Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2011
USCG 100T Master/Sail/Tow

sailndoug is on a distinguished road
1983 Ta-Shing Sailing Yacht

Treasury dept. has an auction coming up. So nice to dream...

1983 Ta-Shing Sailing Yacht: Length: 39’09”, Beam: 12’09”, Draft: 6’00”, Fiberglass Construction, Hull ID: TSQ401070883, Engine: Universal Motors Inboard Diesel, In-line 4 Cylinder, Fresh Water Cooled, Model: 5444, S/N: 400341, Rated 44 HP @ 3000 RPM, Electric Start, Alternator, Heat Exchanger, Fitted w/ Reverse/Reduction Gear, Model: Not Accessible, S/N: Not Accessible, Equipment: Ritchie Magnetic Compass and Binnacle, Raytheon RL9 LCD Radar, Combi Autohelm 5000 Autopilot, Standard Horizon Matrix AIS GX2100 VHF Radiotelephone, Pioneer DEH-P7000BT Bluetooth USB AM/FM Radio, Aiwa Speakers (2 EA), Memorex Speakers (2 EA), Gas System Three Burner Propane Range and Oven, Freezer Box, Double Stainless Steel Sink, Hand Operated Anchor Windlass, CQR and Danforth Anchors w/ Attached Chain Rode, Walker Bay Dinghy, Yamaha 4 HP Outboard Engine, Wind Turbine Generator, Solar Panel, 1 EA, Gear is Stuck in Reverse and Will Not Shift. Not Available for Preview at Auction Location. See Vendor Page for Details, National Liquidators DBA – Ft. Lauderdale
U.S. Treasury - Auctions - Boats
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2011

RichH will become famous soon enough
Wow. TaShing is one of the 'premier' Taiwanese yards. Only down side will be the 'screwed-down' teak decks, if not already replaced. Probably a Panda 40 or Baba 40.
Old 02-16-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Of course, you will be buying this boat sight unseen and likely AS IS... and it could well be severely damaged, especially if it was confiscated from a drug dealer or something similar. The transmission may be severely damaged, so consider that when placing your bid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-16-2011

RichH will become famous soon enough
Just start at $150-160K and back-out the price for all the 'consumables' - engine, decks, sails, electronics, 15±% for structural repair, etc. ... and that would be a close bid.
1983 TA SHING YACHTS PANDA 40 Cruiser (Sail) For Sale (B22795)
Old 02-16-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Just start at $150-160K and back-out the price for all the 'consumables' - engine, decks, sails, electronics, 15±% for structural repair, etc. ... and that would be a close bid.
1983 TA SHING YACHTS PANDA 40 Cruiser (Sail) For Sale (B22795)
$150k to $160k For a 1983 40 foot Chinese takeaway NO WAY!

Half that might be a reasonable starting point but I would not work from this premise anyway.

This would be a gamble even at 5k so you need to decide "Do you feel lucky?".
Old 02-16-2011

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
You would probably only need to replace the heads, transmission, wiring, fawcets, shower heads, plumbing, water tanks, fuel tanks, fuel lines, cushons, upholstry, steering cables, prop shaft, stuffing box, hatch lenses, re-powdercoat hatches, windows, port gaskets, port lenses, recore 1/2 the deck, any stainless steel from crevice corrosion, lines, sails, anchor chain, refrigeration, toe rail bolts, propane lines, propane tank, headliner, winches, blister repair, paint, and varnish, countertops, thru hulls, electronics, rebuild the engine, heat exchanger, water heater, exhaust hose, exhaust loop, batteries, battery cables, and lugs, alternator, inverter, fresh water pump, sump pump, salt water pump, fuel pump, fuel valves, sea strainer, lighting, heating / cooling system, vhf. Should only take about 3 years for 1 person to do full time. Oh and don't forget yard fees! So offer a BUCK! And be prepared to walk away... everything in a 30 year old boat will cost you money to take to the dump, and there isn't a nut or bolt you will remove that you won't find a problem underneath, or something done wrong. Oh and when you are done, it won't be worth half of what the parts cost, and $0 per hour of your time, and after doing all that and more, you won't even remember how to sail when it's ready to hit the water.
Spend twice as much as you can afford on the newest boat you can find, and go SAILING NOW! I will check back in 3 years, tell me I was wrong, and I will give you the dollar. It's the last one I have.

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
Old 02-17-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Gee, don't be such an optimist. Tell it to him straight. It says no preview prior to auction. If one were interested in such a boat it would be worthwhile to go see. You only find things if you look for them. That's how I found my fat old ketch.
Old 03-15-2011

TaShing40 is on a distinguished road
The new owner of the Ta-Shing 40

i actually bought this sailboat at the auction. She is in amazing shape. Just need to do some varnish work all around and clean up the teak up top. Inside is a work of art. Pure beauty. Whoever had this boat before really really took care of her. ill try to post some pics up in a flickr album and link it when i get time. take care
Old 03-16-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Good for you!
Old 03-16-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaShing40 View Post
i actually bought this sailboat at the auction. She is in amazing shape. Just need to do some varnish work all around and clean up the teak up top. Inside is a work of art. Pure beauty. Whoever had this boat before really really took care of her. ill try to post some pics up in a flickr album and link it when i get time. take care
Good gamble or did you manage to get an in depth look at her before bidding.