Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2011

Leander is on a distinguished road
Ideas on changing owners into sellers?

Hello all,

I have been looking at Ericson 35-2s in the southern California area. With one exception, all are pretty neglected and in fair to poor condition. I have been following Craigslist for San Diego and Los Angeles with no hits so far (only several weeks). I have mainly been looking at the listings on YachtWorld.com, and I think most or all of these are handled by brokers. In most cases, the owner is out of commission in some way or another and has not used (maybe not even seen) the boat in several years.

As I look at these boats and hear the owner story, it occurs to me that for every owner that has taken the initiative to list their boat, there may be many more who are just drifting along with inertia. They would be happy to sell if a buyer approached them, but it takes too much energy to take the active steps needed to list a boat for sale.

My question: Do any of you have any good ideas how to get the attention of these potential sellers? The Ericson owners website seems to be partially down, and can't seem to register or respond to new people. SailNet seems to be a good location, and perhaps this post will catch someone's eye. Any other ideas? I'm trying to find those owners who are currently so detached from sailing that they don't get on these forums. Maybe systematically asking various marina operators in Southern California would be a good approach. I guess I could drive to every storage yard in SoCal as well.

Thanks for any ideas!
Leander
Old 02-20-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I know owners of boats and personal aircraft that never use them. Never. One, in particular, is in museum condition.

They say they are going to sell them, but take no action at all. One was approached by a buyer and thought he would sell. He asked for absolutely top dollar and had no interest in negotiating. Needless to say, it didn't happen.

I think it is the emotional attachment to days past that will feel gone forever if they sell. I don't know how you break in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2011

"I think it is the emotional attachment to days past that will feel gone forever if they sell."

I guess I hadn't thought about it carefully, because I think you're absolutely right. I have hundreds of material objects in my own life that I keep for exactly that reason. And actually, that emotional attachment and memory alone probably has significant value, helps us do define our own self-worth. Further, the value can be measured in dollars in terms of whatever slip or maintenance costs they are paying, as well as the foregone sale income.

Leander
Old 02-20-2011

The problem is, the years go by, and the value of the material object to any potential buyer or inheritor falls to near zero.
Old 02-20-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leander View Post
The problem is, the years go by, and the value of the material object to any potential buyer or inheritor falls to near zero.
Yes, however, by definition, they don't need the money. Otherwise, it would be for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-20-2011

mikel1 is on a distinguished road
Keep trying at ericsonyachts.org I think is your best bet...
Old 02-20-2011

Thanks, Mike. I think they may be upgrading their website or changing to a different host or something. I'll be patient and check back on their site after a while.

Leander