Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2011

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road
Question Titling and USCG documentation

I need a bit of help with my next step. I received the NJ title and USCG bill of sale from broker today. I need to know what me next step is, do i apply for USCG doc or get title in my name first. The reason I as is because I am titling it in Virginia and vessels that are documented are not required to pay boat(2% of sale price) tax and they are not subject to property tax. I am afraid if I go to DMV for titling they will charge me the boat tax. Any help from someone with VA experience is greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by Cruiser2B; 02-27-2011 at 08:40 PM. Reason: i can't spell!!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Was the boat previously USCG documented ever?

If it wasn't then you should apply via the USCG Vessel Documentation Center. Forms are available HERE. Fee schedule is located here. Instructions are located here.

If it was previously documented, you'll be "returning the boat to documentation" as described in the webpages I linked to above.

You shouldn't title the boat, because the USCG documentation takes place of the title.

BTW, I don't believe that you are exempt from paying the 2% sales tax on boats if your boat is USCG documented. Nothing on the Virginia website indicates that you would be exempt from paying it. Also, didn't see anything that says a USCG documented boat is exempt from personal property taxes in VA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 02-27-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-28-2011

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
C2B

As usual, Dog is correct..you will still be required to pay sales tax, whether documented or titled. As to personal property tax, unless you live in one of the very few locations where the personal property tax is waived for boats (Hampton, VA is the only one I know of) you will be subject to yearly personal property tax, based on what the county (and their rates and how they calculate it) where you slip the boat is.

Most of the time, the selling broker will collect the state sales tax on your behalf and submit it to the state....check to make sure you have not already paid that. Keep the paperwork, as "proof" you have paid the state tax, in case you want to slip in MD for a while, they WILL ask, and then DEMAND proof of tax payment in your home location, so that you can pay them the difference between VA and MD. NC is no where as mercenary as MD is.

Your documentation application paperwork, with your paid tax receipt and copy of the bill of sale, insurance binder will be "your traveling papers" so that you can legally move the boat and use it, while you await your new numbers. Keep them on the boat, just in case you are stopped by LLEO or CG.

There is no requirement to "title" your now documented boat in VA, unless you want to give the state some more money.
Old 02-28-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
A number of waterfront counties in VA have waived property tax for boats. I know I paid no tax in Prince William County from 2002 to 2005 when I kept my boat there.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 02-28-2011

Ok, so if I understand the info so far, I just hang onto the title that the previous owner supplied, don't change it into mine as the documenting process will take care of that. The boat has a plaque in it where i do believe it had been documented in the past.

I know, the boat was very wet when we opened it....it looks like rain!
Attached Thumbnails
Titleing and USCG documentation-p1292128new.jpg  
Old 02-28-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
So, instead of applying for documentation, you'll be returning the boat to documentation, which costs $84, rather than the $133 for an initial documentation of a boat. IIRC, you'll need this form.

BTW, are you a US Citizen? If not, you'll have to state title and register the boat, since USCG documentation requires majority ownership by US Citizens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
Ok, so if I understand the info so far, I just hang onto the title that the previous owner supplied, don't change it into mine as the documenting process will take care of that. The boat has a plaque in it where i do believe it had been documented in the past.

I know, the boat was very wet when we opened it....it looks like rain!

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-28-2011

Yes, I am a proud American!