Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2003

slimqs is on a distinguished road
CAL 31 - Catalina 30 - Irwin 30 - Pearson 30

Hello I was just wondering if anyone out there has a CAL 31, Catalina 30, Irwin 30, or a Pearson 30. What is your thoughts on these four boats for cruising bahamas area. What advantages or disadvantages might they have? Thank you
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2003

paulk is on a distinguished road

For starters, the Catalina offers at least twice the space below and on deck as the Pearson, with lots of storage. Catalinas may not be as well put together as the Pearson, but a newer Catalina might be in equivalent condition to an older Pearson. The smaller boat will be easier to get off the sandbars you''ll run on to, and will likely be cheaper. You have to decide what you''re looking for.
Old 06-07-2003

slimqs is on a distinguished road

The boat will be for liveaboard and I plan to spend only 30k so they will all have to be mid 80''s boats. Thanks for your input
Old 06-12-2003

mattf is on a distinguished road

I love the Cal 31 in every respect. My ONLY issue would be the cockpit. It is very small. As roomy as most 34''s below. For liveaboard, you would be fine. Just can''t have 4-5 in cockpit comfortably. They sail great as well, if that is of importance. I would then go Pearson 303 next...

Good luck
Matt
Old 06-13-2003

chuck711 is on a distinguished road

I have a 33'' Cal 1988. Just bought last December. I removed the stern rail and for $150 had stern rail seats added. The cushions which bolted onto the rail was another $100. Gave me lots of room and is
very comfortable. Cal is a great boat!
Old 11-28-2007

vwell is on a distinguished road
Stern Seats for Cal?

Chuck711, you say you removed your stern rail and put stern seats in. How did you do that and how did it turn out? I've got a Cal 31 I really like, but the cockpit does get cramped. If I could do that for $150 I think I probably would.

Ron
Old 11-28-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimqs View Post
The boat will be for liveaboard and I plan to spend only 30k so they will all have to be mid 80''s boats. Thanks for your input
If you're going to be living aboard, I'd definitely go with the Catalina. It's big everywhere -- cockpit, below, on deck. Mid-1980s you can get a good one for $25,000.
Old 11-28-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
You guys do realize this thread is almost 5 years old, don't you? But in case the OP is still looking, there's been a family of three living onboard for 15 years, currently on a Catalina 30 at my dock. They absolutely love their boat and I have to admit, it is a huge 30 footer.

They were full time liveaboards before buying a house this year, even through some harsh NE winters - teenage daughter was born on their last boat, which was much smaller. I spoke with the dad last weekend - said the girls and he are going through some serious boat withdrawal and will continue to spend lots of time aboard all winter. I suspect they will end up renting the house out.
Old 11-28-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
TB-

It's only four-and-a-half years old...

VWELL-

Please check the dates of threads before replying and please don't revive dead threads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-28-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
make up your mind willya? y'all piss and moan when we keep the solar stik thing alive, and now ya piss and moan when an old thread is brought back to life, you can't have it both ways!

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs