SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   It's not a Star, is it? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/71666-its-not-star.html)

Pieter 01-28-2011 04:37 AM

It's not a Star, is it?

4 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,

I've been reading this forum for quite a while, but never bothered to register, 'till now. I have a question regarding the determination of a small sailing boat I'm interested in. The owner doesn't know what kind of boat it is, but the mark in the sail (or how do you call it?) says it's an Star.

It obviously isn't the Olympic class Star and I'm unable to find anything online about other sorts of Star sailing boats so I'm guessing the rigg isn't original.

Anyone has an idea?

The ad is in Dutch but the most important facts are: length: 6 mtrs (19 feet), width: 2 mtrs (6.5 feet) and the depth is 1.25 mtrs (4 feet). The ad claims it sleeps two.

Thanks!

Jeff_H 01-28-2011 07:17 AM

I do not know what class that it is, but it is clearly not an International Star Class boat (the olympic class Star). The rig is not from a International Star either. My best guess is that this is a class which has the word 'Star' in its name or is named for a specific star, (i.e. Polaris, North Star or Sirius) and therefore uses a Star as its logo. It is possible but unlikely that the sail was recycled from a Star class boat, but I say unlikely since the proportions of a Star mainsail are very different than the proportions of the sail in question, and Star sail numbers are up in the thousands.

Jeff

QuickMick 01-28-2011 09:05 AM

if you contact the seller and ask them to give you the hull identification number, the first three letters are the manufacturers code.

Faster 01-28-2011 09:10 AM

Nifty little boat, but of course Jeff is correct in that the rig is not Star class either.

sailingdog 01-28-2011 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuickMick (Post 692014)
if you contact the seller and ask them to give you the hull identification number, the first three letters are the manufacturers code.

Unless it is a home built, user finished or built before 1972, when HINs were optional and not standardized.

QuickMick 01-28-2011 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 692049)
Unless it is a home built, user finished or built before 1972, when HINs were optional and not standardized.

as is the case with mine.... on my title they just use the info from the id plate for my hin, so my hin for practical purposes is 3075=loa and hull #

PierreMundo 01-28-2011 01:38 PM

HIN in Europe?

Contact owner, he will give you the answer.

Succes ermee. Let op de diepgang. (watch draft)

Pieter 01-30-2011 07:41 AM

Thanks for the replies.

The problem is the owner doesn't know what kind of boat it is either.
I saw the boat today. The owner thought it was built in 1980, but looking at the polyester it looks a bit newer, I would say 1990s. I was unable to find an hull identification nr of something like that.

Another problem is the height. Compared to a Centaur that was in the harbour I'd reckon it's about 8 mtrs.

The owner said it might be a french boat, with a non original rigg.
Thanks for the remark about the draft, but it will be no problem on the Buiten IJ.

I'll let you guys know if I find out anything (i'm gonna see if there are any french sailing forums!).

paulk 02-01-2011 12:38 PM

For French sailing forums you can try Hisse et oh
Bon vent!