Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2011

mcrow33 is on a distinguished road
Hunter 30 Vs Endeavor 32

I'm looking at two boats an 77 Endeavor 32 and a 79 Hunter 30. Both boats are priced about the same. I'm will need to deside which one to pay to have a survey done on. I have gone over both boats and both have there high and low points. Anybody want to way in with an opinion?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2011

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
All things being equal go with the endeavor
Old 02-12-2011

OK, why? I'm guess I may be leaning that way. First of all, I will be sailing mostly on Lake Champlain. I feel the Endeavor may be a more forgiving boat, but the Hunter will be faster and beat to windward better. Also the Endeavor has a 20hp to the hunter 12hp engine. Thanks
Old 02-12-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Without more information, there's no way to say which is a better deal. Have you read the Boat Inspection Trip Tips thread I started in the Boat Buying Forum? It would give you a pretty good baseline for determining the condition of the boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-12-2011

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
The Endeavor 32 is a much better boat. However, the Hunter may be faster.
Old 02-12-2011

omaho5 is on a distinguished road
Champlain can be difficult sailing. I have seen some very bad conditions there.
The situation is compounded by the relative narrowness. I think it is about 12 miles wide at Burlington. Any boat that I would want to keep in Champlain would have to be quite seaworthy AND point well.
The Endeavor displaces about 3k more than the Hunter and may not point as well also.
Old 02-12-2011

paulk is on a distinguished road
The fact that the Endeavor is two years older, but priced similarly to the newer boat is a hint.
Old 02-13-2011

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
I dont have any personal experience with either of these brands but I have always heard that Endeavor built a higher quality boat. There is a lot of Hunter bashing on Sailnet. And that is probably where my bias comes from. I do have friends that own Hunters and they have all been happy with them.

Without looking at either of the boats I can only speak in generalities.
Old 02-13-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
MarkCK--

Hunter has earned a bad reputation over a series of boats that were poorly built. However, there were many Hunters, most notably the Cherubini designed boats, that are generally well regarded in terms of both construction and design. The Hunter 30, IIRC, was a Cherubini design. From a post on the Hunter Owners website:

Quote:
John Cherubini designs
The first boat my dad designed for Hunter (getting the contract through Bob Seidelmann) was the H-25, what I call on here the 'Mk 1', in 1972. The boat was produced for the '73 model year. (Mine is a '74. It was built in Marlboro, NJ, and sold by Sails Aweigh in Mantoloking, about 35 miles from where I found and bought it.)

There followed, in this order, the 30 in '73, the 27, in '74, the 33, the 37, then the 35 and 36 (essentially both stretched 33s), the 54 in '78-79. The 25 and some others went through redesign by the time my dad was busier with the C-44 and C-48 for Cherubini Boat (and the Raider 33 later). You will note that the hull of the 25 looks pretty dated with its narrow IOR-flavored transom by the time of the new (raised)deck mold, about '77 or '78.
Endeavors were not a higher quality boat AFAIK. Per a Gord May post over on Cruiser's Forums:

Quote:
Both the Irwin’s & Endeavour’s were “economy” boats, built to a price point.

Unless meticulously maintained (or recently ‘refitted’), they will likely be requiring major work. Unless you are capable of (& willing to) doing most of the work yourselves, these boats may turn out much more expensive than anticipated.

Only a thorough survey (& valuation) will reveal whether either of these particular boats will be a bargain, or a money-pit.
IMHO, the Hunter is likely a better boat choice. One other point to consider is that Hunter, unlike Endeavor, is still in business and you can probably get some support from the manufacturer.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-03-2011

Just thought I would provide an update. I decided to go with the Endeavour 32. I had the survey done yesterday. It passed with no problem. The deck and hull were solid. There are a few minor issues that needs addressing. But in the surveyors oppionion the boat could be splashed today. Now is winter would just quit, and the ice would melt. Maybe we can do some sailing.