Looking for help with future Cruiser/Liveaboard Vessel; details below.... - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011

F15EWSO is on a distinguished road
Looking for help with future Cruiser/Liveaboard Vessel; details below....

“Hey what kind of boat do you guys think I should buy...”

Kidding! I do need some advice though. I am planning on buying a boat in June of 2012; 35-38 foot approx. We will live aboard for one year-ish leaving from DC area and hoping to cruise from Nova Scotia to Aruba during that period. Following good weather, gunkholing up the east coast and the Caribbean. Maybe a trip to Bermuda if I can convince my wife when we leave the North East heading south after hurricane season. Just general live-aboard stuff for a year. The departure date is a bit flexible as I see problems trying to get out of DC in December and even more problems in the discipline needed to LEAVE the Caribbean in the heart of the winter too.

I would like to buy a vessel for approx $65K. I would like to purchase the boat 6 months before we actually push off on the one year cruise. I feel the 6 months will permit time to adjust things that need adjusting, learn the boat and its nuances (or is that nuisances?), re-acquaint myself with some sailing etc.

We previously owned a Beneteau First-285 for approximately 5 years sailing it in the Albermarle sound, NC Outer Banks, and then taking it to the Southern Cheseapeake near Ft Monroe Va, sold it about 10 years ago. Now with the kids gone and retirement around the corner we are going bigger and farther. We had great “long weekend” trips in this boat but it woefully lacked fresh water capacity and refrigeration. It was a bit crowded but manageable for short trips for a small family. We’ve got to be more comfortable this time.

Lurking the sight for a few weeks and doing some looking around I weigh the risk of Older = Bigger based on my funds available. BUT (there is always a “but”) older can come with old boat problems. Ideally I find an older boat that has had extensive refit and upgrade and I am the beneficiary of someone else’s effort and money spent. Newer boats have some better layouts and “liveaboard” type features in some cases. There will always be “exceptions”, a cherry condition old boat or a newer boat that had a hidden problem, such is life.

What I would like from this esteemed panel is based on my situation above and funds available what boat would you buy given my plans as indicated? I apologize for the long post and the subsequent volumes folks could write on this subject. Most answers will have the “well it depends” in the answer too. I would welcome any response and will also be satisfied with “well I WOULDN’T buy a.... or here are the top THREE things I would look for first”. I’ve got over a year before I have to write a check so I have time to get this right.
v/r
F15EWSO
Boat Yr, 1989
Boat Length 43'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ideally I find an older boat that has had extensive refit and upgrade and I am the beneficiary of someone else’s effort and money spent.
Well I was looking for something similar and kept an open mind. I finished with a boat that matched the above quote.

High on my list of older boats was a CSY 37 deep draft owners version plan B. Big water tanks high internal volume and tough as an old boot. They would be well within your budget. Not the fastest thing around though.

I also looked at some 39' Corbin Cutters. If you fancy a project then there is one available in NJ which you cold get for around 15K. Needs an engine sails and an Interior refit. Solid boats that have circumnavigated.

A newer boat? well you might get a Beneteau - 390 Oceanis within your budget, good water tankage sails well esp if ou can find a deep draft version with slab reefing on the main. But I hate that turbo Volvo.
Old 03-05-2011

F15EWSO is on a distinguished road
TQA,
thanks for the response. I am concerned about the CSY 37's reputation as slow in lighter winds. I like to sail but I also like to get there and every Knot counts in 24 hr blocks. I will look at Corbins as well; its a daunting list of availability.

What is your issue with the Volvo turbo? And it appears you were looking at the same size as me but are sporting a 44' in the avatar? Why bigger and any regrets.
Boat Yr, 1989
Boat Length 43'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-05-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Yup the CSY 37 is SLOW!!! But if you are a cruiser just leave an hour or a day earlier. If you are in the Windies you will get near hull speed in the trades most days.

My boat is a Bombay Explorer 44 and she is a fast old lady. A cruising interior in a racing hull design. I can single hand her at the moment and I just hope that I am able to do so as I age.

Re the turbo. Turbos run HOT and you really need a HD cooling system to handle the extra heat.
I know of a few that have been replaced earlier than expected.

Last edited by TQA; 03-05-2011 at 10:40 PM.