SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

X-362 Sport - Steel Frame

7K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  tommays 
#1 ·
All,

I'm having some difficulty finding information on this maker and this model in particular (Maybe if I spoke Danish I'd have more luck). They seem to be well regarded generally with the major area of concern being the steel frame. Does anyone have any information on how well the galvanized steel frame laid into the glass on these boats (or other X-Yachts) has held up with time? Is it completely sealed in, or can it contact moisture in the bilge? Is there any way to survey the steel? Will it significantly impact electrolysis?

Other than the steel frame, the boat fits what I am looking for quite well, so I am keenly interested in your thoughts.

Thank you for your help.

#2 · (Edited)
It did NOT work out well for Cal 40 years ago on ANY of the many otherwise great boat they built

It boggles the mind that anybody would still do it

Beneteau uses it in some parts of the steering gear and any leaks result in a rusty mess

#4 ·
I have not personally heard of any issues with the few folks with X's in Puget Sound. The steel in the Cal vs the steel being used today in many of the European yachts with "steel" frames like X-Yacht does, seems to be a better quality stainless. I am not sure of what grade steel Cal used either.

There is a fellow that post regularly on AS forums that is into X yachts, I believe lives in Denmark or close by. He might be a better person to get an answer from frankly. Or some of the other European folks that have access to more boats to guage if the framework is a problem. For me personally, I would not worry a lot. If there was a real issue, I would feel you would find enough posts online or equal about the issue(s) of their, and others steel frame work. Which frankly, looks way different that the piece shown from the C40. That looks like a steel version of a wood frame I have on my boat.

marty

#5 ·
Marty,

Thanks for the post. I follow your logic. If I spent a lot of dough on a boat and the frame rusted out of it, I'd whine like crazy. As much as I've scoured the internet, I would think I'd have seen some of that. I'll check out sailing anarchy and see what I can find.

-Adam

#6 ·
You might find something on SA too, I was refering to AnythingSailing where I believe there is a fellow with an Xyacht to two in the past.

If one showed up in my slip in place of my Jeanneau.......I'd be a very happy camper. Especially an X34 or better yet, a 35. I do not know as much about the 362 you are looking at. I know a few locals with 119's, that luv them. Nice boats.

marty

#7 · (Edited)
A friend chartered an X-95 for a couple of years. The owner wasn't sailing it and couldn't get the price he wanted. Eventually after sustained neglect she broke away from her mooring and was wrecked.

When my friend had it the rust on the frame was exfoliating in bloody great sheets. The gate valve on the coolth through hull failed. On the otherhand it sailed smartly and the interior woodwork was quite good. It's been a lot of years since the X-95 was built. Maybe they've gotten better.

#8 ·
:)

None of the many bad ideas in boat building showed up till the boat was in the 20+ year old range

1. Teak Decks screwed into the core EVEN Swan did this at a massive cost to whoever got stuck with the boat late in its life

2. Plywood core decks again a good 25 years till the real issues show up

3.. Gaskets on Pearson stanchions

4.Steel on frames on the many different Cals that used it

5. I have seen badly rusted Steel steering parts on 10 year old Beneteaus

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.