Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2011

bugbitten is on a distinguished road
Here are links to the pictures I took of the two boats. I hope navigating the pages isn't too big a headache.

Tartan 33 #2

Pearson 323 Kinsale
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2011

paul323 is on a distinguished road
I have a 323, and am therefore biased...however in this case the Tartan may have the edge. Partly it's the price of the 323 - $17K is suspiciously cheap. And as I looked through the photos, there seemed to be plenty to check out/do...

A good bit of advice I got from a broker once - look at a new boat as a collection of parts, not a boat. Take a careful look at the equipment - sails, engine, mast, hardware, electrical, etc. What needs to be upgraded, replaced...the contents may well exceed the value of the boat! And if you are like many of us, when you have bought the boat there may not be a lot left over for those upgrades....

Pearson vs Tartan in identical condition - personally, both good boats, but I'd go for the Pearson. In this case....
Old 02-08-2011

Paul,

I suspect that, were the two boats in similar condition, we'd lean toward the Pearson, too. Seems to have more character (which, of course, means more sanding and varnishing) and just feels more comfortable below. I like the heavier displacement and better tankage, too, although I'm not sure about that engine access! If we don't jump on what may be a bargain price for the T33, we may go look at what seems to be a much nicer P323 in Connecticut. I've been owing my brother in law in New Haven a visit, anyway. What better excuse than boat ogling?

John
Old 02-08-2011

neoxaero is on a distinguished road
On the 323 I think I would be concerned about crevis corrosion on the chain plates for the shrounds. The sealant job looks sketchy at best and has probably been that way for a long time.

Although looking at the boat I think if you could get it cheaper than what its listed for it may be worth purchasing it

The tartan looks good over all but it looks like the joint at the stub and keel is cracked - I would be concerned theres some water intrusion to the keel bolts (but i very well could be wrong and who knows what the bottom of the pearson looks like)

The tartan needs new running rigging

After looking at both boats - Unless you could get the pearson for an insanely low price and a survey doesn't find any hugely expensive problems with it - I would go with the Tartan - It looks like its been maintained a hell of a lot better than the Pearson
Old 02-08-2011

What looks like a patch to rear of the keel is actually part of how the keel is assembled. It's not a repair.

We are going to put in a pretty low offer on the Tartan, thinking the Pearson could be a good buy as an alternative, given what the broker thinks it might go for (under 10!), but it's going to need a lot more than running rigging to get it on the water, I suspect. The broker did say the Pearson was out sailing at the end of last season and that the Volvo ran well at that point.

Actually, I reread that note and the 323 has been sitting at the pier for about a year; however, they did run the diesel back in October before winterizing it.

Lots of bottom growth!

Last edited by bugbitten; 02-08-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-26-2011

NautiJo is on a distinguished road
T33 vs 323

I owned a 323 for 10 years and felt the boat was built like a tank. For a relatively heavy boat she sails quite well in light air and handles heavy air very well also. She doesn't point as well as I would have liked but that goes with the shoal draft and lack of inboard sheeting. The T33 will definitly be the faster of the 2.
I recently looked at a couple T33'S and think they don't stack up well as far as layout goes (very poor IMHO).
The engine can be a problem as many came with a Volvo diesel which I have been warned by my mechanic can be very costly to maintain if problems arise. If you pass on a $17,000.00 323 I would appreciate knowing where she is because I am considering buying another one.
Thank you and good luck.
Nauti Jo
Old 11-24-2011

Frmreilly is on a distinguished road
I own a P323 and here are my thoughts

Pro
Heavy
Balanced
Deep hull makes it ride like a caddy
Universal diesel smooth/reliable but can barely get me to 6pm with a clean bottom
Nice roomy interior
Comfortable head/shower
Nice galley

Negative
Shrouds make walking around the deck cumbersome and keep me from hauling the jib as tightly as I would want to point well
4.5 foot draft means the boat heels quickly and then locks in
No helm seat
Small table