Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2011

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road
It looks like you've taken a close look at how you'll actually be using the boat. Often new buyers don't do this and buy more boat than they need or end up using.

Keep a cash reserve for the

Catalina 30 has been the most sucessful boat of its size and appears optimum for the purposes you describe, living on board, relatively easy on new sailors. Pratical Sailor in Feb '08 issue rated it in the top 3 of 70's era used boats (the other two were the Pearson 30 and Tartan 30) You may want to check the article out.

You can check out boat blue book prices to see when depreciation flattens out. That's usually a good age to buy a boat.

Keep a cash reserve for improvements you'll inevidably make. i.e.electronics are usally hanges at about the 7 year point.

The point about getting a boat that a prior owner(s) have put a lot into s key, essentail. I'd focus on boats that have been upgraded in areas important to you. Aso look to avoid future costs. For example repowering is hugely expensive and lotsa' sweat. If you're looking at an older bst that's importatant. Some 70's era boats developed hull blistering I wouldn't get a boat that has hull blistering also a big expensive job. Also water intrusion into the deck core is a big job to fix. Get a good surveyor. New sails an be a strong plus but if it's a lot of racing sails you may not reaal get too much benefit if your goal is cruising

Finally the great thing about a Catalina 30 is that there's so many of them (6,500 built). Check out the class organization website. Also on sailnet's builders forum. They'll be able to tell you anything you want to know about the boat. You'll probably also have a class organization in your area. They can be a good source to find out what boats are available.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by XINI View Post
$300 is that per month or per year?
I would keep her in a private docking place, so I guess I wont require that. But is there a "driving" insurance required, in case I sail into another boat?? (You may laugh now about such a stupid question....).

The vaccuum packers are a great idea, thanks.
There is no REQUIRED insurance, but if you should hit someone else's boat, or heaven forbid have your boat go aground or sink, you'll find the costs of not having insurance very, very pricey. For instance, if your boat sinks, and the fuel spills, you could be on the hook for environmental remediation costs of up to $800,000 from the USCG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-01-2011

XINI is on a distinguished road
Ok, yes I definitely don't wanna end up with such a bill... So insurance for sure. I should probably also calculate annual check-ups? This and the 30% repair fund, will then of course get my level down to a 10-15K $. Thanks for these considerations.
Does any of you have heard about someone buying boats owned by banks in an auction? I just saw an Ericson 30' 1984 for $10'000 listed for a "foreclosure" selling.
Old 03-01-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The problem with buying boats at a bank or other auction, is most are sold AS IS, without the ability to get a survey or even view the boat in person. That can mean you can end up with a boat that has an actual negative value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XINI View Post
Ok, yes I definitely don't wanna end up with such a bill... So insurance for sure. I should probably also calculate annual check-ups? This and the 30% repair fund, will then of course get my level down to a 10-15K $. Thanks for these considerations.
Does any of you have heard about someone buying boats owned by banks in an auction? I just saw an Ericson 30' 1984 for $10'000 listed for a "foreclosure" selling.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-01-2011

urbanhermit is on a distinguished road
if someone wasn't able to make payments, you would think the maintenance was probably substandard as well.