Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011

nbarnes333 is on a distinguished road
Need help identifying this Cape Cod - interesting rudder

I came across this day sailer for sale and thought it might be a fun project boat. Can anyone help me identify this boat?

The builders plate says Cape Cod Shipbuilders and the number is 21 - 61, which I believe is hull 21 in 1961. I've scoured their web site to try to identify the model, with no luck.

I am very interested in figureing out this rudder configuration. (The boat is in the water so I haven't seen the bottom yet.)

Hopefully you can see the pictures. The tiller goes over the stern then to a rudder under the transom towards the keel. There is no centerboard, so Im assuming there's a keel under there.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Norm
Attached Thumbnails
Need help identifying this Cape Cod - interesting rudder-dscn0945-1.jpg   Need help identifying this Cape Cod - interesting rudder-dscn0957-1.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Why don't you call them up. They can probably give you a lot more information over the phone, since they're still in business.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-26-2011

Thanks! I did send them an email and will definately call them. Figured I better have the accurate length first. hoping to get back up there to look at it this weekend.
Old 01-26-2011

By the way, love the quote at the end of your post! Very appropriate given the love it will take to get this beauty up to par!
Old 01-26-2011

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
It would be helpful if you gave the length of the boat, but that appears to be a Bullseye, which was a fiberglass version of the Herreshoff 12 1/2 (waterline length) also known as a Doughdish. The Bullseye had several notable differences from the original Herreshoff 12 1/2's. The Bullseye's were bermuda rigged (rather than gaff), had a small cuddy cabin, some had self bailing cockpits. Depending on who you believe the Bullseyes were slightly heavier, and had less sail area and ballast than the 12 1/2's.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 01-26-2011
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Old 01-26-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
my friend's boat is about thirty feet from the hull molds for that boat iirc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 02-09-2011
Professional Sailor

DoubleShotDejaVu is on a distinguished road
This is a Cape Cod Shipbuilding Co Bullseye - and is, as you suspected, the 21st bullseye hull built in 1961. The rudder is attached at the transom and at the deadwood behind the keel by pintles and gudgeons. Feel free to message me with any further questions.
Old 02-09-2011
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleShotDejaVu View Post
This is a Cape Cod Shipbuilding Co Bullseye - and is, as you suspected, the 21st bullseye hull built in 1961. The rudder is attached at the transom and at the deadwood behind the keel by pintles and gudgeons. Feel free to message me with any further questions.
Just curious, are you affiliated with Cape Cod Shipbuilding? If so, you really do need to read and follow the SPECIAL INTEREST DISCLOSURE post in the boat buying forums.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 02-11-2011

Thanks for the assistance! It is indeed a Bulls Eye. Quite an interesting boat. Designed by Nathiel Herschoff and built since the early 1900's. I did contact the builder and I must say what an impressive response I got...specs, details, history...they were extremely responsive and helpful. No wonder they have been around for 100 years!