Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2011

Ramin is on a distinguished road
Advice on 1984 Hunter 27

1984 27' Sloop Hunter Sailboat Diesel Daysailer - eBay (item 320644498856 end time Jan-24-11 12:47:48 PST)

Just wanting your advice on this boat. I would have to have iit transported to Kemah. Probably about $1200 on top of whatever I pay for the boat.

Any words of wisdom appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-20-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Looks good in the ad. I wouldn't buy or make an offer on a boat I hadn't seen personally though.
Tall rig with a shallow wing keel seems a bit strange to me - wouldn't you want a deep keel with the taller rig?
Old 01-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Looks good in the ad. I wouldn't buy or make an offer on a boat I hadn't seen personally though.
Tall rig with a shallow wing keel seems a bit strange to me - wouldn't you want a deep keel with the taller rig?
I don't know why for certain they would have the taller rig with the shoal wing keel, but I can only think that with our area having many shallow parts that possibly he got it that way to keep it from running aground and to try to still get the best performance he could out of it.

Am I right in thinking that the wing keel has the "wings on the bottom" That way it can have the hefty ballast and still run the shoal draft that we need here in the Kemah area? Just my thaughts. What do you think? Will it have a problem with the tall rig and shallow draft even with the extra ballast running in the wing keel? It doesn't have one now but if I get this boat I plan to put a spinnaker on it later.
Old 01-21-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
When the same boat is offered with deep and shallow draft the biggest difference with the shallow draft version is usually in pointing ability. Stability is usually not a real factor as the shallow draft versions usually have more ballast.
I don't think there is anything wrong with shallow draft/tall rig combinations but is seems a bit strange that one would want the performance oriented rig and the underbody with the lesser performance of the 2 versions.
Old 01-21-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
With the buy it now price at 4900 i would want a real good survey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
With the buy it now price at 4900 i would want a real good survey
I will get a survey done for sure. It is supposed to have new paint on the bottom and the mast and boom as of 09. The only problem I have really is having it moved to Kemah. Its about 3 hours from Lake Travis to Kemah. What do you recon the cost to move it will be total. I know they will have to lower the mast and trailer it, drive it here, then put the mast back up.

Any guesses on that? I wont hold you to it.
Old 01-21-2011

seafrontiersman is on a distinguished road
I only have experience with the Watkins 23 and it is a VERY rugged boat that is very forgiving and easy to sail, its tough to hurt her.

The Watkins were built in Florida and many of the designs emphasised the needs of vessels in the state; ie: shoal draft and the ability to survive groundings.
Old 01-21-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
There's a guy giving away a Hunter 27 on the SBO forums.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-21-2011

rayncyn51 is on a distinguished road
You would want a tall rig and shoal draft, I imagine, for shallow water and light air. Common Chesapeake conditions, and a reasonable compromize if performance is not your goal, but sailing in August is.
Old 01-21-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I also think that the 'tall rig' with the 'shoal draft' wing keel is a bit odd. I also doubt that the boat weighs 7000 #'s as claimed in the ebay add and sailboatdata.com seems to confirm this:
HUNTER 27 WK Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com
More like 5 to 6,000 lbs.
I'm also not really a big fan of winged keels. Why? I've run aground enough times on various boats and always been able to get off the grounding - except on a winged keel boat (O'Day 272) in an ebbing tide. With a winged keel you can't even try heeling the boat over to one side as the 'wings' will just dig themselves in deeper. On the O'Day 272 we waited for the tide to roll out and back in while the boat stood on the beach on its winged keel. This may be less of an issue on the TX Gulf coast where I don't think you get much in the way of regular tidal range - where we sailed the 272 the tidal range was 8' like clockwork (LI Sound).
The cost for moving it will add somewhere up to $2K I'd guess. There must be a whole bunch of 27' boats in Kemah for sale. Besides, Lake Travis is where smackdaddy keeps his Catalina 27 so this one has probably made contact with the SmackTanic.

Everybody has one: