Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2011

Andrewbradley is on a distinguished road
Sabre 38 vs Wauquiez 38

I am looking to buy a boat around 38 feet with good offshore capabilities but reasonably fast and elegant.
I love the Sabre 38 mkll, well built and extremely beautiful but found storage a little limited as we would be spending 1 month to 6 weeks cruising at a stretch. The one I looked at was a cb so no bilge space and lockers taken up with tanks, calorifiers and pumps.
I am also cosidering looking at the Wauquiez 38's both Hood mkll and Centurion as they seem to be very well built and good sailing boats. The 2 private sleeping cabins are a must.
I have been on a Centurion 40 and was very impressed by the internal volume of the hull but as yet have never seen a 38.
Does anyone have any views or perhaps may have sailed on a Sabre and a Wauquiez.The Tartan 372 also looks a stunning boat but I need some opinions as I am on the wrong side of the pond to view any!
Any help appreciated.

Andrew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2011

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Question Where... ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewbradley View Post
Does anyone have any views or perhaps may have sailed on a Sabre and a Wauquiez.The Tartan 372 also looks a stunning boat but I need some opinions as I am on the wrong side of the pond to view any!
Any help appreciated.

Andrew.
Your personal profile is blank... Any particular "pond?"

L

Last edited by olson34; 02-17-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-17-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
His mention of a 'calorifier' makes me think Europe....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-17-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Olson34-

The pond is British euphemism for the Atlantic ocean. Calorifiers are the British way of saying WATER HEATER... Though it should be STOWAGE on a boat, not STORAGE.... STORAGE is for landlubbers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-17-2011

sidney777 is on a distinguished road
I bet he learned his lesson. How dare he come on here and ask sensible questions ?
Old 02-17-2011

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Geography and language

I suspect that Faster has it pegged. Sailingdog, otoh, has his caps key stuck again....

Main point is that a lot of new posters (and some not so new) log into boards like these with zero info in their bio. Then they ask questions that are actually vessel or location specific.
It helps a lot when they fill in the basics of where they sail or live and what sort of boat they have - if they have one.

Regards,
L
Old 02-17-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by olson34 View Post
I suspect that Faster has it pegged. Sailingdog, otoh, has his caps key stuck again....
NO, THE CAPS LOCK ISN'T STUCK.

Quote:

Main point is that a lot of new posters (and some not so new) log into boards like these with zero info in their bio. Then they ask questions that are actually vessel or location specific.
It helps a lot when they fill in the basics of where they sail or live and what sort of boat they have - if they have one.

Regards,
L
That's why I wrote the post that I link to in my signature, since it helps people hit the ground running with hints like how to make a good OP in a thread and such. (see, told ya it wasn't stuck...almost no caps here... )

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-17-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewbradley View Post
I am looking to buy a boat around 38 feet with good offshore capabilities but reasonably fast and elegant.
I love the Sabre 38 mkll, well built and extremely beautiful but found storage a little limited as we would be spending 1 month to 6 weeks cruising at a stretch. The one I looked at was a cb so no bilge space and lockers taken up with tanks, calorifiers and pumps.
I am also cosidering looking at the Wauquiez 38's both Hood mkll and Centurion as they seem to be very well built and good sailing boats. The 2 private sleeping cabins are a must.
I have been on a Centurion 40 and was very impressed by the internal volume of the hull but as yet have never seen a 38.
Any help appreciated.

Andrew.
For what its worth I crewed on a Tartan 40 and had some friends that had a Tartan 372. The 372 was a lot like the 40 on deck, but I liked the below deck layout of the 40 much better than the 372. I even prefered the layout of the older Tartan 37 better than the 372, but still probably would have chosen a 372 over the 37 assuming that is you could find one for sale. It seems they didn't build a whole lot of either of those boats and there generally aren't a bunch on the market even over here on the East Coast of the US. That said, I'd suggest you at least see what Tartan 40's might be available. (Its got the Scheel Keel like the 372.)

The Sabre 38 is a beautiful boat but as you say, perhaps better suited to coastal crusing due to limited storage and tankage.

I was advised to take a look at the Hood's, but none were on the market in my area when I was last shopping for a boat.

I did look at a couple of Wauquiez Pretorian 35's but alas, the one that was in good enough condition and well equipped enough to have overruled my spouses objections, proved beyond my financial reach. The ones in my price range were too hard a sale to get past the financial review of my wife. If you can get by with a slightly smaller boat, this might be a good one to consider.
Old 02-17-2011

Andrewbradley is on a distinguished road
My god you're a touchy bunch!
Just filled in my profile so sorry for my lack of experience on the forum. ....At least your detective work was good and guessed the correct continent!
I am currently between boats having just sold my Tayana 37.
Thanks midlifesailor for the views on the 372. The tartan 40 looks a beautiful boat and I quite like the unusual layout of the nav station aft of the galley.
Andrew.
Old 02-17-2011

hwlovett is on a distinguished road
I sailed on a Hood Little Harbor 38 for a number of years, although I don't think it was a Wauquiez. It was an extremely well built boat, and a very strong performer with a 126 rating that it sailed to. There was not a stern cabin on that boat, only a quarterberth, and I believe this boat had lockers rather than pilot berths.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.