something to be desired. Helping with changes to this boat, I thought that the factory glass work seemed pretty poor with poorly wet out and poorly adhered sections of glass.

In the end if the boat was cheap enough and you were concerned with lots of room and not too concerned with sailing ability and you found one that was reasonably built and maintained then this might be a reasonable choice. Otherwise run don''t walk the other way.

Jeff
Old 06-05-2003

maestro is on a distinguished road
luger 30 ???

thanks....that''s what I thought. I was looking at it for a friend and had the same opinion of them.
Old 05-09-2008

EldonKing is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Luger 30' Over extended

The Lugar 30 Sailboat was an attempt to extend the Lugar Line Limits, but proved to be their undoing. The vessel has a low profirmance Hull even for a cruiser, and while acconidations are somewhat compermised, the overall lack of forethought in the design of this vessel is very obvious. Dell you friends to save there money. This is not the one they want to own.
Old 05-09-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Eldon-

Chances are very likely if he hasn't told his friend not to buy the boat, they've already bought and sold it, since the thread you're responding to is almost FIVE YEARS OLD. Please check dates on threads before replying to them....and read the post in my signature to get the most out of your time on sailnet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.