Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2011

TJMAC is on a distinguished road
Advice Please

Hello,
I'm pretty new to sailing(but not to boating in general), and would really appreciate some advice from the knowledgeable members here. I'm in my early 30's, single, no kids(that I know of) and am in the process of selling my business which will allow me to spend a year or two learning seamanship and sailing 24/7 if I wish(and I very much do!). Over the last month I've been doing quite a bit of research on different yachts in anticipation of realizing my dream. Ideally I'd love to find something that will be forgiving during my learning curve yet not something that I outgrow or get bored with after having the opportunity of sailing as much as I wish . In time( when I think or more importantly when very experienced sailors think) I'm ready, I'd like to do some island hopping, long distance cruising and ocean passages. Again, when I'm ready, some of this will be single handed or the longer,more challenging sailing will be with 1 or 2 others with at least one whom is experienced. So far I've narrowed it down to these- 1.Pogo( a pre owned 10.50, or 8.50 or maybe even a 40 that could be found for less than $200k)
2. Sunfast 3200- new or a year or 2 old
3. Akilaria 9.50 or pre owned 40
4. Some kind of pre owned open 40 style.
It's probably apparent that I'm a big fan of open transom style yachts and a lush interior is not a priority in the least. Set up for short or single handing, under $200k,livable for a month or more of exploring, between 32-40 feet,safe as possible and ocean crossing abilities are paramount. If it helps, I'll be sailing out of Naples Fla. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2011

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
Where are you at on the learning curve? Never sailed, beginer? been sailing for years? The type of boats you are describing are not really meant for someone that is new to sailing.
Old 02-16-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
The big issue with all of these boats is how the draft will constrain the harbors/anchorage's you can enter in your travels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-16-2011

I fully admit that my experience in sailing is limited. Very limited. I have spent a few days at sea, but not crewing. I'm aware that the boats I listed are not considered " beginner's boats" but the last thing I want to do is buy something that doesn't fit my needs or makes me wish I had bought something else in a year's time. I have a few friends that have spent years and years sailing and would be open to absorbing info from all I can as well as being on the water 4-6 times a week. Again, I have a budget of $150k-$200k, have no issues with something pre owned, want a relatively Spartan interior( Pogo like) and obviously a yacht that is as safe as possible as well as ocean worthy. Thanks!!
Old 02-16-2011

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
There are probably plenty of boats that fit that description. Although you need to look at even relatively new boats very closely. Most of them will have been raced hard and have had a much harder life that a comparable cruising boat.

If you dont mind doing some leg work and doing your own fitting out you might take a look at this 44 footer. It can be had new for under 200k. It falls into you general parameters.

Varianta Segelyachten - from Dehler with love
Old 02-16-2011

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road
J/111
Old 02-16-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Take some time to peruse this thread, if you haven't already...

Interesting Sailboats

You're in a great position... good budget and you seem to know what you want. I'd only advise you not to get any more boat than you truly need... Best of luck.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 02-16-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-16-2011

Thank you. I hope I'm not wrong in my thinking of the analogy of just because someone may be a new driver that they should buy an '84 Lincoln as opposed to a pre owned M3..... Are Pogo 8.50, Akalaria 9.50, Sunfast 3200,etc..Very difficult to learn on or are they easier due to being designed for single handing?
Old 02-16-2011

Mark1948 is on a distinguished road
You Mention lots of singlehanded sailing, a good review of this forum noted experts will caution on going large as opposed to functional. From my experience and observations no a lot of 40 footers are singled. Also, how much time and money do you want to put into maintenance? I'd rather sail than varnish.
Old 02-16-2011

LakeSuperiorGeezer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMAC View Post
I fully admit that my experience in sailing is limited. Very limited. I have spent a few days at sea, but not crewing. I'm aware that the boats I listed are not considered " beginner's boats" but the last thing I want to do is buy something that doesn't fit my needs or makes me wish I had bought something else in a year's time...
Get Beth Leonard's The Voyager's Handbook, The Essential Guide to Bluewater Cruising. I think she does a good job of analyzing various sizes of boats and what one needs for bluewater. As already mentioned, if a person gets a boat that is too big, you spend your time fixing it rather than sailing. Also, if you make a mistake docking, it can be spectacularly destructive whereas a learnerís keelboat in the 20 to 24 foot range is likely to do little more than bruise your ego. Remember also that you are going to have to budget money for getting the boat fixed up to suit your needs and Leonardís book goes into that also. If you decide to skip the learnerís boat, then you are going to have to really take a lot of formal sailing courses and some private lessons also. Remember that you have to be responsible for yourself, your crew and whomever you might run into. To me your boat is the size for a family.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.