Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2011
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
2011 Miami Boat Show

As usual I will be attending the Miami boat show on Weds and possible Thurs. If anyone else is going let me know.
I have the distinct pleasure of helping to deliver the new Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 to the boat show next week. 4 day sail from St Pete to Miami. This boat has been in every mag all over the world to include sailboat of the year. As always I will give in in depth write up on this boat and others that are there. I am excited to sail this new Jeanneau. Since I am in the market for my next boat, time will tell if I love this boat or its sister the new 43 which is being made as we speak. This boat I am sailing was made in France I believe. The new ones being delivered here in the US are being made in South Carolina. I have heard from the Benneteau side of the house that this factory has some quality control issues. So if anyone has knowledge on that, let everyone know.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2011

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
While on the topic, how would you compare the Miami show with others on the east coast? I've been thinking about planning a vacation around a boat show and have never been to Miami or Annapolis. Los Angeles boat shows have been pretty dismal lately and always have the same Hunters, Catalinas, etc. I'd like to go to a show where I could see a better variety, including European boats that never come to the west coast. It also seems that the larger shows have a better assortment of lectures, etc.

Mike
Old 02-03-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
I have the distinct pleasure of helping to deliver the new Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 to the boat show next week. 4 day sail from St Pete to Miami. This boat has been in every mag all over the world to include sailboat of the year. As always I will give in in depth write up on this boat and others that are there. I am excited to sail this new Jeanneau. Since I am in the market for my next boat, time will tell if I love this boat or its sister the new 43 which is being made as we speak. This boat I am sailing was made in France I believe. The new ones being delivered here in the US are being made in South Carolina. ....
Melrna,

I would be very interested in hearing your opinion about the sailing potential of the 409. I have talked with some guys that have sailed the boat and I have read what several sail testers said about it. It would be nice to compare those impressions with your own.

Do you know if you are going to sail the performance version of the boat or the standard one? (the performance one has an improved standing and running rigging, an overlapped genoa and better quality sails).

We have talked extensively about that boat on the "interesting sailboats" thread. If you want to post your comments also there you will be more than welcomed

Regarding the 439 I have been inside one last week, on the Dusseldorf boat show. The boat is very similar to the 409, only a little bit bigger all around. If you like music, the 409 comes with an excellent sound system (I loved it so much that will mount one of those on my next boat).

The great thing on the 409, besides its good interior, is that it really has enough storage space on the cockpit to suit most users needs, and I mean in the three cabin boat. That is very rare on a 40ft, that in most cases, would need the sacrifice of one cabin to have a decent storage space on the cockpit.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 02-03-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-03-2011
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

I have been to most boat shows in the last few years and the only one I would recommend is the Annapolis one. Even there you wouldn't see the European models that Paulo has been writing about. The Miami boat show will mostly have the big 3, Hunter, Catalina, Benneteau/Jeannuea, plus Island Packet and usually a Passport 54 I believe. It is a small show now with the economy the way it is. The vendor area is large because of the large powerboat presence here in Miami. To see what the Europeans are building I would take the wife to either the London, Paris or Dusseldorf show and have a great vacation while you are at it. Probably cheaper too with airfare. Not sure who would spend more you or your wife. Leave the checkbook and credit cards home. LOL.....
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 02-03-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
... To see what the Europeans are building I would take the wife to either the London, Paris or Dusseldorf show and have a great vacation while you are at it. Probably cheaper too with airfare. Not sure who would spend more you or your wife. Leave the checkbook and credit cards home. LOL.....
Melrna,

Unless the interest resides only in French boats, the place to go is Dusseldorf. It is bigger for a larger margin. Almost all French boats will be there, but also boats from all Europe.

The town is lovely (it is the German city with the higher living standard, 6th on the world's raking), good food, better beer great shopping and fast railway connections to lots of interesting places, namely Cologne (20m), Aachen (Aix-la-Chapelle), Amsterdam (2 hours) and Brussels (2.5 hours).

Regards

Paulo
Old 02-03-2011

HeartsContent is on a distinguished road
Attended the St. Petersburg boat show this year and for my 1st boat show, it was pretty impressive. I spent the entire day looking at just the sailboats! I couldn't imagine a bigger one. There did seem to be more boats than were advertised.

The Jeanneau 409 was there and it is a really nice boat. The only strange thing was a step down going into the forward cabin that caught me by surprise.

They were making some pretty big claims about it's sailing speed!

Honestly, the most interesting boat, to me, was the Catalina 355 - something was just nice about this boat.
Old 02-03-2011

KiteRider is on a distinguished road
Are you sailing out of Harborage marina? I'm making the same trip, but taking a detour to the Tortugas.
Old 02-03-2011
BoatSmith

Boatsmith is on a distinguished road
The Miami show is the 2nd largest sailboat show in the country. In the past it has been billed as having the most sailing catamarans of any of the US shows. I agree with Malissa the Annapolis show is indeed the coolest. Annapolis just oozes sailing. We will be at the Miami show with our Tiki 30 this year. Come on by and say hi.
Old 02-04-2011
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Miami is the second largest boat show not for sailboats but because of the powerboats here, in particular the mega yachts. If you want to see Catamarans this is the show for that since all the brokers are in Ft Lauderdale. The show is spread out throughout Miami and Ft Lauderdale not centrally located as in other shows. The wet boats (those in the water) are grouped based on their type. The sailboats will be at Bayside. The sailboats used to occupy all the docks here but in the last few years sadly just one finger.
The vendor area on the other hand is huge. I think it is larger than Annapolis. Once again due to the large power boat presence.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 02-04-2011

mstern is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Miami is the second largest boat show not for sailboats but because of the powerboats here, in particular the mega yachts. If you want to see Catamarans this is the show for that since all the brokers are in Ft Lauderdale. The show is spread out throughout Miami and Ft Lauderdale not centrally located as in other shows. The wet boats (those in the water) are grouped based on their type. The sailboats will be at Bayside. The sailboats used to occupy all the docks here but in the last few years sadly just one finger.
The vendor area on the other hand is huge. I think it is larger than Annapolis. Once again due to the large power boat presence.

Down to just one finger of that big marina? Wow, that is sad. Will they have the sailboat vendors' area at Bayside again, or have they consolidated that into the Civic Center powerboat vendor display?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.